Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Several questions about Martian Wheels vs Vossen vs Gemini's on MY.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

So I have a few Martian Wheels questions (Also Vossen as an after thought to make things more confusing lol). I thought I had it all figured out and was about to make the switch. But several things have come up so I need to really make sure.

Background:
I'm getting my White LR Model Y w/ 19" Gemini's in about 2 weeks or so. I wanted to switch to the Martians right away. Either the 19x8.5's or the 20x9.5's. I'm someone who prefers function over form, but if I can find a happy medium I'd like form if the function is not too severely affected. Hence range is really imp for me but I don't mind if the range goes down a slight bit if I am getting more comfort and a cooler looking blacked out wheel.

1) I was told that the Martians are phenomenally stronger than the OEM wheels. So that will take care of any risk of wheel damage and longevity issues. Is this true?

2) I was also told that the 19x8.5 and even the 20x9.5 are far lighter than the stock Gemini's. So that will make for a much smoother ride, increased acceleration and similar range since they're lighter wheels. Is this true?

I know the Gemini's with the cover have some amazing range because of the aerodynamic efficiency. But if I took the covers off for an apples to apples comparison, the Martian's would be better than the Gemini's in terms of range right?
And even the 20" Martians would be pretty close to the 19 Gemini's in terms of range etc right?

(I know that range has a lot to do with the tires so please assume that I will be using the same stock Tesla continentals for the 19 or some other efficient tire I did the 20's.)

3) Someone who works in a garage told me that if I get the 8.5's instead of the 9.5's it might mess up the balance, torque etc of the car since the factory sets it up for 9.5 Geminis or even 9.5 inductions. Is that true? Would I have any issues going with a 8.5 instead of the 9.5's? Either in the 19 or 20's? Or is this a non issue?

4) Lastly just to confuse things more lol, any thoughts on the Vossen's (HF-3's) vs the Martians? Are they as strong? As light? And will they give me more or less the same performance as the MW03's?

Thank you so much for your time. I know there are tire threads out there. But I didn't find one that addresses all the questions that I have. So that is why I started this thread. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Regards,

Benjamin.

Tesla Model Y 19

Introducing the Vossen HF-3 Wheel

Last edited:
Hey there! I have the Martians in 19"x8.5" I'm running Vredestein 255/45-19 tires. (Quatrac Pros in the Summer, Wintrac Pros in the Winter.) I had the stock 21s on my performance Y originally. The Martians are light, but about a pound heavier than advertised. Still, very good wheels. They are not aero at all, so I didn't see any range increase coming from the 21s. In fact, I ended up with a tiny range decrease. Not enough to really care about the. On my 10 mile test loop @ 65mph I went from averaging 270 - 275 wh/mi to about 280 wh/mi. The ride is significantly better than the 21s, but truth be told I didn't mind the original ride. Also, the tires help a lot as well I'm sure.

I'm keeping the Martians for my winter wheels, but going to Tsportline TSTs for summer use. They're advertised at just about a pound heavier than what I measured my Martians at. I'm doing this because they should be more range efficient than the Martians. I almost went with the Tsportline TSVs which are a copy of the 21" Uberturbines, but can be had in 19x8.5". This should give you the range of the Geminis with the looks of the Uberturbines. I went with the TSTs because they're five pounds lighter than the TSVs, so should give a better ride. I still don't know if I went the right way...

Anyways, I read an interview with a Tesla engineer who said the wheel the TSTs are based on had over half the benefit of the model 3 aero wheels. So I'm thinking the Martians will give a range of 280, the 19" TSTs a range of 295 and the TSVs a range of 310. The Martians I've measured, pure guesswork on the other two. The Geminis weigh 29 - 30 pounds I think? So do the 19x8.5" TSVs, and the 19x8.5" TSTs weigh 24.5 pounds. My 19x8.5" Martians weigh about 23 pounds.

