Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting the charge limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If one drives say 100miles/ day should you leave the charge limit at 80%[~260miles] or lower the charge limit? Or does it even make a difference?

"a difference"? Like something more than no difference at all? Sure. But it's starting to get into the realm of so small that it may not be very detectible or useful of an amount of difference. I've looked at some of the graphs from studies on this, and the benefit from getting away from the extreme high and low ends of the state of charge is not a straight line linear effect.

In other words, what's the difference in using 90% instead of 100%? Very significant--big bang for your buck there. What about 80% instead of 90%? It's also a 10% difference, but you've already gotten away from the most harsh part, so it's a bit less benefit. And 70% instead of 80%, still less, etc.

So this is always down to just finding a balance you like of being away from the top end some, but not so low that you have insufficient range and are frequently annoyed with trying to use the car.

I prefer charging to 80% when I charge so that I can bump up the state of charge (SOC) to 90% or higher if needed relatively quickly for a longer drive. I charge at home @ 240V/32A. I can add ~10% SOC into battery pack in about 1 hour to reach 90%. It would take approximately 2.5 hours if I were to charge from 80% to 100%.

Reactions: ArizonaJon
"a difference"? Like something more than no difference at all? Sure. But it's starting to get into the realm of so small that it may not be very detectible or useful of an amount of difference. I've looked at some of the graphs from studies on this, and the benefit from getting away from the extreme high and low ends of the state of charge is not a straight line linear effect.

In other words, what's the difference in using 90% instead of 100%? Very significant--big bang for your buck there. What about 80% instead of 90%? It's also a 10% difference, but you've already gotten away from the most harsh part, so it's a bit less benefit. And 70% instead of 80%, still less, etc.

So this is always down to just finding a balance you like of being away from the top end some, but not so low that you have insufficient range and are frequently annoyed with trying to use the car.
Thx. Makes sense