Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting up cruise control at current speed

Are you sure you don't work for tesla?;) Whatever the history, reasons, explanations, etc, it's still a poorly implemented "feature" that could easily be fixed by having the default setting be that the TACC sets it's speed to the speed you are going, whether above or BELOW the posted speed limit (without having to preset some kind of offset). You know, like basically every other car out there. Then, make all the speed assist bells and whistles available in an optional setting that you can enable if you want.

Reactions: totteraptor
You actually got them to reply? Which email / who did you communicate with. I’d be happy to take up where you left off. All they have to do is to implement a choice for the users - should not be too hard a decision if they acknowledge the need.
I would also not characterize it as a bug - more like a sub-optimal design for certain situations. But something that has a simple solution.
Back around a year ago, if you used the Ask A Question form in your account page on the tesla site (it may have been called something else, can't remember) and clicked the "escalate" button, you would get a fairly quick response, often within a day or 3, and if you replied to your reply you could go back and forth with them. As the number of model 3 owners blew up, I think they fairly quickly got swamped with questions, and now you maybe get a reply in 2-3 weeks if at all.

Back around a year ago, if you used the Ask A Question form in your account page on the tesla site (it may have been called something else, can't remember) and clicked the "escalate" button, you would get a fairly quick response, often within a day or 3, and if you replied to your reply you could go back and forth with them. As the number of model 3 owners blew up, I think they fairly quickly got swamped with questions, and now you maybe get a reply in 2-3 weeks if at all.
Got it - thanks

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Are you sure you don't work for tesla?;)

Pretty sure. Since I actually answer questions competently, accurately, and in a timely fashion. ;)

Whatever the history, reasons, explanations, etc, it's still a poorly implemented "feature" that could easily be fixed by having the default setting be that the TACC sets it's speed to the speed you are going

It absolutely could be changed to work like that. I wouldn't have the slightest objection to it working like that.

But the point is it works the way it does now intentionally, not due to some bug in the code. Someone decided to make it work that way on purpose. And it's clearly documented as working that way on purpose.

So they don't think it's something in need of "fixing" as it's working the way they wanted it to work.

I've no idea WHY they made that decision, but they obviously, intentionally, made it- and have continued to believe it's the correct implementation over 2 years into vehicle production, going so far as to update the manual to make the fact it works this way even more clear to owners than they originally did in the earlier manual posted.

Pretty sure. Since I actually answer questions competently, accurately, and in a timely fashion. ;)

It absolutely could be changed to work like that. I wouldn't have the slightest objection to it working like that.

But the point is it works the way it does now intentionally, not due to some bug in the code. Someone decided to make it work that way on purpose. And it's clearly documented as working that way on purpose.

So they don't think it's something in need of "fixing" as it's working the way they wanted it to work.

I've no idea WHY they made that decision, but they obviously, intentionally, made it- and have continued to believe it's the correct implementation over 2 years into vehicle production, going so far as to update the manual to make the fact it works this way even more clear to owners than they originally did in the earlier manual posted.

As a person with a software career, this tells me some things...
  • Enough people said "WTF?" to the behaviour that they needed to make it "even more clear" how it behaves
  • Due to the above, the behaviour is not intuitive or behaves in a way people do not want it to.
The above two points signal that the feature should be changed. Documentation is not intention. One of my previous products has a "note: does not work with common security transports" (phrased more like "only works with <insecure transport>"). That wasn't the intent, but we sure as heck needed to document that since many people rightly wanted the secure transport in the year 2018.

I hope they do change it soon. It's obvious that having up-to-date accurate maps is a very difficult problem and reading signs needs to be the way it works. However, it doesn't seem to read signs for determining the speed limit right now. Therefore, the better match is to let the driver select the max speed instead of relying upon likely poor information.

Reactions: totteraptor
The frustrating thing is that occasionally when I engage cruise control I get the current speed, but usually I get the calculated max speed, which for me is 10 mph over the current speed limit.

I wish I could figure out how to consistently get the current speed when I need it.

Most of the time the computed maximum is best, but I'd like to have a way to set to the current speed.

Are you sure you don't work for tesla?;) Whatever the history, reasons, explanations, etc, it's still a poorly implemented "feature" that could easily be fixed by having the default setting be that the TACC sets it's speed to the speed you are going, whether above or BELOW the posted speed limit (without having to preset some kind of offset). You know, like basically every other car out there. Then, make all the speed assist bells and whistles available in an optional setting that you can enable if you want.
Completely agree - plain and simple.
Make More custumers happy - no downside in having the option.

I have the same problem as @ibbd above so one time it is correct and my wife doesn't hear the over speed "boing" and the other gets the "boing" frequently. Setting the speed offset would probably put me over speed for all my travel, so couldn't use the speed warning which I quite like, cause as we all know, the car will go crazy fast so easily :D:D
Would be really nice if I could just push the "Park" button while at speed and it would set the cruise to that speed. Wouldn't take much programming IMHO.

cant. park controlls the emergeny brake already.

I too would like an option to set to current speed. And while they're at it, add a resume function like all other cars.

Also, it would be nice if we had the option to reverse the thumb wheel functions, i.e. put volume on the right wheel and speed on the left, like many other cars. I also drive a BMW SUV, and I often find myself reducing the Tesla's volume when I mean to reduce speed.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Reference please. I did a search of the manual and never found the "Park" button referred to as being used for "Emergency Braking", just puts the car in "Park". So, please, try it at 30 MPH and let us know.

Page 52 of owners manual.

Guess you missed it.

Page 52 said:
Caution: In emergency situations, if the brakes are not functioning properly, press and hold the Park button on the gear selector to bring the vehicle to a stop. Do not use this method to stop the vehicle unless absolutely necessary.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Not in the 2019.16.1.1 manual, but thanks for the reference. I guess the "HOLD" is the key, so if it just got a short press without holding, then it still could be used to set the Cruise. I wonder if they removed its use in later releases.

I was quoting from the current North America owners manual at tesla.com, which is 2019.36.1

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Page 52, near the bottom right hand side.

Also- using the same button with different duration to do both "maintain current speed" and "emergency stop" seems...poorly thought out.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Supporting Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC