TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SF Bay Area Full-Coverage PPF quotes and experiences

Discussion in 'California' started by marusan, Aug 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. marusan

marusan Member

I'm looking to have my MCR Model 3 wrapped and would love if folks who also did this could share their quotes and experiences.

At delivery, I mentioned that I was looking into this, and the person who handled my delivery agreed that it was a good idea, suggested that I wait two months for the paint to cure (eek -- lots of opportunity for damage), and, "don't get gouged." He mentioned the ubiquitous OC Detailing, said they did a good job and got a lot of business due to their proximity to the factory, but dramatically overcharged.

I've contacted two folks in the south bay (near where I work). I'm not really impressed so far, particularly the flat charge model (especially given that a Model 3 has so much glass that doesn't need to be covered).

Supreme Detail Works
    Sent me a full menu in PDF form.
    Full body coverage $6850
    Includes "full" paint correction, 10 year warranty​

68 Auto Detail
    Interacted via Yelp
    Full body coverage $5000
    Includes decontamination (wash, clay bar, 1 stage paint correction). Llumar Platinum or Suntek Ultra (upon request)​

I just put out a quote request for Invisiguard in San Carlos, whom I've heard some good thing about.

• Informative x 2
  2. sroh

sroh Member

I had one of ours done with front end PPF with Jeremy at Invisiguard. I believe he is a one-man shop. He did a great job on our car and the quote was very reasonable.

I went with the group buy with Wheel Xperts in San Jose/Los Gatos for our second. Excellent pricing. But their Los Gatos shop is extremely busy and they didn't show as much attention to detail as I would have liked. But I will reserve final judgment until I have Alex take a look after the two week curing.

3. mobilesuit818

mobilesuit818 Member

LA has a pretty good group rate, would take some finesse with scheduling but might be worth it...

4. invalid

invalid Member

I had emailed OC Detailing about a quote. The price was reasonable, but they’re booked until Feb 2019. Eek. It was about $4750 for partial PPF and full ceramic coverage.

Talking to Imperial Works up in Sacramento. They’re quoting me a bit more, are free in October, but mentioned it may be 3-4 weeks with my car (also doing tint and chrome delete), which is a lot.

5. debuggr

debuggr Member

They would need your car for 3-4 weeks for PPF, tint, and chrome delete? That seems unreasonable ...

6. debuggr

debuggr Member

I’m corresponding with AutoProFilms in Belmont for PPF and tint; will report my findings.

7. invalid

invalid Member

And ceramic too...

I think what I’m going to do is use a local place for the tint and just a front PPF, then book OCDetailig and wait until Feb. Then it’s with a well regarded shop, more reasonable on timeline, and protected from chips until then.

8. marusan

marusan Member

I met with Shawn at 68 Auto Detail in Milpitas Friday (has almost 100% 5-star reviews on Yelp, and responds). Nice guy, and seemed knowledgeable. I'm still waiting to hear back from Invisiguard in San Carlos.

9. invalid

invalid Member

How far booked out are they?

10. marusan

marusan Member

Not too bad. I might get mine in this month.

11. Ichibanumba1

Ichibanumba1 New Member

How'd it go with the discussion at Invisiguard? I'm on that side of the bay, so it would be much easier to go there if the quality and price is on point.

12. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

13. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

Wow, Imperial is more expensive than OCD?

Re: OCD, what does partial include? Is it CQuartz for ceramic?

14. debuggr

debuggr Member

I'm also curious about this. I've mostly been talking to AutoProFilms in Belmont.

15. invalid

invalid Member

No, Imperial uses Ceramic Pro. I don't think I'm going to go with them though, cost more and the amount of time seemed way high.

I'm likely going to just have a frontal ppf and tint done locally. I'll polish and ceramic it myself. Won't be able to do full CQuartz Finest Reserve, but will be vastly cheaper, and this is a daily driver, so don't really need to spend that much. I don't know if the super premium stuff really lasts as long for all aspects. If I can do an annual polish/ceramic and get easy maintenance the rest of the year, that'd be awesome.

16. Trevor B

Trevor B Active Member

I was asking if OCD uses CQuartz :) What does their partial package include?

17. marusan

marusan Member

#17 marusan, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Substitute "am getting" for "might get". Should be done (by 68 Auto Detail) by the end of the week. I managed to slip into a gap in their schedule. Otherwise, it would've been a couple weeks later. I was happy to get it in early -- I hadn't accumulated any rock chips at all, so Shawn got a pristine car to work with (albeit with some Tesla-installed defects, like swirls and some apparently-substantial overspray).

Oh, I never heard back from Invisiguard at all.

• Informative x 2
  18. BayArea_David

BayArea_David Member

Hi Marusan,

How is the work from 68 Auto Detail? Thanks.

19. marusan

marusan Member

It's pretty good. First off, they do pre-cut, so you're going to see more edges than you would for a custom cut, but it's way better than the 60% more OC Detailing charges (I'd heard they were around $8K for a full wrap -- ouch!). Shawn (the owner) cares about customers. Case in point, I'd mentioned that I wanted my logos removed and reinstalled on top, but they cut around them (possibly some miscommunication); they're going to redo those two pieces and didn't even hesitate to offer. They also worked hard to correct the paint -- the $5K flat rate only included one-stage correction, but they did two-stage for a portion of the fender that had overspray (and where Tesla had apparently tried to wet-sand it). Unfortunately, there were still a couple of fisheyes that couldn't be fixed (and I'm not giving it back to Tesla for that).

They also don't up-sell. Flat price was $5K. I asked about what they thought about ceramic coating, and he didn't really feel like it was all that the other detailers claim it is. He said there were still concerns that it might interfere the self-healing layer.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Obviously, time will tell how the quality of the install was. I have a few spots peeling up, so we'll see how they address those. They're mainly on the driver's rocker panel, mirror edges, and door handles. The underside of the hood needs some work, too, but that's a tough spot.

• Like x 1
  20. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

Marusan, I don't think full ceramic is a good idea on PPF as well because PPF is too soft and true ceramic coating forms a glass layer which is rigid. If all you want is slick surface and easy to clean please try out CarGuys Liquid Wax. It is very easy to apply and nothing sticks to it.