Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sevice Center experience (service in general actually)

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
I have a few minutes sitting here at work so I thought I would take time to post about my Tesla experience thus far.
This is prompted by my immediate experience in the last 24 hours and also I will try to convey my "perceived" experience ..it will make since, I hope.

So in the beginning ( Jan of this year) I decided to finally just get an MS after all these years of dreaming about it . Went to to Tamp Fl store on a Sunday and to my surprise, a young lady came out and proceeded to let us take 2 long test drives. One in an S and one in an X . She was very patient and helpful .It was a delightful experience , so much in fact that we ordered a MS on line the following night . Lots of emails that were promptly answered by young lady .

Picked car up about 3 weeks later , very smooth and nice operation .

Had a few questions after I picked up over the next few weeks and answers were...lets say, a lot slower. But they did come.

Same thing last month when my wife decide to get a M3, so I will not bore with details...

Friday on way home from work wifes M3 get a crack in the windshield. Orlando is the closest SC so I started the dreaded task of texting with them . Dreaded is an example of my "preconceived" feelings after all the posts I have read about horrible after sale service .

I had lots of questions, and answers were somewhat slow, but then the biggie!! They informed me ,via text, there was no loaners available and they would issue Uber credits!!!!

I was like "NO WAY". We are 1.5 hours away from SC and my wife works 30 miles (one way) from home 5 days a week, this is unacceptable (I actually texted that to them ).
Then all texts stopped cold for hours.

I spent most of yesterday fuming over posts about customer service and lack of communication and how you can never get a hold of a real person ext, ext... I am sure I did not need any cardio exercise yesterday due to my heart rate being through the roof over this . After all , we have spent a LOT of money on these cars...dont they know who I am !!(lol)

So after a few phone calls with my wife and lots of unanswered questions via text to SC- like how long will they have the car??
Do they have to wait on the Glass to get here???
Can they get her a rental due to our long distance commuting ???

I finally got mad enough to actually do the unthinkable.... call the service center!

I had made up my mind I would take as much time as it took to get a REAL person on the phone to work with me...and I mean no matter how long!!!

At this point, I had started to daydream about driving my car through the store windows and telling them to keep their damn car if they cant answer a few simple questions when I need repairs!!!

Here is where I began to feel a little stupid...while I know that this must depend on location , here is what happened when I called...

The phone rang ,I was greeted by a automated directory. I went through and did not have option for asking questions so I picked option as if my car was already in service.
Phone transferred, I heard 2 rings and there was actually a human voice at the other end...yes human...
It was in fact a real, live human being that after I explained my adventure , we both laughed. With in 60 seconds we had worked out our problem. He told me to ask for him when we get there in the morning ( he was there) .

So they now have the car, told me we can pick up tomorrow , and are even going to try to reduce the invoice amount...what more could you ask for ?
We did not get loaner- but because there were able to TELL me they only needed the car for one night, we were able to work around that and not make that a bid deal..I mean if they dont have loaners, all my complaining is not going to change that right?? We just want he car fixed.

The moral of the story for me is this:

I am a fairly rational person, but after months of reading all this negativity around after sales service, I had already convinced myself that I was a victim of it also....I was wrong. Had I not read all those posts, I would have simply called in the 1st place... and yesterday would have never been a big deal. well, reading the posts is not really the problem...taking them on as my experience PRIOR to actually have some, is a problem.
I learned a valuable lesson (that I already know actually) and that is I need to not let others complaining influence my expectations. Here I had this bad attitude all for nothing.

Im not trying to minimize others lack of customer service in any way or imply that i think its ok...I do not & I hate to see those reviews. However, my experience was quite the opposite and I thought I would post it (to do some small part of balancing the scales so to say).

I find my self mildly amused with the way I let this get all crazy in my head for no reason....amused as in laughing at myself. I guess if you cant laugh at yourself, your missing the best joke in town!

Sorry for the rambling...

Last edited:

PhilDavid

May 22, 2018
Philadelphia
IMHO most of the Service issues we hear about and then needlessly get escalated will no longer happen if customers can talk to a human being at the actual Service Center.

The present text message based system works only as well as they are conscientious about replying. Last time we took our car in for service if was a huge fiasco because there was no communication. They sat on the car for 5 days before even working on it and in the meantime bird poop etched on the paint of the hood of my car while it sat there for days baking in the hot sun :(

If they had told me they are backed up, I would have been happy to bring my car in 5 days later and save them the money they wasted on Uber credits.

