Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting up a Second Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I want to add my wife as a driver of the M3. I’ve read a few different ways but was wondering which is best please.

Can she download the Tesla App and create her own account?

Is it easier to put the Tesla App on her phone but with my login details?

Once one of the above is done, do I just add a new profile for my wife via the cars screen?

thanks
Jules

Hi All,

I want to add my wife as a driver of the M3. I’ve read a few different ways but was wondering which is best please.

Once one of the above is done, do I just add a new profile for my wife via the cars screen?

thanks
Jules
I just added the app to my wife's phone and used my password. but I appreciate that on the web page for my car there is an option to add upto 5 additional drivers so that is probably the way I should have done it. Didn't even see that option until recently tbh.
Whichever way you use makes no difference once you are in the car. You just create a new profile and link it to her phone.
The only thing I will say is that the app will occasionally log me out (android) and I have to re-enter my PW to re-activate it. until you do this it will not let you into the car so the owner of the phone needs to know the relevant PW or they could be stuck. whichever you do she should also carry a key card at all times as should you just in case.

I added my wife separately, set her up her own Tesla account and added her details in to my account, before you had to contact Tesla to link the account, but it does seem like you can now just do it from the new add drivers option.
As Jason71 said it does mean another login to forget the details for.....

Reactions: Cyclone1
Hi All,

thanks
Jules

That depends on how independent both of you are.

1) If you enjoy joint accounts in the past (banks, credit cards...) then you might as well just use one e-mail and one password as a joint account.

That means both of you can log in from multiple devices with the same account to control and monitor all your Tesla cars at the same time.

2) If you are used to being independent then the primary account can assign each car to as many as 5 different e-mail addresses.

If you are the primary owner with your own email and your own password, you don't have to give that info to your wife.

You can go to your Account Page and click on which Tesla car you want to grant her access and place her e-mail there.

She then can create her own Tesla account with her e-mail and her own password and access the car that you granted her access.

That way, you don't need to know her password and she doesn't need to know your password.

Reactions: Cyclone1
I just added the app to my wife's phone and used my password. but I appreciate that on the web page for my car there is an option to add upto 5 additional drivers so that is probably the way I should have done it. Didn't even see that option until recently tbh.

Its only appeared in the last month or so.

When we picked up, Tesla recommended us use the same account which is what we have done without issue except being called by my wife's name at service appointments. But I see why some may like to keep things separate.

You need to email the below email address to request another user account. When we picked up the car we were told it was fine for us to use the same login details. Following the issue with the frunk opening randomly while parked, tesla service suggested this could be the reason and the we shouldn't use the same login details. So I emailed the below with some details including the new email address and they emailed back about 4/5 days later with a link to setup the new accounts password. Pain free.

[email protected]

• Disagree
Reactions: CMc1 and Cyclone1
Just be aware that using the 5 additional drivers option means they couldn't 'accidentally' order upgrades like FSD whereas using your own login/password gives full access to everything.

(...I gave wifette full access & she bought me the acceleration boost as a surprise birthday present. Glad I shared! :p)

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Cyclone1
You need to email the below email address to request another user account. When we picked up the car we were told it was fine for us to use the same login details. Following the issue with the frunk opening randomly while parked, tesla service suggested this could be the reason and the we shouldn't use the same login details. So I emailed the below with some details including the new email address and they emailed back about 4/5 days later with a link to setup the new accounts password. Pain free.

[email protected]
This is the old method and they’ll now direct you to the “your account” section of Tesla.com (after waiting several days for a reply).

As mentioned earlier by other, using the account section you’ll have new details within 10 minutes for 2,3,4 or 5 driver.

Please don’t email them for things that can already be done online (unless you’re having tech issue with it) as they are already massively under-staffed and it prevents users with actual problems getting resolved quickly.

In advance of enabling 2FA, I decided to add me as an additional driver - I already had an unused account associated with the email so it just used that. Previously we shared the single account with no issues. Just thinking that 2FA will work better with separate accounts for each driver and this now seems to be the new way of dealing with multiple drivers so best to fall in line.

A couple of queries on its behaviours if people can answer them. Its not a financed car so until now, all drivers had exclusive access of the car/primary driver account.

1. As an added driver, I have my own loot box and payment details.
  • How are supercharger miles taken and/or charged? To the car account or the driver accounts payment method?
  • Will free miles still be used from car account?
  • If I give someone my referral code as additional driver, do they get added to the cars loot box, or do I get them, with no benefit and losing them after 6 months?
2. Tesla app needs me to setup my phone as a key card
  • Can I swap app between additional and primary driver accounts without having to associate the phone key to the car again? Not sure yet why I may want to do this, but may want to see loot box miles remaining etc
3. I have access to Service appointment
  • Is this service appointment shared at car/primary driver level?
  • Whose payment method will be associated with the service request.
4. 3rd party apps such as TeslaFi
  • Which account is best used or doesn't it matter once the authentication token is up and running as account credentials only used for first login.
I'm sure I will have a few more questions once account is used in anger

2. Tesla app needs me to setup my phone as a key card
  • Can I swap app between additional and primary driver accounts without having to associate the phone key to the car again? Not sure yet why I may want to do this, but may want to see loot box miles remaining etc

It doesn't look promising as the car did not acknowledge my phone as key card when logged in as new driver. I deleted my old phone then added it back again from the app with new credentials. I was hoping that the association was with the phone, rather than phone and user ID.

So if you go through the add new driver process, make sure you have a valid key card handy.