Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting Powerwalls to discharge during peak times

Merrill

Merrill
Jan 23, 2013
Sonoma, California
Wondering if someone could help me understand setting my Powerwalls to run the home during peak times. I went into customize and selected time based and cost savings, my peak time is from 4pm to 9pm all year long both summer and winter. When I select the setting to adjust the Powerwalls to peak times then select off peak it will only allow me to set the off peak from 9pm to 11:30pm, wondering what I’m doing wrong.

MJ_CA_2019

Aug 19, 2020
Central CA
Set your peak period to 4-9 pm, then click the Off-Peak button and it should take up the rest of the day.
If you see any gray area that is trying to do "Shoulder" (partial peak), since you don't have that by your description, slide it toward the peak period until it disappears.

Merrill

Merrill
Jan 23, 2013
Sonoma, California
Set your peak period to 4-9 pm, then click the Off-Peak button and it should take up the rest of the day.
If you see any gray area that is trying to do "Shoulder" (partial peak), since you don't have that by your description, slide it toward the peak period until it disappears.
Thanks for your help, finally got it. How long does it take for the new setting to show up on the app.

Merrill

Merrill
Jan 23, 2013
Sonoma, California
Aren't you making the change on the app itself?
Sorry if i'm misunderstanding; where are you looking for the setting to "show up"?
Yes I finally got the peak and off peak settings, just wondering how long it takes for the new setting to show and the top of the app. I was on backup and now I changed it to time based costing saving mode.

getakey

Jan 28, 2020
should take hold right away
One thing to note is that in Cost Saving, it will try to optimize the cost savings and does some things that I didn't like. For example, on Fridays it will start discharging in Shoulder to get SOC low for Off peak Weekend charging. So I eliminated all shoulder in my settings

Merrill

Merrill
Jan 23, 2013
Sonoma, California
should take hold right away
One thing to note is that in Cost Saving, it will try to optimize the cost savings and does some things that I didn't like. For example, on Fridays it will start discharging in Shoulder to get SOC low for Off peak Weekend charging. So I eliminated all shoulder in my settings
I only have it set of peak and off peak.

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
Here's what I have set-up, and sometimes screenshots are more helpful...

SCE - TOU-D-A Winter Tariff:

SCE TOU-D-A Summer Tariff Rate by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

SCE - TOU-D-A Summer Tariff:

SCE TOU-D-A Winter Tariff Rate by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Here are the screenshots off my Tesla App

Untitled by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

I have a peak time defined over the weekend because I have a commitment to use 100% of the battery capacity over 52 weeks for the SGIP that I received for installing the PowerWall2 in 2017.

Hope this helps...

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Here's what I have set-up, and sometimes screenshots are more helpful...

SCE - TOU-D-A Winter Tariff:

SCE TOU-D-A Summer Tariff Rate by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

SCE - TOU-D-A Summer Tariff:

SCE TOU-D-A Winter Tariff Rate by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Here are the screenshots off my Tesla App

Untitled by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

I have a peak time defined over the weekend because I have a commitment to use 100% of the battery capacity over 52 weeks for the SGIP that I received for installing the PowerWall2 in 2017.

Hope this helps...
What does the peak on the weekend of only 30 minutes get you?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC