Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Severe problem with Auto Lane Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this happened right after I did my software update to 2019.8.2 three days ago. Yesterday I did a console restart (pressing both steering wheel buttons, no brake pedal) and over the last two days since my video, Auto Lane Change has worked flawlessly. Only thing is I was on different highways. I'm going to go back to the highway where I had the problem and see if its working there. BUT I'm curious if the folks who are also having the problem got their update recently and if you could try doing a console restart and see if it resolves the issue.

So this happened right after I did my software update to 2019.8.2 three days ago. Yesterday I did a console restart (pressing both steering wheel buttons, no brake pedal) and over the last two days since my video, Auto Lane Change has worked flawlessly. Only thing is I was on different highways. I'm going to go back to the highway where I had the problem and see if its working there. BUT I'm curious if the folks who are also having the problem got their update recently and if you could try doing a console restart and see if it resolves the issue.

I always do the '2 finger salute' after a firmware update, and this was no different for 5.15 and 8.1 on my P3D+. Does not help the bad ping-pong missed lane changes.

Now this is weird, I just tried it again on the same highway as this morning (going in the opposite direction) and had the severe problem over and over again. So I don't think the console restart has anything to do with it.

• Informative
Reactions: Steve Martin
How do I do a camera calibration?

I haven't been able to find anything about how to initiate this process. The Owners Guide makes reference to calibration "Note: Model 3 repeats the calibration process if the cameras are serviced by Tesla and in some cases, after a software update." (Page 65)

I would assume a SC could trigger this or perhaps an OTA from support might be able to trigger it as well. May be worth asking support/SC about it and see if it helps.

Just received 2019.8.2 and have noticed a severe problem with Auto Lane Change, multiple times when I clicked my blinker to change lanes it went back and forth attempting to perform the lane change without any cars behind me. I used to see this in a previous release only once and a while and it would only go back and forth once, not multiple times. It also would not change lanes and eventually cancel the lane change when there was no other cars around me. Has anyone else noticed this?

i like ur videos on youtube bro....thanks for posting

This is going to be a really dumb question, but when we get new software, does it recalibrate the settings all over again? I only ask because my commute to work today, heavy traffic, including changing highways, was pretty much flawless. Went against everything I said the other day. Maybe I was lucky? No idea. But today was silky smooth. No hard braking. Even noticed a car way ahead was going slow and suggested moving over to keep at current pace. Usually I need to be riding someone for a while before I get that message. I'll see what happens tomorrow, but today was nice!

I had the same issue multiple times yesterday on a 25 minute commute in heavy traffic on 5.15. Clear conditions and will marked lines.

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned was the inability to turn off the signal after the lane change was aborted. Normally I press in the same direction to turn off, but had to do a full signal in the opposite direction to turn it off.

I can only imagine what other drivers think.

I now see what OP is taking about. I have 5.15 but today on the way home from JFK towards Philly, NoA was working poorly and Lane change on turn signal was so messed up. Cars were waaay behind me in the attempting leave but it would try 2-3 times swerving drunk like and then either bailing out or eventually moving over..

It was super reluctant.

I can’t remember which thread I said negative things about NoA and Auto Lane Change, but with latest firmware, Auto Lane change is 50% faster and 50% more aggressive than before. However, it’s still too slow and too gentle for LA. I think I can use it in medium traffic without disengagement now. Still needs more testing, but won’t use in daily commutes with heavy traffic.

Now I have more confidence that it’ll be better and more natural in the future.

Today I had a pickup truck high beaming me because my car had blinkers On but was taking too long to change lanes.

Just received 2019.8.2 and have noticed a severe problem with Auto Lane Change, multiple times when I clicked my blinker to change lanes it went back and forth attempting to perform the lane change without any cars behind me. I used to see this in a previous release only once and a while and it would only go back and forth once, not multiple times. It also would not change lanes and eventually cancel the lane change when there was no other cars around me. Has anyone else noticed this?

Birth pains. That's all it is.

Lets review this thread in a year...or six months.