Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

severe battery drain over <2 days sitting (~140 miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,
I left my car unplugged from tuesday night when i got home from work (fell ill after i got home and didnt end up going back out that night so i never plugged in), until thursday afternoon (44h later or so). got in the car with less than 60(!) miles of charge left and the car sounded like it was about to take off when i walked in to the garage (climate control running this whole time?). The car would have had around 200 or so miles on it when i got home, i dont remember the exact number but thats the typical amount left from a round trip to work and back. Fairly mild temps (50-60s) over that 2 day span, in a closed garage.

Anyone experienced this severe of a drain over such a short time? If it was any lower id have been in big trouble getting anywhere around town to do my normal driving. I wonder if there is an issue with the preconditioning software, or something else im not aware of. I never use the always on climate feature, and I definitely did not turn on the climate control from the app at any point over that time.

car is mid 2017 S90D.

Sounds like you left climate control on the whole time. Unlimited climate control strikes again! It's a feature not a bug.

Get a logger so you can tell what the car has done in the past without guessing...

Sounds like you left climate control on the whole time. Unlimited climate control strikes again! It's a feature not a bug.

Get a logger so you can tell what the car has done in the past without guessing...
I definitely didnt turn on the climate control after i got home, so i dont know how it activated other than preconditioning the following morning(s), but i definitely suspect it was the unlimited CC in some form getting me.

Curious. This just happened to me as well. Model S75. Left it parked for 4 days while traveling. It (uncharacteristically) lost ~60 miles the first day, then held steady for 24 hours, then lost 110 miles the 3rd day, then drained from 29 miles to 17 miles in about half an hour the last day.

Tesla roadside assistance towed the vehicle to a service center to recharge while I was flying home, but I'd like to understand what happened.

I routinely travel and leave this car parked without issue. The weather's fairly temperate right now.

I don't recall adjust any settings recently, so perhaps there's a new setting that's defaulted the wrong way for me.

Even so, draining the battery wouldn't seem to be an appropriate side effect of any feature - I can't imagine that'd be seen as useful.

Curious. This just happened to me as well. Model S75. Left it parked for 4 days while traveling. It (uncharacteristically) lost ~60 miles the first day, then held steady for 24 hours, then lost 110 miles the 3rd day, then drained from 29 miles to 17 miles in about half an hour the last day.

Tesla roadside assistance towed the vehicle to a service center to recharge while I was flying home, but I'd like to understand what happened.

I routinely travel and leave this car parked without issue. The weather's fairly temperate right now.

I don't recall adjust any settings recently, so perhaps there's a new setting that's defaulted the wrong way for me.

Even so, draining the battery wouldn't seem to be an appropriate side effect of any feature - I can't imagine that'd be seen as useful.

Same thing. 200 miles to 0 in 6 days. I didn't notice until I couldn't connect via the app. Amazingly, I got the car to drive 4 blocks at a max speed of 29mph floored to a Walgreens with charge point and it took 2 hours at 6KW to get 7 miles of rates miles to get to a super charger that was 5 miles away. No idea what happened. It was cold but I left it 5 more days in similar weather and only lost 2-5 miles a day. I'm baffled.

Same thing. 200 miles to 0 in 6 days. I didn't notice until I couldn't connect via the app. Amazingly, I got the car to drive 4 blocks at a max speed of 29mph floored to a Walgreens with charge point and it took 2 hours at 6KW to get 7 miles of rates miles to get to a super charger that was 5 miles away. No idea what happened. It was cold but I left it 5 more days in similar weather and only lost 2-5 miles a day. I'm baffled.

What firmware are you on? one of the 2018.4.xxxxx ones?