Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Settings to leave car on Alignment Rack ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get alignments a lot lately, working through suspension issues, and I’ve had two service centers and one local alignment shop perform a total of five alignments. They all have different racks and different methods. And I always have different results.
I’ve seen the door latch locked shut from drivers seat while in neutral as a way for the car to think someone is in it and keep it on. This seems to be the ideal method, but is rack dependent?
I’ve seen the same thing in Neutral but with parking brake on (Tesla). I didn’t see this, but I asked how they leave it on the rack. They control with toolbox, though, so does that count? Do they occasionally release parking brake?
There’s a popular online auto reference that seems legit, but it says to properly align, you must put the vehicle in the High air suspension setting before bringing onto the rack. It doesn’t say to lower ride height back to standard. How could you get a solid alignment using this method?? Then again, I measured all four corners before an alignment, and wrote them down. I then raised the car to high and lowered it back. Rolling a little. I measured all four corners again and the car had raised 1/8-3/8”. Going into standard from high on the alignment rack wouldn’t be the accurate standard height.

I’ve searched the alignment and air suspension sections of the Tesla service manual. Didn’t find anything to note. I’d love to see a discussion on this, or a quick definitive answer. It seems simple, but I just want to be sure.

This place seems to have a detailed discussion for the air suspension. "For alignment, the suspension needs to be set to the high position. After the suspension has been put in the high position, put the suspension in the jack or service mode using the touch screen before measuring the ride height." Alignment Specs Tesla Model S
That’s the legit site I alluded to, where putting the car in High and then jack mode before aligning is directed. Obviously an error. However, it says to do this before measuring ride height in the paragraph. It’s possibly a copy/paste error, lol. Aligning your model s in High is NOT how to align it, unless you never exceed 50km/h.
I left a comment on that article so perhaps we will have a response and edit.

Reactions: DerbyDave
since you're in So-Cal i suggest you go to 714 tires in Westminster they know how to do teslas and I've never heard anyone say they did a less than stellar job. I've taken my S there both times for its alignment and they did a amazing job and it was only like $120 each time.

If you have all factory parts on there then there isn't much they can do for alignment because the factory *sugar* only has eccentric bolts and nothing for the rear camber.
I have the @N2itive rear parts on mine and after i installed them is when i went to 714 tires for the first alignment. after they did it the front right eccentric bolt for the camber was maxed out because i also lowered it with the N2itive links which is when i bought the hardrace front UCA and then they did another alignment and everything is bang on perfect. When you go there they give you a slip of paper and you tell them what you want the alignment specs to be. I take the specs off the N2itive site.

front camber -0.8
front caster +4.0
front toe -0.07
rear camber -0.80
rear toe +0.12

since you're in So-Cal i suggest you go to 714 tires in Westminster they know how to do teslas and I've never heard anyone say they did a less than stellar job. I've taken my S there both times for its alignment and they did a amazing job and it was only like $120 each time.

If you have all factory parts on there then there isn't much they can do for alignment because the factory *sugar* only has eccentric bolts and nothing for the rear camber.
I have the @N2itive rear parts on mine and after i installed them is when i went to 714 tires for the first alignment. after they did it the front right eccentric bolt for the camber was maxed out because i also lowered it with the N2itive links which is when i bought the hardrace front UCA and then they did another alignment and everything is bang on perfect. When you go there they give you a slip of paper and you tell them what you want the alignment specs to be. I take the specs off the N2itive site.

front camber -0.8
front caster +4.0
front toe -0.07
rear camber -0.80
rear toe +0.12
You might wanna scroll back to my post about 714 tires. I drove home and scheduled a real alignment elsewhere. They got my rear camber dialed but the rest was garbage, in the green but not my requested specs. On the rack at the next place I was mostly in the red. The rear camber arms from n2itive are the worst when it comes to finding a shop to touch rear camber arms. The fact that 714 does it is great. When they pulled my car off the rack it raised in the front about 1/4”. I was like ummmm, that’s not good. It was just aligned at a lower height up front. The guy just said “I don’t know, man”.
There’s also a white supreme it’s motorcycle store next door where all the proud boys met up before they had their little rally several months back. Maybe it’s just not the spot for me. Dan talks it up bc otherwise where will locals get their new camber arms installed and aligned? Really: where?