I called Tsportline and they were rather rude in telling me that 8.5" rims wouldn't work on the Y, but wouldn't say why. They're only listed for the 3, but they show identical specs to the 9.5" version for the Y, including load rating. The 8.5" Martians work just fine on my Y, so I ordered the 19x8.5" TSTs for the 3 online. Lot's of people on here report using 8.5" rims on their Ys, and I have seen no complaints or issues mentioned.

Edited to add: I couldn't find the load rating on those wheels you linked too. Don't forget the Y needs stronger wheels than most. I think you want a minimum of 900 kg load rating? Also, while the Martian wheels are great, their customer service is not. It can be hard getting hold of them if there's a delay in getting your wheels shipped. I was going to get a second set, but after they were two months late I had to stop payment because they would not respond to my calls or emails.

Last edited:
I have the 18x8.5 martians with the quatrac pros on them. They are about 5-10 wh/mi worse than the geminis on my 65 mph test track. The ride is much better and they look cooler but I attribute most of the ride quality to the tires. That reminds me @Nakk , we were supposed to do a range test now that I have them.

Reactions: MumblzA10
Since you like function over form, your best bet is to stick with the Gemini wheels with the covers on. My lifetime average is 243 Wh/mi, and I've haven't heard of issues with wheel strength with these.

If you want more performance, the $2000 boost is amazing, and makes way, way more difference than a slightly lighter wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
I have the 18x8.5 martians with the quatrac pros on them. They are about 5-10 wh/mi worse than the geminis on my 65 mph test track. The ride is much better and they look cooler but I attribute most of the ride quality to the tires. That reminds me @Nakk , we were supposed to do a range test now that I have them.
We were, and now I have the Wintrac pros on, LOL. What wh/mi are you getting at 65? I'm was getting about 280 @ 65 mph before the Wintracs went on.

We were, and now I have the Wintrac pros on, LOL. What wh/mi are you getting at 65? I'm was getting about 280 @ 65 mph before the Wintracs went on.
255 but I think my test track is slightly downhill. I had a 264 wh average with the geminis over 9k miles. Lots of highway driving. About 700 miles into the martians + quatracs and at 280 but its been cold out and lots of those numbers were to Mt hood and back

Interesting. My test track is a loop, so it mostly eliminates variation due to slope and wind. The number I gave is also with HVAC and headlights off to reduce variables. If I recall correctly, you have narrower tires? It sounds like you're doing far better than me for efficiency.

I'd really be curious to see what you get on my test loop. It's on Hwy 14 here in Camas if you ever want to try it. I enter 14 from 192nd going west bound. HVAC and lights off. Accelerate quickly to 65 mph and engage autopilot. Reset your trip odometer at the first sign you pass on the right, it's a sign that shows food and stuff at the next exit. I do this during light traffic, because getting behind another car skews the results. (Drafting and slowing down really increases efficiency.) In about 5 miles I take the Lieser exit, making sure to use regen to come to a stop at the light. Turn left to get back on 14 going East bound. Drive conservatively trying to maximize efficiency. Accelerate back to 65 and check wh/mi as you pass the sign that marked the beginning of the test run. It's important to hit "reset" on your trip odometer precisely at the sign when starting. You're going uphill, so missing that exact spot skews the results. I do this loop three times and then average the results.

Conversely, we could just drive side by side for a mile and compare. I do have the Wintracs on, but they seem only a bit less efficient than the Quatracs...

Interesting. My test track is a loop, so it mostly eliminates variation due to slope and wind. The number I gave is also with HVAC and headlights off to reduce variables. If I recall correctly, you have narrower tires? It sounds like you're doing far better than me for efficiency.

