Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Severe traction issues on roads with ice/snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Happy Kappy

2017 Model S P100D and 2017 Model S 90D
Nov 18, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Wanted to post this after I had major issues with driving on snowy roads to see if others are experiencing problems. This happened two weeks ago for me and I thought I was crazy. Felt like rear end kept slipping out, especially when hitting bumps. ABS kept going off. Couldn't driver faster than 40mph on highway without losing control. It was horrible.

Two days later got a call from my brother who has a Model S in Michigan, who I had not spoken with about the problem. Told me he went out that morning on snowy/icy road conditions and almost went in the ditch from the car going all over the place. Had to slow down to 35mph in order to stay on the road properly. I explained I had the same issue.

Called two friends who have Model S units as well. One other in WI and one in NY. Neither had problems like we did but they both said they had also not been on snowy/icy roads yet.

A few days later one called me and said they drove out on their first snowy day and and freaked out. Car all over the place. Super frustrated and scared.

Just got a call from my friend in NY and he was still in his car. Sent a video of the road conditions, which were the same we had driven on. Same problem. Scared that crap out of him. He flipped in and back out of Chill just to see if it mattered. For a bit it was normal and then same thing...ABS going off and car all over the road.

Couple notes here. We all have snow tires. Only happens when snow and ice is present and there are slippery conditions...not when roads have salt, etc. Two of the four cars drove last winter and were amazing. All experienced the same issues. One is a 2016 AP1 90D, one is a 2018 P100D AP2.5, one is a 2019 100D AP2.5, and one is a 2020 Raven. I did test my 75 RWD with no snow tires and I had no issues at all. The issue appears to be with AWD units.

Haven't called Tesla yet but will be doing that. Wanted to ping the forum right away to make people away of the potential issue and see if anyone else is experiencing this. I did call another friend who is driving a Plaid and he said he isn't having any issues. We think it may be in a software update related to more aggressive brake regen where one axle drive may be a bit off from the others, but obviously we are not software engineers so we don't know. In the words of one friend "this car is junk if they don't fix the problem as I can't drive with snow on the roads".

Well we have had snow and icy conditions since the beginning of December last year (photo attached) and I have not experienced anything different that I have had last two winters. Mine is AP1 2016 AWD model and currently still on SW 2020.48.37.6.
In matter of fact this very evening we have major snowstorm (gusts up to 35kt/s, pressure as low as 965hPa) and my drive home from work had no exception at all.
4B688652-94E5-4E10-BAD5-8A56F3D3FE58.jpeg

Last edited:
No car will beat ice unless you put spikes/studs on your tires. I've been in conditions where the car will slide sideways on ice when you lean on it while parked - there is nothing a car can do. In one situation I just pushed my car sideways (literally) to the curb and went back in the house waiting for things to thaw. Ok, maybe some day Roadster 20xx will have thrusters which will help you move on ice like an air-boat. ;)

Last edited:
Concur.

I am experiencing the same issue in Upstate NY. Snow tires, highway and even city driving. I did not have this issue last year in the snow but having scary problems this year.

If I take the foot off to slow the car down for slush, snow or ice then the car starts to slip and slide in highways. Scary.

I thought perhaps my snow tire was worn out but still has very good treads.

Looks like something has changed in the software perhaps?

Last year the car felt solid when driving in the snow, but this year something is not right.

Thanks all for the various comments...even the smart ass ones...actually makes me laugh so I like those.

I think it is important to clarify that it is experienced most when there is ice under the snow/slush. Will continue to monitor it and it goes away after the next update.

Thanks all for the various comments...even the smart ass ones...actually makes me laugh so I like those.

I think it is important to clarify that it is experienced most when there is ice under the snow/slush. Will continue to monitor it and it goes away after the next update.
Based on process of elimination, it seems to occur when the regenerative brake kicks in, as you take the foot off the accelerator, no slipping issues when I am accelerating even if very slowly. Only when the regenerative brakes kick in... !!!!

On mine there doesn't seem to be any appreciable "reverse traction control" from the motors on decel, they just do their target kw based on what the driver's right foot is doing, and any wheelspeed variation is all handled through the ABS system which has a relatively high intervention threshold that will be to slow to intervene to stop yaw on decel if the yaw is initiated by the regen. I wonder if this is still true with autopilot engaged, but I've never been dumb enough to slow the car on ice in autopilot

It's quite the contrast because the acceleration traction on ice and snow on this car is the best I've ever experienced, it's like a cheat code

Last edited:
Based on process of elimination, it seems to occur when the regenerative brake kicks in, as you take the foot off the accelerator, no slipping issues when I am accelerating even if very slowly. Only when the regenerative brakes kick in... !!!!
I'm new. Confirming you can't turn regen breaking off? Other than charging to 100% which would only be temporary.