Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setup a $1000 Referral Discount Code Website....usefull?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
right, but sit there for 40 minutes entering 20 codes.....not good/easy

Fortunately that is not the case as @bonnie confirmed that the codes do not expire. I occasionally try the referral links on the randomizer and haven't come across one that does not work.

Gottya.
Yes all that is possible, but sadly, and importantly, the KMTG (whatever that stands for) is not ranking on Google, so I did not see or find it, this is what needs fixing. Plus, it would be good for the newbies to see that their codes will also be promoted in a central group, a larger collective, for everybody.

You are welcome to assist, I had a few forum members (@McHoffa & @HankLloydRight and others) assist me and provide pointers when I created Tesla Referral Links

In addition, my data base of referral links is used by other sites such as ev-cpo and another uk site. I merely provided them with the randomizer script that access the data base on my domain.

However, if you choose to create your own version, you can pursue it by all means and I can link it on my site!!

@JohnSimcox would it be possible to create script that checks the validity of referral links (as this is your primary concern). Instead of user based votes? Don't you agree that user base votes will result in biases by some individuals to down-vote other valid referral links to merely bring their own to the top? And up vote their own instead?

@JohnSimcox would it be possible to create script that checks the validity of referral links (as this is your primary concern). Instead of user based votes? Don't you agree that user base votes will result in biases by some individuals to down-vote other valid referral links to merely bring their own to the top? And up vote their own instead?
No....I meant, once it was used by a buyer, it automatically gets a vote as valid/active, no personal input to sway it either wya, it would be responsive purely based on activity, no other input

Fortunately that is not the case as @bonnie confirmed that the codes do not expire. I occasionally try the referral links on the randomizer and haven't come across one that does not work.

You are welcome to assist, I had a few forum members (@McHoffa & @HankLloydRight and others) assist me and provide pointers when I created Tesla Referral Links

In addition, my data base of referral links is used by other sites such as ev-cpo and another uk site. I merely provided them with the randomizer script that access the data base on my domain.

However, if you choose to create your own version, you can pursue it by all means and I can link it on my site!!

Are we confusing 'links' with 'codes' here? The links will always work, but when you are with a Tesla rep ordering, most of the codes have already become deceased.

Two different things here......the links will not expire, I get that, but if the code in the link is dead, it is feeding bad data to new buyers.

What I am saying is to not use a randomizer, but to put actual codes there that DO work when a new buyer adds it into their billing contract, and based on the success of the code they used, simply state 'yes' or 'no' whether it worked or not. Then use this data to populate the list of codes that DO work when ordering.

Like I said I had to search google for lots of them before I actually got one to register at the time of my order, the others were dead/expired/impossible to use.

A central place to capture accurate working codes that ranks them based on user input and success is a far better place to pull codes from I think, and with all of them being successful (therefore dropping off faster when used/maxed out) the 100% guarantee of getting your $1000 off 'first time searching' will pull more users and buyers to the site, adding more and more accurate data and potential input.

I am just talking about all this because, when I did not yet order my Tesla, I indeed would have liked to find a discount code....yet most buyers don't know about this site, so they will just google 'tesla discount' and this site doesnt appear, neither does kmtg, all you get is a ton of other paid/unpaid links to the /anybody1234 promo page, and there is no way of knowing if these codes are current or work, unless you try entering them one at a time in front of the sales rep....which, for $1000 off of a $170,000 car, seemed pretty miserable.

I am all for making it easier and better, the way I found a code was from google, but took quite a while....which is why I was thinking a central place for this, a dedicated space, would have been easier to locate and use without fail/error.

Are we confusing 'links' with 'codes' here? The links will always work, but when you are with a Tesla rep ordering, most of the codes have already become deceased.

Two different things here......the links will not expire, I get that, but if the code in the link is dead, it is feeding bad data to new buyers.

What I am saying is to not use a randomizer, but to put actual codes there that DO work when a new buyer adds it into their billing contract, and based on the success of the code they used, simply state 'yes' or 'no' whether it worked or not. Then use this data to populate the list of codes that DO work when ordering.

Like I said I had to search google for lots of them before I actually got one to register at the time of my order, the others were dead/expired/impossible to use.