I'd really be curious to see what you get on my test loop. It's on Hwy 14 here in Camas if you ever want to try it. I enter 14 from 192nd going west bound. HVAC and lights off. Accelerate quickly to 65 mph and engage autopilot. Reset your trip odometer at the first sign you pass on the right, it's a sign that shows food and stuff at the next exit. I do this during light traffic, because getting behind another car skews the results. (Drafting and slowing down really increases efficiency.) In about 5 miles I take the Lieser exit, making sure to use regen to come to a stop at the light. Turn left to get back on 14 going East bound. Drive conservatively trying to maximize efficiency. Accelerate back to 65 and check wh/mi as you pass the sign that marked the beginning of the test run. It's important to hit "reset" on your trip odometer precisely at the sign when starting. You're going uphill, so missing that exact spot skews the results. I do this loop three times and then average the results.

Conversely, we could just drive side by side for a mile and compare. I do have the Wintracs on, but they seem only a bit less efficient than the Quatracs...
I do have narrower tires. I also have hvac off and don't count a run if I think I got close enough to anyone to draft. My run is simpler, just straight west on highway 26 towards the coast from highway 217, reset trip meter once I get to 65

Keep in mind when you guys are changing wheels you’re also changing oem tire compound which are highly efficient.

On my model 3 LR 18” aero, I averaged 235 kWh/mi on stock setup w cover (10k mi) vs 252 kWh/mi on Michelin PS4 w/o aero cover (9k mi). I’m going to replace the aero cover and see how that affects efficiency.

Hey there! I have the Martians in 19"x8.5" I'm running Vredestein 255/45-19 tires. (Quatrac Pros in the Summer, Wintrac Pros in the Winter.) I had the stock 21s on my performance Y originally. The Martians are light, but about a pound heavier than advertised. Still, very good wheels. They are not aero at all, so I didn't see any range increase coming from the 21s. In fact, I ended up with a tiny range decrease. Not enough to really care about the. On my 10 mile test loop @ 65mph I went from averaging 270 - 275 wh/mi to about 280 wh/mi. The ride is significantly better than the 21s, but truth be told I didn't mind the original ride. Also, the tires help a lot as well I'm sure.

I'm keeping the Martians for my winter wheels, but going to Tsportline TSTs for summer use. They're advertised at just about a pound heavier than what I measured my Martians at. I'm doing this because they should be more range efficient than the Martians. I almost went with the Tsportline TSVs which are a copy of the 21" Uberturbines, but can be had in 19x8.5". This should give you the range of the Geminis with the looks of the Uberturbines. I went with the TSTs because they're five pounds lighter than the TSVs, so should give a better ride. I still don't know if I went the right way...

Anyways, I read an interview with a Tesla engineer who said the wheel the TSTs are based on had over half the benefit of the model 3 aero wheels. So I'm thinking the Martians will give a range of 280, the 19" TSTs a range of 295 and the TSVs a range of 310. The Martians I've measured, pure guesswork on the other two. The Geminis weigh 29 - 30 pounds I think? So do the 19x8.5" TSVs, and the 19x8.5" TSTs weigh 24.5 pounds. My 19x8.5" Martians weigh about 23 pounds.

I called Tsportline and they were rather rude in telling me that 8.5" rims wouldn't work on the Y, but wouldn't say why. They're only listed for the 3, but they show identical specs to the 9.5" version for the Y, including load rating. The 8.5" Martians work just fine on my Y, so I ordered the 19x8.5" TSTs for the 3 online. Lot's of people on here report using 8.5" rims on their Ys, and I have seen no complaints or issues mentioned.

Edited to add: I couldn't find the load rating on those wheels you linked too. Don't forget the Y needs stronger wheels than most. I think you want a minimum of 900 kg load rating? Also, while the Martian wheels are great, their customer service is not. It can be hard getting hold of them if there's a delay in getting your wheels shipped. I was going to get a second set, but after they were two months late I had to stop payment because they would not respond to my calls or emails.

Nakk thank you so much. You have no idea

First of all thank you Nakk for such an incredibly detailed reply. Sorry for my delay in replying. I'm a medical student studying for boards and life has been really busy on the personal front. Thank you also to everyone else that responded.

