Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting to have FWD always open at x% at specific location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there's a way to always fully open the FWDs at a specific location, but is there a way to always x% open the FWDs at a specific location (i.e., open FWDs to ideal height and click "always open to this height at this location"?

I ask because my garage ceiling isn't tall enough for the FWDs to fully open, but they can open 90% of the way. So currently I have to open my FWDs at 50%, get out and hold the button until 90% every time I need to get my kid in/out of the car. Am I doing something wrong?

There isn’t a way to set % by location. However, you are doing something wrong. Just set your garage location to always fully open (might have to park the car outside first). The sensors still work but I believe only the top sensor is ignored. Obviously be prepared to stop the door if needed when you try it inside the garage.

There's no way to set a specific %. You could try to set it to open fully and let the sensors stop it. I've verified that the sensors do stop the door from opening all the way if it detects something, IF it was a normal open and you didn't override to say open fully. I believe if you override it and tell it to open fully, it will touch it before it backs off.

I'm not sure what to do in your situation, as I haven't had to test much with it. you could try to push and hold the button on the MCU to open it slowly and stop about when it's going to come into contact. If the MCU gives you a choice to always open "fully" at this location, you could hit the button and it'll open as much as it can. That being said, the sensors are fairly conservative, so it won't always open as high as you want to either.

In fact, that is the case in my garage. The FWD can open fully all the time, but it always stops at about 90%, or sometimes 80%. If I need the extra space, I just manually override it in the back seat.

Good luck, I'm sure you can find something that works for you!