Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Severe problem with Auto Lane Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received 2019.8.2 and have noticed a severe problem with Auto Lane Change, multiple times when I clicked my blinker to change lanes it went back and forth attempting to perform the lane change without any cars behind me. I used to see this in a previous release only once and a while and it would only go back and forth once, not multiple times. It also would not change lanes and eventually cancel the lane change when there was no other cars around me. Has anyone else noticed this?

I’ve seen this regularly on my 3 with both 2019.5.4 and 2019.5.15. I never let it get beyond the third attempt because I actually start yelling at the car and angrily take over control and I also don’t want to get pulled over for suspected drunk driving. This happened just yesterday with a cop just a few cars ahead of me so it really is a big concern for me. This needs to be fixed...

Reactions: outdoors
2019.5.15 - 100 mile trip on NoA. Flawless on auto lane changes.

If trouble happens, look closely at lane markings, exit lanes, etc. Most times if it does happen,I have been able to see a problem.

My issues were on a perfectly marked highway with 65mph speed limit and nothing to do with exit lanes. I don’t see any lane marking issues in the OP’s video either.

Reactions: PoitNarf
All I'll say is don't be guinea pigs for Tesla. If the problem comes and goes depending on the software version, then their methodology for software development is flawed as they don't have proper QA and dependency flow charts. How can we trust the software if Tesa engineers fix a problem in one version and cause it to recur in a future version. That's just bad for system software. It's acceptable in the majority of the tech world but not for system software.

My issues were on a perfectly marked highway with 65mph speed limit and nothing to do with exit lanes. I don’t see any lane marking issues in the OP’s video either.

Same here. If it only happened on stretch’s of road where the lane markings were iffy I would understand. But all of the auto lane change hesitations I’ve experienced have been in very well marked areas with no other cars nearby in the lane I was trying to move to.