Okay now onto the meat and potatoes of this thread. Thank you for your post. You opened my eyes to a totally different way of looking at this. I was only thinking of weight as being the main determinant. But I've been reading more and more about how 21's are as efficient as much lighter aftermarket options in smaller sizes. That says a lot for aerodynamic capabilities. Having said that ride comfort is important too and apparently a lighter wheel will help with that. Seeing what you went with, I'd venture to say that you are certainly going to get the best of both worlds. The comfort and the better range. Yes the TSV's will def give me better range and they look super cool. But the lighter weight of the TST's is certainly attractive, esp since you are saying they have a good amount of aerodynamic efficiency. What you said about the 19 Martians being about the same as the stock 21's shocked me to no end. I really thought the 19 martians would be better than the inductions and maybe a tad bit more than the Gemini's. But wow that was a shocker. I guess that puts me out of Martian territory and into Tsportline territory.

I am wondering though, since the TST's and TSV's are not fully forged, would I be running any risk in terms of potential wheel damage from reduced strength when compared with a fully forged wheel like the Martians? Or do you feel like their longevity is pretty good?

Sorry for the million questions but I actually tried to call Tsportline to ask these questions. Ellio or whatever his name is (the guy from the videos) answered and he was curt and rude. Similar experience to what you had. That says a lot because I am a very veryyyy polite, friendly and courteous guy. I even started out by saying wow I'm speaking the person from the youtube videos etc and was genuinely happy. He acted like I was a noob and an idiot for asking questions about range. Said you must be a new Tesla owner from the stupid stuff you are asking. He also seemed like had to get off the phone and didn't want to answer my questions. At that point I just stopped asking anything and just said thank you for your help. To give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was rushed with other calls. But it was pretty off putting from someone who is about to give you a few thousand dollars in business.

Do you already have your TST's on? If so what are you tracking in terms of kw/h? At the end of the day if I can get at least 295 or so from my LR MY on 20" wheels with some decent ride comfort i'll be a happy camper. I should be able to get that from either the 20" TST's or TSV's right?

Thank you once again to everyone that chipped in with advice, help and tips.

Reactions: MumblzA10
Nakk thank you so much. You have no idea

First of all thank you Nakk for such an incredibly detailed reply. Sorry for my delay in replying. I'm a medical student studying for boards and life has been really busy on the personal front. Thank you also to everyone else that responded.

Okay now onto the meat and potatoes of this thread. Thank you for your post. You opened my eyes to a totally different way of looking at this. I was only thinking of weight as being the main determinant. But I've been reading more and more about how 21's are as efficient as much lighter aftermarket options in smaller sizes. That says a lot for aerodynamic capabilities. Having said that ride comfort is important too and apparently a lighter wheel will help with that. Seeing what you went with, I'd venture to say that you are certainly going to get the best of both worlds. The comfort and the better range. Yes the TSV's will def give me better range and they look super cool. But the lighter weight of the TST's is certainly attractive, esp since you are saying they have a good amount of aerodynamic efficiency. What you said about the 19 Martians being about the same as the stock 21's shocked me to no end. I really thought the 19 martians would be better than the inductions and maybe a tad bit more than the Gemini's. But wow that was a shocker. I guess that puts me out of Martian territory and into Tsportline territory.

I am wondering though, since the TST's and TSV's are not fully forged, would I be running any risk in terms of potential wheel damage from reduced strength when compared with a fully forged wheel like the Martians? Or do you feel like their longevity is pretty good?

Sorry for the million questions but I actually tried to call Tsportline to ask these questions. Ellio or whatever his name is (the guy from the videos) answered and he was curt and rude. Similar experience to what you had. That says a lot because I am a very veryyyy polite, friendly and courteous guy. I even started out by saying wow I'm speaking the person from the youtube videos etc and was genuinely happy. He acted like I was a noob and an idiot for asking questions about range. Said you must be a new Tesla owner from the stupid stuff you are asking. He also seemed like had to get off the phone and didn't want to answer my questions. At that point I just stopped asking anything and just said thank you for your help. To give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was rushed with other calls. But it was pretty off putting from someone who is about to give you a few thousand dollars in business.

