Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting up two connections ... but two different kinds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
Here's an interesting question: I have a Y and have the Tesla HPWC installed through a 30A breaker on a sub panel. I chose 30A after doing a load calculation and downrated the connector to match. TBH I think it's all you need really

I got the wife looking at a Hyundai Ionic5 (very nice vehicle and I'm tempted to make the switch myself, but that's a different story) and if that happens, then I'll need a second charging capability. The Ionic5 has a J1772 mobile connector, so I'm assuming it uses CCS1 (couldn't open the charge point door to verify)

So the question is - given the limitation in the subpanel, how can I set up charging for the Ionic5 so that I don't overload everything?

One possible solution is to install a second Tesla HPWC with a J1772 adapter and have the two units talk to each other so they can avoid simultaneous charging

Another is to downrate my Tesla HPWC to 20A, (and change the breaker to 20A) and install a second 20A circuit for the Ioniq5 as I think that'll also work with the load calculation

Any other ideas?

I don't know if the Tesla Wall Connectors will allow load sharing when charging a non Tesla vehicle or not. Other options I can think of:
  • Install a manual switch (like a transfer switch) to switch between the two charging circuits. That requires manual intervention so it's not as convenient
  • Install a 30A sub panel with two 30A charging circuits and program the vehicles to charge at different times - this satisfies the NEC requirement of having separate branch circuits for each EV charging circuit but you run the risk of overloading the circuit if they both attempt to charge at the same time.
  • manually reduce the charging rate when you want to charge both cars at the same time.