TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Severe drop in range after PEM repair

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bart513, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bart513

bart513 Active Member

i recently had my PEM repaired/replaced at the local SC. I noticed that the range showe 86 miles when it would normally be higher. I don't recall the percent charged. I then did abnormal full charge and the range showed only 118 miles instead of the normal 175-179 miles. Any thoughts ???

2. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Does it say "Ideal" or "Estimated" next to the range? It sounds like they hit a button and it's showing estimated instead of ideal.

3. diesel

diesel Member

If like me you read this and find yourself wondering what a PEM is, look at this thread.

4. bart513

bart513 Active Member

I'll have to check when I get home. It's an important question I know, but even if it's estimated it's still very very low.

5. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

After a day at the track my estimated miles will drop to around 60. Maybe they did some full power testing to check for overheating.

• Like x 1
  6. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

118 is pretty close to normal for my estimated range. But then, I do live off of the fastest highway in the nation. An 85MPH commute really brings down the estimated range.

• Like x 2
  7. bart513

bart513 Active Member

I was so shocked seeing that low number I didn't even think to check . I'll be home late tomorrow night and post in Saturday. On the one hand I hope it's estimated and my battery is healthy. On the other hand I hope that there was a screw up and I get a new battery on the house !

8. bart513

bart513 Active Member

Embarrassing to say but the update is exactly what was theorized. It was the estimated not the ideal mileage range that was showing....... On another topic I'm getting nowhere trying to get Tesla to extend my ESA as it was out of commission for 5 months due to length of repair, waiting for appointments, waiting for parts, etc. Still working on it though as I feel fair is fair:)

9. MileHighMotoring

Tesla doesn't do that - otherwise every car that ever had a problem would get their warranties extended. Even simple parts take 3 months to arrive to the SC or body shop. This is on the new cars too BTW. It's like the old joke about waiting too long at a restaurant and you ask your wife, "Are they driving to the farm to pick up what's ordered for each customer?" It feels like they don't stock parts, they just make one each time a customer needs a bumper or a light or a small special bolt or screw.

10. bart513

bart513 Active Member

That doesn't make it right especially when they don't give you a loaner while waiting 3 months...