Do you already have your TST's on? If so what are you tracking in terms of kw/h? At the end of the day if I can get at least 295 or so from my LR MY on 20" wheels with some decent ride comfort i'll be a happy camper. I should be able to get that from either the 20" TST's or TSV's right?

Thank you once again to everyone that chipped in with advice, help and tips.

No worries! A lot of people have helped me over the years, I like to pay it forward when I can.

Yeah, I've got Tsportlines on our 3 as well, and they were pretty rude when I had a few questions too. Great product, crappy customer service.

We have 18" TSTs on our 3, and the efficiency has been pretty darn good. Close enough to the 3 aero wheels that we really didn't see a difference. We changed tires at the same time, and the Michelin Cross Climates may have had something to do with that as well. They're a great tire and rated highly, including very good rolling resistance. I won't be putting the 19" TSTs on the Y until March when the summer tires go back on, so I won't be able to check efficiency until then. The 19x8.5" TSTs and TSVs are both rated at 900 kg, so they should be fine as far as strength. The Martians are rated at 1000 kg, either way the limit is going to be the car itself. Gross Axle Weight Rating is 1636, so you still have almost a 10% buffer with the wheels.

If range and ride are concerns for you, the 19s are going to be better on both counts than the 20s. As ar as 295 wh/mi, that was my average over a few thousand miles with the 21s, so I would guess both wheels would get that given a good tire. My guess is that the TSV will do better than the TST, but since I haven't tested either yet in 19" that's really just a guess.

Since you like function over form, your best bet is to stick with the Gemini wheels with the covers on. My lifetime average is 243 Wh/mi, and I've haven't heard of issues with wheel strength with these.

If you want more performance, the $2000 boost is amazing, and makes way, way more difference than a slightly lighter wheel.

This is a ridiculously good point I never thought of. Like an overweight cyclist paying thousands to save grams, when he could just lose five pounds off his middle for free.

This is a ridiculously good point I never thought of. Like an overweight cyclist paying thousands to save grams, when he could just lose five pounds off his middle for free.
This is both true and untrue at the same time. Yes, getting more power from the upgrade will net you more bang for buck, but make no mistake:

Stationary mass is not even remotely close to rotational mass on a car.

We can spare the physics, but the conversion from static -> rotational weight is about 8.4 to 1.

So some math for my model 3 performance (whenever it does arrive)

20x9 Uberturbine = 32lbs raw weight
19x8.5 Martians (example wheel) = 20.5lbs raw weight
Difference of 11.5lbs x 4 wheels = 46lbs raw weight

46 x 8.4 = 386.4lbs of equivalent static weight

So... hardly a biker losing some lbs. Its like having your two friends get out of the car before a drag race (and you would do that if you wanted to win).

Additionally, the drag on the motor is significantly different due to significantly increased resistance to rotation of a heavier object. Additionally, by having a smaller wheel the weight is closer to the axis, again reducing resistance on the motor.

These things add up. Not saying its worth the coin... but if the wheels net you 5% increase in battery range (which is likely base on what I've seen on youtube for similar comparisons)... a 3k set of wheels would actually pay for itself in 5 years

I have the Martian 18/8.5 wheel set on MY LR. Switched from 20 inch induction wheels. Nakkian AllWeather tires. Huge ride difference for comfort. Less KWhrs/mile although no formal testing. The wheels look great