Tesla Service is great. Just needs more COMMUNICATION. In fact it is poor or nonexistent communication that oftentimes ruins great Service.

Last edited:

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
IMHO most of the Service issues we hear about and then needlessly get escalated will no longer happen if customers can talk to a human being at the actual Service Center.

The present text message based system works only as well as they are conscientious about replying. Last time we took our car in for service if was a huge fiasco because there was no communication. They sat on the car for 5 days before even working on it and in the meantime bird poop etched on the paint of the hood of my car while it sat there for days baking in the hot sun :(

If they had told me they are backed up, I would have been happy to bring my car in 5 days later and save them the money they wasted on Uber credits.

Tesla Service is great. Just needs more COMMUNICATION.

Agree!
Communication seems to be becoming an undervalued idea across the board really. I dont mind texting if thats the way to go, but WHEN you do text back, respond to my actual question..not some pre typed , robot response that does not address my concern.

And its not far from my mind that I am only half way through the process. I will update once done but I just wanted to share my craziness a little with people who might understand.

well, enoguh form the nut ward...lol

PhilDavid

May 22, 2018
Philadelphia
Agree!
Communication seems to be becoming an undervalued idea across the board really. I dont mind texting if thats the way to go, but WHEN you do text back, respond to my actual question..not some pre typed , robot response that does not address my concern.

And its not far from my mind that I am only half way through the process. I will update once done but I just wanted to share my craziness a little with people who might understand.

well, enoguh form the nut ward...lol

Yup, for 5 days I texted and they ignored my text and when they did replied with all sorts of BS.

At the end it costed them hundreds on Uber credits, a miserable service experience for myself, and I now have bird poop etched on my frunk hood. All could have been avoided if they had better communication.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
Just an update:

So last night at about 10pm I get a text saying our car was ready for pick and could be picked up as soon as 9am the following day (today)....very good
The app shows an invoice that I download and view and it is $60 more than the estimate. It now shows 2 camera validation charges ??

A little back story not in OP:

lots of my texts were becasue the estimate showed $1,057.00 . My insuracne agent told me anything over $1,000.00 would trigger rate increase. Anything under will not. SO, a lot of my texts yesterday had to do with trying to see if I could pay $100 out of pocket and then my invoice would be less than $1K.
Well it was a futile exercise in conveying what i needed.
SO, when we dropped it off yesterday I explained this ,in person, to the service writer who understood completely and said he would see what he could do . Very nice of him we thought.

Back to last nights text about car being ready:
I view the invoice and it is now over $1100.00 right, so this morning I text my disappointment at the extra charge .It is actually labeled something different and costs more than the duplicate validation charge . Having spent over 20 years in the car repair business I figured it was an un foreseen item . I am very accepting of that and while it sucks for me, it is what it is, but I sent text anyway...

The response from the SC was that they had indeed over charged me and they hope the new invoice would help us out.
I open the new invoice and its total is now $996.00 !!! YEH!!!!
All in all I think this has been very good customer service. While it was not the smoothest, it was satisfactory in the end . I dont think they owe me anything trying to make the invoice under $1k, but they went out of their way to do all the same.

Big Toys

Jan 19, 2019
Florida
I have a few minutes sitting here at work so I thought I would take time to post about my Tesla experience thus far.
This is prompted by my immediate experience in the last 24 hours and also I will try to convey my "perceived" experience ..it will make since, I hope.

So in the beginning ( Jan of this year) I decided to finally just get an MS after all these years of dreaming about it . Went to to Tamp Fl store on a Sunday and to my surprise, a young lady came out and proceeded to let us take 2 long test drives. One in an S and one in an X . She was very patient and helpful .It was a delightful experience , so much in fact that we ordered a MS on line the following night . Lots of emails that were promptly answered by young lady .

Had a few questions after I picked up over the next few weeks and answers were...lets say, a lot slower. But they did come.

Same thing last month when my wife decide to get a M3, so I will not bore with details...

Friday on way home from work wifes M3 get a crack in the windshield. Orlando is the closest SC so I started the dreaded task of texting with them . Dreaded is an example of my "preconceived" feelings after all the posts I have read about horrible after sale service .

