Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting stop time for charging, model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's speculated by some that most people would set a stop time designed to have a necessary charge level for departing in the morning. The problem is, though, if the owner's available current were to drop due to an infrastructure problem of some sort, they would wake up to find that the car hadn't charged to the level that they wanted and they would be stranded and blame Tesla. To avoid such a perception, and a flurry of "my car wasn't charged properly when I woke up" headlines, some people think that Tesla is avoiding the stop time feature.

It's speculated by some that most people would set a stop time designed to have a necessary charge level for departing in the morning. The problem is, though, if the owner's available current were to drop due to an infrastructure problem of some sort, they would wake up to find that the car hadn't charged to the level that they wanted and they would be stranded and blame Tesla. To avoid such a perception, and a flurry of "my car wasn't charged properly when I woke up" headlines, some people think that Tesla is avoiding the stop time feature.

I drove a LEAF for 6 years using a stop time timer and never once experienced an "infrastructure" problem where the available current dropped. I think twice in all that time I woke up to a car that didn't charge at all. One time was probably user error because I didn't get the connector seated (I should have confirmed proper seating by watching for the blue lights on the dash to blink--something I did from that day forward). The other time I had a legitimate fault in the EVSE. So I don't know if a "flurry" is a real possibility

Reactions: suwaneedad
Oh dammit I jinxed myself!

I have a home built dual-headed J1772 EVSE in my garage to charge both my wife's car and mine. It does have an issue that it's ground-fault protection circuitry is pretty easy to trigger and the EVSE shuts down. Until I resolve that, I've avoided using timers altogether, rather instead I usually just wait to plug in until bedtime and ensure it starts: the fault usually only triggers when you first plug the car in and it gets a momentary surge.

So last night my wife's car was actually done charging (but I didn't unplug her side). I plugged in the Tesla and verified charging was started and then went to bed. Unfortunately the car stopped charging at 12:45am and when I went out this morning, my wife's side had triggered a ground fault (I suspect it "woke up" in the middle of the night, saw it was plugged in, and initiated a charge--even though it was at nearly 100%). This was enough to trigger the fault and shut down the whole EVSE.

Should I write the SEC? Jim Chanos? :p:)

Now in this case I realize it's basically "my" fault because my EVSE is not as robust as one you would buy. Although I will say it would be nice to be able to set the app to issue a special notification is charging was interrupted (or in the scenario raised above, even if charge speed had dropped, which despite my earlier comment, IS actually a possibility with my setup on my shared EVSE if the second vehicle initiates a charge in the middle of the night), separate from the charge complete notification, that I could program to bypass my phone's Do Not Disturb feature. Of course for full functionality, this special alarm should also have a timer associated with it. If I'm in the middle of a symphony with Do Not Disturb set, I wouldn't want my loud obnoxious designed to wake me up notification sound to trigger. It would only be middle of the night kind of thing.

So I just started using "dashboard for tesla" app and they have a setting where you can customize automatic behaviors similar to the "start charging" feature on the Tesla app, this one adds "stop charging". It's a little pricey at $15 for the app plus another $3 to unlock automatic behavior function, but hey it's there.
Screenshot_20180817-083239_Dashboard for Tesla.jpg

Oh dammit I jinxed myself!

I have a home built dual-headed J1772 EVSE in my garage to charge both my wife's car and mine. It does have an issue that it's ground-fault protection circuitry is pretty easy to trigger and the EVSE shuts down. Until I resolve that, I've avoided using timers altogether, rather instead I usually just wait to plug in until bedtime and ensure it starts: the fault usually only triggers when you first plug the car in and it gets a momentary surge.

So last night my wife's car was actually done charging (but I didn't unplug her side). I plugged in the Tesla and verified charging was started and then went to bed. Unfortunately the car stopped charging at 12:45am and when I went out this morning, my wife's side had triggered a ground fault (I suspect it "woke up" in the middle of the night, saw it was plugged in, and initiated a charge--even though it was at nearly 100%). This was enough to trigger the fault and shut down the whole EVSE.