A central place to capture accurate working codes that ranks them based on user input and success is a far better place to pull codes from I think, and with all of them being successful (therefore dropping off faster when used/maxed out) the 100% guarantee of getting your $1000 off 'first time searching' will pull more users and buyers to the site, adding more and more accurate data and potential input.

I am just talking about all this because, when I did not yet order my Tesla, I indeed would have liked to find a discount code....yet most buyers don't know about this site, so they will just google 'tesla discount' and this site doesnt appear, neither does kmtg, all you get is a ton of other paid/unpaid links to the /anybody1234 promo page, and there is no way of knowing if these codes are current or work, unless you try entering them one at a time in front of the sales rep....which, for $1000 off of a $170,000 car, seemed pretty miserable.

I am all for making it easier and better, the way I found a code was from google, but took quite a while....which is why I was thinking a central place for this, a dedicated space, would have been easier to locate and use without fail/error.

My code is the link. It has not changed since the first program. You are confused. I'm guessing you had bad codes because if they were advertising like you say, Tesla may have invalidated, since it went against the rules of the program.

This link (or code or whatever you want to call it) has not changed since the first program & I have gotten referrals in almost all programs when it has been used: Referral | Tesla They do not expire.

--------

So again, why not just work with KMTG to promote the current site on google? It has valid codes, mostly codes from owners who are actively promoting Tesla in a variety of ways. He said he'd welcome your help. Why not work with what is already there?

Last edited:

Once you go to a referral link such as mine in the signature, it will tell you that you are using a referral that just saved you $1k. Do you not see that on your end?? The codes and links are both the same and do not expire.

I think we have a miscommunication/confusion.

I do see your point on Google presence, that is something we can improve if you are interested.

I know I said I wouldn't post again, but I'll be nicer this time. ;)

What I also think what's at play here is your Sales Associate also didn't know how the codes work. You didn't need to search and key the codes in one at a time, which sounds like what you were doing (or he was doing).

If you were googling for codes, all it would have taken is to click on each link/code, go to the Design Studio, and in most cases, you'd get a display like this which means the code is valid and works:

upload_2017-2-5_23-8-46.png

The only other message I've seen is "Sorry, John has has no more referrals, please find another referral" or something to that effect, meaning that person's code has maxed out for the quarter.

I've never seen a message that a code has expired. I just tried to load a referral link for a non-existant code, and there was no popup or error message, just the Design Studio and no referral credit. So I guess that could happen, but I think it's very rare.

Maybe there was a transcription problem between you looking for codes, and communicating them to the Sales associate who was keying them in?

I could definitely see how the codes at the top of the google search had maxed out if you were buying at the end of the quarter. But there are so many available, it's hard to believe it took you that long to find a code that wasn't maxed out. There are Tesla discount codes all over Facebook, Ebay, twitter, reddit, etc.

It's hard to re-create the past, and see exactly what was happening and why you had so much trouble finding a working code. I would guess even a worst case scenario, it would have taken no more than 5 minutes to find one that worked.

One final note -- under your proposed scenario, a new buyer would go to your site to find a code, use it, and then at some point after the referral was used, go back and find the same code (which are just first names and some numbers) and then give it a thumbs up/thumbs down rating. I'm not sure many people will care that much to re-visit the site to give the code they used a rating.

Also under your plan, any 'highly ranked" code is likely to be used multiple times until it's maxed out. Which means someone would have to take the code, have it get rejected by the Sales Associate or the Design Studio, and again, revisit your site to give it a thumbs down rating. How are you going to authenticate people as "real buyers" and not people submitting self-rankings to boost their codes to the top?

And if one code gets a single thumbs down because it's maxed out or there was some other problem with it, does one thumbs down mean you'll "expire" the code for the duration of the quarter? What if users go in and thumbs-down everyone else's code so their code floats to the top? Are you going to vet each user to find out if they're a real buyer or perhaps a code owner trying to manipulate the codes? The "ranking" thing just seems wrought with potential problems, abuse, validation, user errors, and relies on the real buyers returning to rank the exact code they used (if they even remember it).