I had lots of questions, and answers were somewhat slow, but then the biggie!! They informed me ,via text, there was no loaners available and they would issue Uber credits!!!!

I was like "NO WAY". We are 1.5 hours away from SC and my wife works 30 miles (one way) from home 5 days a week, this is unacceptable (I actually texted that to them ).

I spent most of yesterday fuming over posts about customer service and lack of communication and how you can never get a hold of a real person ext, ext... I am sure I did not need any cardio exercise yesterday due to my heart rate being through the roof over this . After all , we have spent a LOT of money on these cars...dont they know who I am !!(lol)

So after a few phone calls with my wife and lots of unanswered questions via text to SC- like how long will they have the car??

I finally got mad enough to actually do the unthinkable.... call the service center!

I had made up my mind I would take as much time as it took to get a REAL person on the phone to work with me...and I mean no matter how long!!!

At this point, I had started to daydream about driving my car through the store windows and telling them to keep their damn car if they cant answer a few simple questions when I need repairs!!!

Here is where I began to feel a little stupid...while I know that this must depend on location , here is what happened when I called...

The phone rang ,I was greeted by a automated directory. I went through and did not have option for asking questions so I picked option as if my car was already in service.
Phone transferred, I heard 2 rings and there was actually a human voice at the other end...yes human...
It was in fact a real, live human being that after I explained my adventure , we both laughed. With in 60 seconds we had worked out our problem. He told me to ask for him when we get there in the morning ( he was there) .

So they now have the car, told me we can pick up tomorrow , and are even going to try to reduce the invoice amount...what more could you ask for ?
We did not get loaner- but because there were able to TELL me they only needed the car for one night, we were able to work around that and not make that a bid deal..I mean if they dont have loaners, all my complaining is not going to change that right?? We just want he car fixed.

I am a fairly rational person, but after months of reading all this negativity around after sales service, I had already convinced myself that I was a victim of it also....I was wrong. Had I not read all those posts, I would have simply called in the 1st place... and yesterday would have never been a big deal. well, reading the posts is not really the problem...taking them on as my experience PRIOR to actually have some, is a problem.
I learned a valuable lesson (that I already know actually) and that is I need to not let others complaining influence my expectations. Here I had this bad attitude all for nothing.

Im not trying to minimize others lack of customer service in any way or imply that i think its ok...I do not & I hate to see those reviews. However, my experience was quite the opposite and I thought I would post it (to do some small part of balancing the scales so to say).

I find my self mildly amused with the way I let this get all crazy in my head for no reason....amused as in laughing at myself. I guess if you cant laugh at yourself, your missing the best joke in town!

I don't know if the Orlando center phone menu is different, but for West Palm, there is no option to connect to a person anywhere unless you go thru Sales. He is not at the top of the menu, either. You would have to know this "one little trick" otherwise you talk to no one. I'm sure the Sales guy there is just thrilled.

FoxSTL2HOU

Nov 12, 2018
HOU
I've never had a professionalism issue with any SC worker - the biggest downfall was just the move to "schedule via app only". In particular, it seems no one looks at or reviews the appointment until 48 hrs prior.

Current experience:

Created on 09May via app an appointment for 13May. App only allowed mobile ranger as a choice (I was picking from 'other' as the service category).
On 10May and 11May, suffered failures of firmware to update.
On 12May in the AM, receive txt from Tesla that the work in the request must be done at service center, so to give time for parts arrival, appt bumped to 20May. I mention the firmware failure, person on the other end of txt adds it to the notes.
On 18May, Tesla calls (!) to get clarification on the appt issues, and once the worker on the phone understands there are firmware failures, he passes the review onto a virtual team to look at logs, and claims they have a min 48 hr turnaround, so appt is delayed to 26May.

Fortunately these are non-driving-impacting repairs, so we can continue to use the car and not have it sit at the SC collecting dust, but a phone call on the first business day after submitting the appt (11May), and we probably could have saved a week+ (if the current schedule even holds!) of waiting around.

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
I don't know if the Orlando center phone menu is different, but for West Palm, there is no option to connect to a person anywhere unless you go thru Sales. He is not at the top of the menu, either. You would have to know this "one little trick" otherwise you talk to no one. I'm sure the Sales guy there is just thrilled.