Should I write the SEC? Jim Chanos? :p:)

Now in this case I realize it's basically "my" fault because my EVSE is not as robust as one you would buy. Although I will say it would be nice to be able to set the app to issue a special notification is charging was interrupted (or in the scenario raised above, even if charge speed had dropped, which despite my earlier comment, IS actually a possibility with my setup on my shared EVSE if the second vehicle initiates a charge in the middle of the night), separate from the charge complete notification, that I could program to bypass my phone's Do Not Disturb feature. Of course for full functionality, this special alarm should also have a timer associated with it. If I'm in the middle of a symphony with Do Not Disturb set, I wouldn't want my loud obnoxious designed to wake me up notification sound to trigger. It would only be middle of the night kind of thing.
I am pretty positive the Tesla App has a setting for charge interruption notifications. Along with Charge start and Charge complete.

Reactions: bahree
I am pretty positive the Tesla App has a setting for charge interruption notifications. Along with Charge start and Charge complete.

It does, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't have a different sound for the Charging Interrupted vs. Charging Complete notification and I probably couldn't get my Do Not Disturb setting on my phone to allow "Charging Interrupted" notifications through, but not "Charging Complete". I.e. I would want a loud alarm noise for Charging Interrupted, but would not want to be awoken if all went well and my car completed charging at 3:45am!

BTW, +1 for the Dashboard for Tesla app. I had that installed for awhile and it has some great features that I would certainly pay for (not the recurring charges), but I ended up installing because it seemed to have a lot of difficulty staying connected to my car and most of the times the widgets (the real advantage of that app) were grayed out.

So I just started using "dashboard for tesla" app and they have a setting where you can customize automatic behaviors similar to the "start charging" feature on the Tesla app, this one adds "stop charging". It's a little pricey at $15 for the app plus another $3 to unlock automatic behavior function, but hey it's there. View attachment 326502
What else does the app do?

What else does the app do?

I've been using it for a couple of weeks. Went with the subscription plan because I can use my Google Opinion rewards $s.

Quite a few nice features. A few special tweaks that I have done.

-Automatic timer to turn the AC on about 15 minutes before I leave the office.
-Remind me if not plugged in at a certain time of night.

It also has sort of a 'Camper' feature to keep the cabin at a certain temp +- 5 degrees though it has a 'bit' of a bug. If you set it for 82 degrees (max) the M3 goes into heater mode and will blast heat suck battery power. (Got my internal temp to something like 130 degrees. Even apparently over road the automatic (105 degree) built in heat protection. I reported it to the developer who seems pretty responsive.

So I just started using "dashboard for tesla" app and they have a setting where you can customize automatic behaviors . . .

There are several different services out there that all offer similar features at similar price points. It might be worthwhile to look into a few of them and choose the one that offers the most features that you want for the cheapest price.

I've been using TeslaFi for a few months now and am happy with it. It also has the ability to set automatic timers for things like:
- Wake Up
- Flash Lights
- Honk Horn
- Lock Doors
- Unlock Doors
- Start HVAC
- Stop HVAC
- Set HVAC Temperature
- Start Charging
- Stop Charging
- Set Charge Limit
- Text me to remind me to plug in (if the state of charge is below X%)
- Text me to remind me that the doors are unlocked
- Text me to remind me to reduce the charge limit (if the charge limit is above X%)

These timers can be geo-fenced so that the alerts or activities only occur when the vehicle is in certain locations, and can be filtered so that the alerts or activities only occur when the vehicle is plugged in (or only when not plugged in)

Additionally it tracks all your drives, charging sessions, and time spent idle (parked or asleep) providing various statistics and metrics about your vehicle.

Reactions: Dmagyar
So I just started using "dashboard for tesla" app and they have a setting where you can customize automatic behaviors similar to the "start charging" feature on the Tesla app, this one adds "stop charging". It's a little pricey at $15 for the app plus another $3 to unlock automatic behavior function, but hey it's there. View attachment 326502

you can also do this with tasker and either the tasker plugin for tesla or just via API calls yourself.

i tried the dashboard app with the one week free trial and had considered buying it, but there's not much (if anything) there that you can't do yourself with tasker and API calls. i'm not sure it's worth it.

All of these are available via the APIs. More power to those who charge for this.

I did write a simple windows app that allows you to create tokens. I also wrote the code that calls these APIs and tested them.

Quite a few folks have written apps and web apps around these. I was going to create a windows one and open source it. More for me to play with than anything else.

And if you do us any apps please don’t use your Tesla credentials instead create a token and use that. And treat that token as your password and don’t share on any public sites.

You cN see my app, which is also open sourced at Windows Tesla Auth Token Generator