This is why the random referral system works so well, it doesn't depend on any of those things. And if by some chance a code doesn't work, there are hundreds of others just waiting to be used, and the referrals are distributed fairly and randomly, not focused on the "most voted up code" which would basically send all the referrals to one person.

I know I said I wouldn't post again, but I'll be nicer this time. ;)

What I also think what's at play here is your Sales Associate also didn't know how the codes work. You didn't need to search and key the codes in one at a time, which sounds like what you were doing (or he was doing).

If you were googling for codes, all it would have taken is to click on each link/code, go to the Design Studio, and in most cases, you'd get a display like this which means the code is valid and works:

View attachment 213490

The only other message I've seen is "Sorry, John has has no more referrals, please find another referral" or something to that effect, meaning that person's code has maxed out for the quarter.

I've never seen a message that a code has expired. I just tried to load a referral link for a non-existant code, and there was no popup or error message, just the Design Studio and no referral credit. So I guess that could happen, but I think it's very rare.

Maybe there was a transcription problem between you looking for codes, and communicating them to the Sales associate who was keying them in?

I could definitely see how the codes at the top of the google search had maxed out if you were buying at the end of the quarter. But there are so many available, it's hard to believe it took you that long to find a code that wasn't maxed out. There are Tesla discount codes all over Facebook, Ebay, twitter, reddit, etc.

It's hard to re-create the past, and see exactly what was happening and why you had so much trouble finding a working code. I would guess even a worst case scenario, it would have taken no more than 5 minutes to find one that worked.

One final note -- under your proposed scenario, a new buyer would go to your site to find a code, use it, and then at some point after the referral was used, go back and find the same code (which are just first names and some numbers) and then give it a thumbs up/thumbs down rating. I'm not sure many people will care that much to re-visit the site to give the code they used a rating.

Also under your plan, any 'highly ranked" code is likely to be used multiple times until it's maxed out. Which means someone would have to take the code, have it get rejected by the Sales Associate or the Design Studio, and again, revisit your site to give it a thumbs down rating. How are you going to authenticate people as "real buyers" and not people submitting self-rankings to boost their codes to the top?

And if one code gets a single thumbs down because it's maxed out or there was some other problem with it, does one thumbs down mean you'll "expire" the code for the duration of the quarter? What if users go in and thumbs-down everyone else's code so their code floats to the top? Are you going to vet each user to find out if they're a real buyer or perhaps a code owner trying to manipulate the codes? The "ranking" thing just seems wrought with potential problems, abuse, validation, user errors, and relies on the real buyers returning to rank the exact code they used (if they even remember it).

This is why the random referral system works so well, it doesn't depend on any of those things. And if by some chance a code doesn't work, there are hundreds of others just waiting to be used, and the referrals are distributed fairly and randomly, not focused on the "most voted up code" which would basically send all the referrals to one person.

Very well put, thank you.
Maybe it was bad that day, it was Dec 31, last day of free Supercharger........perhaps all codes on top of google were maxed out, I did not know at the time about this site, or others, and the rep at Tesla was very hush hush and said 'if i look on google i may find a discount code' but he was not willing to show me where/how, so we literally punched in at least 12 from google before we found one that didnt get rejected on his order system.
I think the idea was to have the page open in the dealership, it would show a list of codes you could pick from (with suggestions), give it to the rep, and if it worked just say yes or no if it worked and submit, very simple.

Once you go to a referral link such as mine in the signature, it will tell you that you are using a referral that just saved you $1k. Do you not see that on your end?? The codes and links are both the same and do not expire.

I think we have a miscommunication/confusion.

I do see your point on Google presence, that is something we can improve if you are interested.

Think it should and can be hugely improved, lets talk in person perhaps later this week ;) thanks

Reactions: K-MTG and bonnie
, give it to the rep, and if it worked just say yes or no if it worked and submit, very simple.

Ok, that is a more simple approach, I see now.

Does anyone have any stats on how many people place original orders in the store (your scenario) and not online using the referral links and the Design Studio?

I have no data, but I would think that most people would use the Design Studio and get the referral link automatically applied, as opposed to going into a store without doing any of that.

Reactions: JohnSimcox