There are about 6 options ,most options are automated "how to" kind of stuff.
One option is for sales, but the Orlando one has an option something to the effect of "questions about a car already in service" . This is the one I chose and got a real person .

FoxSTL2HOU

Nov 12, 2018
HOU
I've never had a professionalism issue with any SC worker - the biggest downfall was just the move to "schedule via app only". In particular, it seems no one looks at or reviews the appointment until 48 hrs prior.

Current experience:

Created on 09May via app an appointment for 13May. App only allowed mobile ranger as a choice (I was picking from 'other' as the service category).
On 10May and 11May, suffered failures of firmware to update.
On 12May in the AM, receive txt from Tesla that the work in the request must be done at service center, so to give time for parts arrival, appt bumped to 20May. I mention the firmware failure, person on the other end of txt adds it to the notes.
On 18May, Tesla calls (!) to get clarification on the appt issues, and once the worker on the phone understands there are firmware failures, he passes the review onto a virtual team to look at logs, and claims they have a min 48 hr turnaround, so appt is delayed to 26May.

Fortunately these are non-driving-impacting repairs, so we can continue to use the car and not have it sit at the SC collecting dust, but a phone call on the first business day after submitting the appt (11May), and we probably could have saved a week+ (if the current schedule even holds!) of waiting around.

Some greater force is mocking me - this afternoon, the front passenger door handle failed. At the same time, get a txt that the app has an updated estimate for approval - FYI, they now charge $10 if your firmware is failing. I respond to the txt saying "remove the firmware charge, it installed as noted in my prior txt, and please add a failed front passenger door handle." I get a response txt with a phone number and extension to call, who asks "what door handle is failed?"...

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
Tesla Service is great. Just needs more COMMUNICATION. In fact it is poor or nonexistent communication that oftentimes ruins great Service.
The concept of good communication must be a hard to grasp as a staff member when your boss has Twitter spasms on a regular basis.

FYI, they now charge $10 if your firmware is failing
You mean if they attempt to update the car at the service centre and it fails you get charged?

FoxSTL2HOU

Nov 12, 2018
HOU
You mean if they attempt to update the car at the service centre and it fails you get charged?

The estimate line-item in question:
"
Concern: customer states 2020.12.11.5 fails to load
Correction: Firmware Update - Repair
Total Labor: $9.75
"

More to the OP's point, I'll also say I'm shocked at the lack of common parts at the SC. My appt was pushed back because they did not have a passenger door handle latch on hand...which I believe is the single most common repair for a Model S. So if that's not in stock...

Kandiru

Oct 20, 2014
USA
Columbus SC A+++

The best ever car ownership experience. Even these days I can shoot an email and within hours I get a reply.

Worst defect was a steering problem:
Called 8AM, ranger arrived 100mi away before noon at my work, Dx/Rx and left me a loaner to drive until they brought the Tx'd lady back to the same parking lot 3days later.

I tell them what I want and they get it done, always!

tcoombes

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2018
Northern California

Great write-up and thank you for sharing your experience and impressions. Hopefully communication and consistency across Service Centers is improving. I have never had a negative experience at the Rocklin CA Service Center.

XLR82XS

D M C
Jul 26, 2019
SWFL | Vegas
All that writing and ya snuck in 1 & symbol. ;) Yes Tesla service has room for improvement overall. Have they improved over the years? Yes. Service center experiences vary on location and I have read reviews and hear stories of awesome and terrible experiences.

I believe the smaller centers may lack positive experiences and efficiency due to lack of proper staffing and/or employees who do not care enough to provide that "100% satisfied" scenario. Everyone's interacted with a pissed out/disgruntled retail employee at least once.

Alset2

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2020
Ocala. Fl
All that writing and ya snuck in 1 & symbol. ;)

Yes...lol

I really did not mean for that to turn into such a long post (what was I thinking???) but towards the end that "Shift 7" was one less key stroke vs the complete 3 letter word "and" haha

Great write-up and thank you for sharing your experience and impressions. Hopefully communication and consistency across Service Centers is improving. I have never had a negative experience at the Rocklin CA Service Center.

Thanks for the response (to all of you actually)
I like to be fair so it was worth all the typing. I read sooooo many complaints and I thought this might do some small step to balance the scales

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC