Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Settings when car is idled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC,

What do you guys do when just idling in a parking lot? I drop my wife off to a grocery store while waiting for her in a parking spot with our young baby. Inside the car we will listen to music and stuff, and will have AC/heat on as needed.. but things like headlights don't turn off by itself unless I manually turn it off.

Is there a mode that I can use for such situations where I am just sitting in the car waiting?
Thanks

Dog Mode. On hot days, it keeps the car cool. On the cold winter days, the car stays warm. Love Dog Mode.
I will turn it on regardless of whether I am staying in the car or going into the store. Plus you don't even need to have a dog with you! :)
However, getting into the habit helps for those times when you do bring the pooch.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0
The user manual is your friend

Headlights After Exit​

When Headlights after Exit is on, the exterior headlights remain on when you stop driving and park Model 3 in low lighting conditions. They automatically turn off after one minute or when Model 3 locks. When off, headlights turn off when you engage Park and open a door.
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Lights > Headlights after Exit.

Reactions: Ther0ck
Upvote 0
things like headlights don't turn off by itself unless I manually turn it off
The amount of power the LED headlights use is tiny. I would not worry about it. While you are sitting in the drivers seat the climate control will stay on. You could sit in the car for days and unless the outside temperature is very cold the car will use very little power.

Upvote 0
Dog Mode. On hot days, it keeps the car cool. On the cold winter days, the car stays warm. Love Dog Mode.
I will turn it on regardless of whether I am staying in the car or going into the store. Plus you don't even need to have a dog with you! :)
However, getting into the habit helps for those times when you do bring the pooch.

Can you set the temperature in Dog Mode? I think Camp Mode is also a good choice and you can set the temp.

Upvote 0
Yeah but then as oposed to having the headlight turn off you leave the climate
control on . What if I want to stop sit in the car and just listen to the stereo with
the climate control and the lights off. Or have some other task the doesn't need
either of those two things drawing power.

Upvote 0