Attachments

• 9B2862B5-A179-4363-8B6F-6D00CCCBD773.jpeg
    9B2862B5-A179-4363-8B6F-6D00CCCBD773.jpeg
    788 KB · Views: 549
  • 0CC12B72-0F73-4445-B3EA-CCF728C2C8F2.jpeg
    0CC12B72-0F73-4445-B3EA-CCF728C2C8F2.jpeg
    845.6 KB · Views: 406
  • DAFFA08F-BA17-4686-9125-03AE84906393.jpeg
    DAFFA08F-BA17-4686-9125-03AE84906393.jpeg
    615.8 KB · Views: 391
These things add up. Not saying its worth the coin... but if the wheels net you 5% increase in battery range (which is likely base on what I've seen on youtube for similar comparisons)... a 3k set of wheels would actually pay for itself in 5 years
I need to do some more testing, but: When I switched from the 21" Uberturbines on my Y PUP to Martian 19 x 8.5" rims with Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires I saw about a 3% reduction in range. (The Bridgestone tires I tried were a 6% reduction.) This was on a freeway loop at 65 mph tested multiple times with the same conditions present. Also, my 0-60 times measured with a Dragy did not change at all. (Also multiple tests with each configuration.) I've now switched to Tsportline TST wheels with the Quatracs, and I'm able to match the efficiency I was getting with the stock setup. This is a 3% improvement over the Martians. Full disclosure: I've not tested the TSTs under the exact conditions I tested the other wheels yet, as it's not warm enough yet. I may see some improvement as it warms up. Test conditions: 60 - 65 degrees, light winds, 80% battery pre-conditioned shortly before test, lights and HVAC off, cruise on @ 65 mph. The test route is a loop to further reduce the variable effect of wind on the test.

My conclusion is that the stock Uberturbines are very efficient and any wheel that is not at least equally aerodynamic will cause a reduction in range.

I cannot attest to your results, but it would be very very surprising.

The uberturbines have maybe a touch of aerodynamics to them, but they are hardly aero wheels. They are also NOTORIOUS range killers; something tesla even outright admits. The literal difference between the long range and the performance's 35+mile range difference is only the wheels/tires and nothing but the wheels/tires.

Plus, assuming you had the stock summer tires on the ubers and went to an all season (inherently less grip and roll resistance), I almost wonder the following: was your speedo adjusted? Just going to the all-seasons should have net you range (maybe not 0-60).

I only ask because countless tests have shown going from the 21" uberturbines on the Y performance to literally ANY 19" will result in an astounding pickup in efficiency, let alone 0-60 time. Its just physics. But if your speedo isn't recalibrate for the significantly smaller diameter... I guess that could explain it> Don't know what can possibly account for your experience. Aerodynamics matter, but your 21" are legit nearly 70lbs on the back and had a summer sticky...

Just see the following:

Again, can't attest to your findings, and maybe you are experiencing something, but it pretty much defies the laws of physics.

I cannot attest to your results, but it would be very very surprising.

The uberturbines have maybe a touch of aerodynamics to them, but they are hardly aero wheels. They are also NOTORIOUS range killers; something tesla even outright admits. The literal difference between the long range and the performance's 35+mile range difference is only the wheels/tires and nothing but the wheels/tires.

Plus, assuming you had the stock summer tires on the ubers and went to an all season (inherently less grip and roll resistance), I almost wonder the following: was your speedo adjusted? Just going to the all-seasons should have net you range (maybe not 0-60).

I only ask because countless tests have shown going from the 21" uberturbines on the Y performance to literally ANY 19" will result in an astounding pickup in efficiency, let alone 0-60 time. Its just physics. But if your speedo isn't recalibrate for the significantly smaller diameter... I guess that could explain it> Don't know what can possibly account for your experience. Aerodynamics matter, but your 21" are legit nearly 70lbs on the back and had a summer sticky...

Just see the following:

Again, can't attest to your findings, and maybe you are experiencing something, but it pretty much defies the laws of physics.
I agree that what you are saying makes sense but this video seemed to find that the 21s were more efficient than the 19s.