Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting Up Your Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S is arriving in about a month, and I'm getting my garage ready. I've ordered a few functional goodies that I thought other owners might want to consider, as well. I'm ordering my car with 21" and 19" wheels with the intention of making the spring/fall switchover myself. I already own a 2-ton floor jack and a modest air compressor. When the Tesla TPMS reset tool becomes available, I'll probably pick up one of those too, as the nearest Tesla Service Center is several hours away. Most of this gear relates to tire pressure maintenance and seasonal wheel changing. Doing this work in my own garage will remove the risk of having unfamiliar local mechanics lifting and working on the car. I'm not even sure that the four 21" wheels/tires will fit in the back of the Model S. This approach will eliminate the need to transport the wheels.

These items are from Griot's Garage, a good source if you want to buy quality that will last...

1. A wall mounted tire rack to keep the second set of wheels out of the way:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product...d+tire+storage+rack.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=3

NOTE: See the cautionary note about using this type of rack further down this thread.

2. An auto retracting air hose, a very nice convenience that will encourage regular tire pressure checks:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/auto+retracting+air+hose+reel.do?sortby=ourPicks

3. A digital tire inflating gun with a clip that keeps it attached to the tire valve. One-hand operation with this gun is very cool:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/digital+tire+inflating+gun.do?sortby=ourPicks

4. A garage vacuum with a long hose and high-capacity motor. This one is also very easy to empty:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/garage+utility+vacuum.do?sortby=ourPicks

5. A 1/2-inch-drive torque wrench for getting those lug nuts tightened correctly. (Be sure to order the 1/2" version.) I do not intend to use an air wrench. Check with Tesla Service for the correct torque value:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product...al+flex+neck+torque+wrench.do?sortby=ourPicks

NOTE: A 'breaker bar' that accepts 1/2" sockets is a good tool for loosening lug nuts - available at any auto parts store. Use both this tool and the torque wrench with a 6" socket extension, to keep them from touching the wheels.

6. A set of 1/2" protective lug nut sockets. Unlike ordinary sockets, these will protect the finish on your wheels. Griot's used to sell these, but I found an alternative at Sears:

NEIKO Neiko 1/2 Dr. Thin Wall Torque Socket Set with Magnetic and Protective Sleeves - SAE - Tools - Ratchets & Sockets - Sockets & Socket Sets

I'm sure I'll think of a few more things after the car arrives.

I got a Nema 14-50 outlet installed.

Now my wife refuses to switch bays with me...

You're not the first to ask! It takes quite a bit of time, so would be $200-300 all-in I guess. Parts are less than $100, the rest is my time, and my wife's patience and using spray-paints in her garage (obviously I'm not going to use them in my nice shiny garage!).

How about just a list of parts you used with quick step by step guide (not too detailed would be fine).

I'd like to set the transmitter and photo eye of my automatic garage door exactly at the right height so that the garage door would not close if any part of the rear bumper is still sticking out.

Has anyone measured how far from the ground the bumper is at the last point as it crosses the safety beam?

Right now it's only a couple of inches from the ground so as soon as the rear tires cross it thinks it's safe to lower the garage door.

Last edited:
garage is ready with the 14-50, just need the car! Updated ETA is Monday....

Attachments

• Photo 2013-01-18 06.33.58 PM.jpg
    Photo 2013-01-18 06.33.58 PM.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 774
thanks, the physical garage is actually a mess, couple pics, I have since sold the 2012 blue GT-R for a 2013 Red GT-R... The Ford GT puts down 652 HP to the wheels and the Gallardo puts down 1200+ whp... pretty excited to get the Model S, hope it's all it's supposed to be!

Gallardo-GT-GTR-015.JPG

Attachments

• Gallardo-GT-GTR-017.JPG
    Gallardo-GT-GTR-017.JPG
    509.3 KB · Views: 554
thanks, the physical garage is actually a mess, couple pics, I have since sold the 2012 blue GT-R for a 2013 Red GT-R... The Ford GT puts down 652 HP to the wheels and the Gallardo puts down 1200+ whp... pretty excited to get the Model S, hope it's all it's supposed to be!

Beautiful collection of some of the finest sports cars made. Really, great taste in cars. How fortunate to have an opportunity to drive all of those!

(you might want to recheck some of those horsepower numbers though...)

---- edit ----

Woah, never mind. Just read about the Heffner twin turbo kits for these cars. Holy smokes. Jaw = dropped. :eek:

Last edited:
thanks, they are all really great in their own way.... GT-R is a tech marvel performance wise, goes 0-60 MPH in 2.7 seconds, Ford GT is a true American made exotic, and the Gallardo is just excessive.. it's making the power.. short clip done on the car...

Beautiful collection of some of the finest sports cars made. Really, great taste in cars. How fortunate to have an opportunity to drive all of those!

(you might want to recheck some of those horsepower numbers though...)

---- edit ----

Woah, never mind. Just read about the Heffner twin turbo kits for these cars. Holy smokes. Jaw = dropped. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: