Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

severe range anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
130 miles left. I've had the M3 since July 21st. I have not taken any road trips yet. Also, I do not have a way to charge consistently at night. My primary source of charge is a Level 2 J1772 charger that is free at Whole Foods that I charge while having lunch there daily or every other day. My other source is either weekly or bi-weekly visit to a supercharger if I have driven a lot on the weekends.

Once a week, I am able to trickle charge nightly on a 120V outlet.

55 miles left, no axiety. Considering that was the entire electric range of my previous Volt it's no wonder.

After a week or two (or less) it begins to dawn on you that with nearly the same range as most gas cars and the fuel station at home in my case at least I rarely glance at the battery level with a stronger interest in efficiency than, "Will I make it?!!!"

edit: what Twiglett said about the nav and charge at arrival is spot on, it's fantastic and quite accurate!

Reactions: KarenRei
Got down to about 50 miles on a road trip, but I was on my way to a planned supercharger stop anyway so anxiety level was zero. Plan your longer trips out before you hit the road and you won’t run into any problems.

23 miles. I was on a long distance trip and the Supercharger closest to me didn't have many amenities and didn't have great reviews on Google Maps so I chose to skip to the next one. I needed to go about 100 miles with 128 miles to go. The navigation advised me to drive less than 75 mph to reach my destination. I increased my speed a bit as I got closer and more confident that I would make it.

What is the closest to "empty" anyone has gone and on a scale of 1 to 10 what was your anxiety level?
After a very, very long day I managed to get the Bolt (238mi nominal range) down to about 24 miles remaining before I pulled into my driveway. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say it rose to perhaps a Anxiety 2 (it reached conscious thought level), but only because it was well past midnight and if so some unforeseen reason I had misgauged I'd have to phone to get my wife out of bed to pick me up. Low odds of failure balanced by an extremely negative potential outcome. ;)

You guys are all wimps. I frequently got home with 2 miles left on my Leaf. So, there is zero range anxiety for me in the Model 3 LR.
"Pfff, luxury. Our father, after beating us about the head and shoulders with a charging cable, used to send us out on 300 mile trips, through the snow, uphill round trip, with only a bag of mouldy lemons, a galvanized tree twig, and the expectation that we'd dance on street corners to earn the penny to use as the cathode."

20ish miles trying to find supercharger in place I hadn't been. Really a non-issue though, way more than enough room for error. Tesla does a decent job at protecting us from dumb mistakes.

When was the last time you saw an ICE vehicle tell you to navigate to X location due to lack of range to get to your destination? All without asking it. Nope, all you will see is a "you're almost empty!" alert and hope something is nearby.

11 miles in Utah this summer. Was already rolling in a bit low due to unexpected pleasure of 80 mph speed limit. Misread map/signs, missed the Supercharger and ended up back on freeway. Next exit: 4 miles, so 8 miles back to Supercharger.

Never was particularly worried; I've found Tesla range display to be solid.. However, if next exit would have been 14 miles, not 4, only choice would have been to back down the onramp and plead desperation if a grumpy highway patrol appeared.

10 miles. But I was within 20 miles of the Supercharger, with Nav/Trip Planner running (and it showed 40 miles remaining), so I decided to gun it and run the battery down, because I knew I'd make it up in Supercharging speed. So, in effect, I saved ~10 minutes.....5 on the way in, and 5 while plugged.

Reactions: halfricanguy