Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting Powerwalls to discharge during peak times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if someone could help me understand setting my Powerwalls to run the home during peak times. I went into customize and selected time based and cost savings, my peak time is from 4pm to 9pm all year long both summer and winter. When I select the setting to adjust the Powerwalls to peak times then select off peak it will only allow me to set the off peak from 9pm to 11:30pm, wondering what I’m doing wrong.

Set your peak period to 4-9 pm, then click the Off-Peak button and it should take up the rest of the day.
If you see any gray area that is trying to do "Shoulder" (partial peak), since you don't have that by your description, slide it toward the peak period until it disappears.

Set your peak period to 4-9 pm, then click the Off-Peak button and it should take up the rest of the day.
If you see any gray area that is trying to do "Shoulder" (partial peak), since you don't have that by your description, slide it toward the peak period until it disappears.
Thanks for your help, finally got it. How long does it take for the new setting to show up on the app.

should take hold right away
One thing to note is that in Cost Saving, it will try to optimize the cost savings and does some things that I didn't like. For example, on Fridays it will start discharging in Shoulder to get SOC low for Off peak Weekend charging. So I eliminated all shoulder in my settings

Here's what I have set-up, and sometimes screenshots are more helpful...

SCE - TOU-D-A Winter Tariff:

SCE TOU-D-A Summer Tariff Rate by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

SCE - TOU-D-A Summer Tariff:

SCE TOU-D-A Winter Tariff Rate by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Here are the screenshots off my Tesla App

Untitled by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

I have a peak time defined over the weekend because I have a commitment to use 100% of the battery capacity over 52 weeks for the SGIP that I received for installing the PowerWall2 in 2017.

Hope this helps...

Here's what I have set-up, and sometimes screenshots are more helpful...

SCE - TOU-D-A Winter Tariff:

SCE TOU-D-A Summer Tariff Rate by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

SCE - TOU-D-A Summer Tariff:

SCE TOU-D-A Winter Tariff Rate by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Here are the screenshots off my Tesla App

Untitled by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

I have a peak time defined over the weekend because I have a commitment to use 100% of the battery capacity over 52 weeks for the SGIP that I received for installing the PowerWall2 in 2017.

Hope this helps...
What does the peak on the weekend of only 30 minutes get you?

sorry to revive this thread but we are researching adding some powerwalls to our existing solar. are you able to tell the powerwalls to power your home from 4-9pm as much as possible before pulling from the grid? and then recharge the powerwalls at night after midnight from grid power (rather than the sun)?

we are trying to understand whether or not powerwalls are capable of this to help offset the peak usage pricing.

sorry to revive this thread but we are researching adding some powerwalls to our existing solar. are you able to tell the powerwalls to power your home from 4-9pm as much as possible before pulling from the grid? and then recharge the powerwalls at night after midnight from grid power (rather than the sun)?

we are trying to understand whether or not powerwalls are capable of this to help offset the peak usage pricing.
The short answer is yes to both. The caveat is that not everybody gets grid charging enabled depending on the interconnection agreement with the utility and Tesla's interpretation of tax rules. The discharging during peak rate periods is a standard part of Tesla's time-based control setting.
Note that there is an additional export setting that some people have access to that allows exporting more than you use during the peak period. That can potentially help increase the payback from solar generation that would normally be exported during off-peak. I don't know if this is available in your area, though.

I have 2 powerwalls and I run the house on them during peak time (4 to 9pm) I have never had a problem recharging them even when it is raining or overcast.

During the worst of the Winter, I don't have enough solar generation to supply my usage during Peak hours. So, I end up paying Peak prices after the Powerwalls hit the Reserve. I currently have a small solar system, but I'm adding more solar this year. I also don't have Grid Charging and haven't pursued it because I took the ITC on the PWs. However, I am approaching 5 years since install, so I will not worry about that stipulation next Winter.

You’ve gotten good answers thus far, both are technically possible. However if you want to claim the full 30% tax credit, the rules say the powerwalls must be exclusively charged (>99%) by on-site renewable generation - not the grid.

You’ve gotten good answers thus far, both are technically possible. However if you want to claim the full 30% tax credit, the rules say the powerwalls must be exclusively charged (>99%) by on-site renewable generation - not the grid.
I don't believe this requirement applies any more now that batteries are listed explicitly in the tax credit: https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2022-40.pdf

So, for new installations the credit should apply whether the batteries are charged from the grid or from renewables, as long as they're larger than 3 kWh and used on the residence of the tax payer. Note that standalone battery installations are now eligible as well.

I don't believe this requirement applies any more now that batteries are listed explicitly in the tax credit: https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2022-40.pdf

So, for new installations the credit should apply whether the batteries are charged from the grid or from renewables, as long as they're larger than 3 kWh and used on the residence of the tax payer. Note that standalone battery installations are now eligible as well.
You might be right. This may be a difference between the new IRA rules and the prior ITC.

One thing to note is that in Cost Saving, it will try to optimize the cost savings and does some things that I didn't like. For example, on Fridays it will start discharging in Shoulder to get SOC low for Off peak Weekend charging. So I eliminated all shoulder in my settings
This was just the hint I needed! I observed the same behavior with mine - I am off-peak all weekend, and I observed my batteries discharging on Friday for no good reason.

I tried adding a 8:30-9:00am "peak time" on weekends as suggested above, hopefully this will fix it. The behavior I want is "only ever discharge during peak times."