Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

severe range anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Model 3 down to 6 miles showing, but not anxious about it as I was near home. But also because I own a 2012 LEAF that I’ve driven to what Nissan calls their Very Low Battery Warning with no miles left. A bit like “E” on the fuel tank...there’s a little more left. And 6 miles for the LEAF is a significant portion of its now total range per charge so I’m frequently driving in that zone in that car. I usually keep the Model 3 above 10% on a trip, and 80% at home on its charging station.

I still have my leaf. Last month, I got really low but got into work to charge. Then I thought, "was this the charger that is broken?" Before getting out the car. So I wanted to move to the next one but the car didn't start any more. Luckily it was a working charger.

I've since told my wife if she's ever low in the leaf, to not turn off the car until she gets home to charge.

My Fiat 500e has broken me of range anxiety. We try to arrive at Superchargers with the battery gauge in the yellow, which is 8-20%. The lowest we've gotten down to was 6%. Range anxiety would have kicked in if the Supercharger had been out of order.

I'm not even sure where to begin.

Severe range anxiety.

In a 300-mile car with relatively accurate gages, and an astonishingly simple and flexible way to charge just about anywhere with an electrical outlet. And Supercharger and destination networks that total up to many thousands of charge locations (well, millions if you include outlets). That's what we're talking about right?

As so many others have have already posted here... when Tesla owners are experiencing "extreme range anxiety" when they have 40 miles left in the tank... that 40 miles is a FULL tank in my Leaf. That's where we BEGIN our journey in the Leaf. But of course the leaf is still quite simple to charge, and plug in almost anywhere if needed, with the included convenience charger.

Dig back a little deeper to my first three EVs. Now we are talking about cars with total range when new of 50, 80 and 90 miles (at, say 55 mph in good weather). And effectively NO way to charge anywhere but at an official inductive charging station - either at home or in the few public locations available. Yes, you could make the 80-pound charger portable by adding a plug, and lugging it around with you (let's just say that it wouldn't fit in any frunk). BUT, it could only be used with a 240V 30A (bare-minimum... 40A being the legal requirement) circuit. Had to find a 30A electric dryer outlet at minimum. 50A Welder outlet better. I managed to survive many years with that situation. And now having a 300-mile car that can charge from any source?? OMG. I've cancelled my Xanax prescription.

I'm not even sure where to begin.

Severe range anxiety.

In a 300-mile car with relatively accurate gages, and an astonishingly simple and flexible way to charge just about anywhere with an electrical outlet. And Supercharger and destination networks that total up to many thousands of charge locations (well, millions if you include outlets). That's what we're talking about right?

As so many others have have already posted here... when Tesla owners are experiencing "extreme range anxiety" when they have 40 miles left in the tank... that 40 miles is a FULL tank in my Leaf. That's where we BEGIN our journey in the Leaf. But of course the leaf is still quite simple to charge, and plug in almost anywhere if needed, with the included convenience charger.

Dig back a little deeper to my first three EVs. Now we are talking about cars with total range when new of 50, 80 and 90 miles (at, say 55 mph in good weather). And effectively NO way to charge anywhere but at an official inductive charging station - either at home or in the few public locations available. Yes, you could make the 80-pound charger portable by adding a plug, and lugging it around with you (let's just say that it wouldn't fit in any frunk). BUT, it could only be used with a 240V 30A (bare-minimum... 40A being the legal requirement) circuit. Had to find a 30A electric dryer outlet at minimum. 50A Welder outlet better. I managed to survive many years with that situation. And now having a 300-mile car that can charge from any source?? OMG. I've cancelled my Xanax prescription.
And you try and tell that to Tesla owners of today and they won't believe you!

Last edited:
0 miles, but on my MS
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2aad.jpeg

Yep! I still own 2 Leafs! After cutting your teeth on cars like that, Tesla is a breeze. I've had zero miles pulling into Supercharger as well. In fact, I have fallen short by about 5 miles pulling cargo. About the only time with Tesla anxiety is when pulling heavy trailer across the country and getting less than 100 miles a charge. Also had the NAV go out on a long trip and that was a challenge with some range anxiety as well...

Last edited:
Here's the deal, for all the hype and whataboutisms. That 310 miles is not in the middle of winter with electric heat on and winter tires. I think this whole 'range anxiety' thing and many who post here are just adrenaline junkies. Programmed into people is 'what's the worst that could happen', walk to the nearest gas station, borrow or buy a gas container w/ 2 gallons of gas and walk back. easy-peasy. No it won't work that way now. When you're on a long trip, get gas when the car suggests you get it. Discovering in May you can skip every other suggested supercharger you will likely find you'll need a flat bed to drive you to the nearest supercharger making that same trip with the same skip every other suggested recharge when driving it in Feb.

I get range anxiety in my Zoe when the GOM reaches 0km and just displays "---" for the range. Other than that? Never. In Winter I regularly drive down to 5km remaining range. I simply adjust my speed so I make it there, with my lowest highway speed being 94km/h

... Discovering in May you can skip every other suggested supercharger you will likely find you'll need a flat bed to drive you to the nearest supercharger making that same trip with the same skip every other suggested recharge when driving it in Feb.
Assuming that one completely ignores the navigation projections of battery SOC at the destination and the warnings to slow down to make it!

This begs the question: "how much change are drivers willing to accept?" Driving and maintaining a conventional car is a complex process that most of us don't even think about because we have been doing it for years. Driving an EV is different. You need to plug it in when you get home (if you have charging at home). You get to start out with a full tank every day, if you choose, and don't need to worry about fueling except on road trips. Road trips require a lot more care because DCFC stations are few, compared to gas stations, and charging takes longer than a gasoline fill-up. Are people willing to adapt to a different kind of car? What if the car is cheaper to fuel and has much better performance as well as reduced maintenance, does that help? How did people adapt to the switch from horses to cars and trains in the first place?

A longer range will help with those long road trip edge cases, but at some point the expense of the extra batteries isn't cost-effective for most users. More DCFC stations will help — what would it be like if you could pull off at pretty much every freeway exit to charge, as is the case with gas stations now? Faster charging wiill help but I don't expect battery technology to allow 5 minute fill-ups anytime soon, so that won't be much of a factor.

For many of us who have been road-tripping in a Tesla for awhile, the charge breaks just aren't that big of a deal. I think that more people will discover that, in time. Take a friend on a road trip?

Last edited:
Down to 9 miles and I wouldn’t have had those 9 miles if I hadn’t drafted, kept the heat off and drove a reasonable speed. I did have some good range anxiety the last half of that trip home. I usually have no problem but it was a combination of not being able to charge at work because they were taken and very cold, snowy, windy weather. I kept seeing the projected end of trip battery percentage drop and at one point go to - -.

I have to do a 250 mile round trip to Maine this Saturday in 12F weather....but before the snow comes.

Sadly, gonna have to pop the aeros back on for this one. Yes, there are Superchargers along the way, but 12 is awfully cold. I don't want to stop at EVERY SC.