TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Setting Up Your Garage

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ToddRLockwood, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

#1 ToddRLockwood, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    My Model S is arriving in about a month, and I'm getting my garage ready. I've ordered a few functional goodies that I thought other owners might want to consider, as well. I'm ordering my car with 21" and 19" wheels with the intention of making the spring/fall switchover myself. I already own a 2-ton floor jack and a modest air compressor. When the Tesla TPMS reset tool becomes available, I'll probably pick up one of those too, as the nearest Tesla Service Center is several hours away. Most of this gear relates to tire pressure maintenance and seasonal wheel changing. Doing this work in my own garage will remove the risk of having unfamiliar local mechanics lifting and working on the car.

These items are from Griot's Garage, a good source if you want to buy quality that will last...

1. A wall mounted tire rack to keep the second set of wheels out of the way:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/heavy-duty+wall+mounted+tire+storage+rack.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=3

NOTE: See the cautionary note about using this type of rack further down this thread.

2. An auto retracting air hose, a very nice convenience that will encourage regular tire pressure checks:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/auto+retracting+air+hose+reel.do?sortby=ourPicks

3. A digital tire inflating gun for checking/adding/removing air from your tires. Has a clip that keeps the gun attached to the tire valve. One-hand operation. Best $50 I ever spent:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/digital+tire+inflating+gun.do?sortby=ourPicks

4. A garage vacuum with a long hose and high-capacity motor. This one is also very easy to empty:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/garage+utility+vacuum.do?sortby=ourPicks

5. A 1/2-inch-drive torque wrench for getting those lug nuts tightened correctly. (Be sure to order the 1/2" version.) I do not intend to use an air wrench. Check with Tesla Service for the correct torque value. UPDATE 5/2/2013: Tesla Service says the correct torque spec is 175N.m. (The previous setting was 140N.m. - used until March 2013)

Proxxon 23353 Torque Wrench Micro Click 200 S, 1/2-Inch - Amazon.com

NOTE: A 'breaker bar' that accepts 1/2" sockets is a good tool for loosening lug nuts - available at any auto parts store. Use both this tool and the torque wrench with a 6" socket extension, to keep them from touching the wheels.

6. A set of 1/2" protective lug nut sockets. Unlike ordinary sockets, these will protect the finish on your wheels. Griot's used to sell these, but I found an alternative at Sears:

NEIKO Neiko 1/2 Dr. Thin Wall Torque Socket Set with Magnetic and Protective Sleeves - Metric - Tools - Ratchets & Sockets - Sockets & Socket Sets

7. A nice hook for the Tesla charging cable. I've seen this one in several garage photos on TMC. Available at Home Depot or online here:

Racor - Large J-Hook - Tornado Hooks - 00520

I'm sure I'll think of a few more things after the car arrives.

2. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I just installed this garage vacuum system, which was quick and easy. The hose extends to 40' but shrinks down to 8' for storage around the canister which is fairly compact.

Garage vacuum...

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The four 21" wheels do fit in the back with the rear seats folded down. I sold the 21" rims and tires from my parent's Model S so I know they fit. Nice list. Thanks.

4. ToddRLockwood

Thanks for the heads-up on that. I was curious.

5. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Great find. I just ordered a black one off Amazon (free 2 day shipping if you're a Prime member). I really like the expanding hose idea and the fact that the accessories store right on top.

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Great list - and timely. My garage is undergoing renovation in about a month - will def consider some of these items.

7. Brian H

Brian H Banned

Love the Vac! How hard does the hose 'pull' when stretched all the way out?

8. Brian H

Brian H Banned

9. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

This is the vac I just installed, it gets great reviews on Amazon, but was cheaper to buy direct from the manufacturer. I bought the red one.

10. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Geeze. I was just gonna sweep out the garage the night before delivery!

11. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Slacker :) Before and after (though I'm still tweaking):

Before and after.jpg

12. DocDog

DocDog Member

13. kinddog

kinddog Banned

WOW.

:scared:

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It's better for the tires to store them on their sides rather than on their treads the way that rack does. Put a piece of plywood over it and you should be able to store them flat Be sure the tires don't extend over the plywood so that the entire sidewall is supported. Also lower the pressure to 8 to 10 psi when they are not on the car.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be concerned about the accuracy of that one (digital doesn't mean accurate). Typically a digital gauge costs 2X to 3X for the same accuracy. This is the one I use.

15. spatterso911

Jerry33, I'm looking at getting the liquid filled Longacre. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger??

16. ToddRLockwood

Thanks for the warning on the tire rack. Given that, it's curious that Tire Rack sells these as well.

The tire inflating gun was recommended by a mechanic who works on my S6. He uses the same one, though his is branded differently. He said the accuracy is quite good - within 0.5psi. I have a couple of traditional dial gauges, and I'm often wondering about their accuracy when it's below freezing.

17. spatterso911

Jerry33...

nevermind.

I found your response to same question in another post. Thanks for the tip!

For any others who are curious to the answer...
    Answer: No difference, only better for dampening the vibration...

18. bonnie

I've bookmarked this thread - as I renovate my garage, all this info is immensely helpful. Thanks all!

19. ToddRLockwood

Fantastic! Love the landing pad. I can see that a Tesla garage competition is in the offing!

20. bonnie

I'm in.