Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting up phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting my car next week.
I was watching the video on phone key Meet Your Model 3 . It mentioned that setting up phone key requires user to log into app and then tap the key card to the door pillar. I know most might not use the keycard so this is probably a very rare situation, but if a rogue individual was within Bluetooth range, could they copy the key to their phone if they had the mobile app set up when a driver unlocked car with card?

Getting my car next week.
I was watching the video on phone key Meet Your Model 3 . It mentioned that setting up phone key requires user to log into app and then tap the key card to the door pillar. I know most might not use the keycard so this is probably a very rare situation, but if a rogue individual was within Bluetooth range, could they copy the key to their phone if they had the mobile app set up when a driver unlocked car with card?

The key does not use standard Bluetooth, it uses a short range version. I'm sure others will weigh in with all the technicalities, but the rogue individual would have to be standing next to you to pull it off.

Tim

Reactions: haroldo
If they were within a few feet of you while you did it they might be able to. It uses bluetooth LE (bluetooth low energy) and you have to be pretty much next to the car. In fact, if I have my phone in my back pocket (which is where it normally is), I need to turn sideways when I get to the car because it will not unlock even if I am standing right next to the car, if the signal has to pass through my body (butt).

In order to sync a phone with the car as a key, it requires the keycard as an authentication to do so. Its a one time thing, so once you authenticate once the phone can be used as a key.

You will (or should, anyway) always carry the keycard with you as a backup, in your wallet, so you should have it with you.

Reactions: haroldo
Bluetooth LE has a range of <100m per specification. Indeed, I have several RuuviTags at home to measure various things about the atmosphere both inside and outside, and my Raspberry Pi reads those tags easily through multiple walls and several meters away. But Bluetooth LE also has a PXP profile for proximity sensing and I believe Tesla uses that to determine which mobile to pair with.

Also, probably needless to say, but the keycard uses NFC rather than Bluetooth.