Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF Bay Area glass & windshield replacement experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mblakele

FSD Beta (99)
Mar 7, 2016
SF Bay Area
Recently I had to replace the windshield of my Model 3. I'll share my experience here, and hope that this thread helps others around the SF area. Summary: it was a waste of time to talk to Safelite or Tesla about glass repair.

First my insurance (USAA) referred me to Safelite. They said they couldn't get the Model 3 windshield - sorry! Calling various Tesla SCs, and the new SJ body shop, resulted in a bunch of referrals to third-party glass shops. But they didn't seem to want the work: they'd quote a ridiculous price, or they'd quote 4-6 weeks, or they'd refuse to quote at all.

By this time I was tired of wasting time, but I still had to replace the windshield. I listed out the highest-rated business in Yelp's auto glass category, then searched their reviews for mentions of Tesla that weren't obviously problematic. This got me a few quotes.

In the end I picked a quote that was a little more expensive than the cheapest, but with a 1-2 week ETA. That came through, and the next day their mobile crew came to me and replaced the windshield. They advised me that the cameras might need recalibration, but Autopilot worked immediately the next time I drove the car. I may still ask Tesla support if there's any reason to recalibrate, but so far it seems fine.

Here's the shop I used: https://www.yelp.com/biz/king-of-auto-glass-oakland-2 — I hope I won't need them again, but if I do they'll be my first call.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about folks waiting weeks or months for glass work. Maybe those are exaggerated, or maybe I got lucky. But I think it's worth considering options other than the shops Tesla recommends. FWIW I had a similar experience with Tesla-recommended electricians.

If you're in the SF Bay Area, what's your glass repair story?

We have seen a lot of imperfections in the glass. Once the glass is repaired or replaced we install ExoShield by Alchemy. ExoShield is 6 times more resistant to stone chips than a standard automotive glass. (it can prevent chips from most stones hitting your windshield as fast as 86 mph). ExoShield blocks out 99.9% of UV, which standard glass only blocks 60-70%, which is a nice bonus. TIP - if you are thinking of tinting your front windshield, you must tint prior to ExoShield installation. After installing ExoShield, we have yet to see any of our customers back with any imperfections.

We have seen a lot of imperfections in the glass. Once the glass is repaired or replaced we install ExoShield by Alchemy. ExoShield is 6 times more resistant to stone chips than a standard automotive glass. (it can prevent chips from most stones hitting your windshield as fast as 86 mph). ExoShield blocks out 99.9% of UV, which standard glass only blocks 60-70%, which is a nice bonus. TIP - if you are thinking of tinting your front windshield, you must tint prior to ExoShield installation. After installing ExoShield, we have yet to see any of our customers back with any imperfections.

Tesla doesn't use "standard" glass, they use automotive glass with a layer of plastic between two pieces of glass that blocks 99% of the UV rays.

Ya know, I get more glass chips on this car than any I've owned (all in Az). I postponed 2 already and took the fix route, but the surface in general looks like it went through earth's reentry with hundreds of tiny pits.

Could this be because of the 2 layers vs "standard"?

Oh, is this why 3rd parties aren't making Model 3 windshields?
Or are they, yet?

My replacement had Tesla markings, and seemed to come directly from Tesla. I think multi-layer glass is fairly standard for high-end cars these days.

Less standard are the size and shape of the windshield, and the receiver for the camera housing. Third parties may be tooling up to make their own version, or they may be waiting to see how the market shapes up.

Ya know, I get more glass chips on this car than any I've owned (all in Az). I postponed 2 already and took the fix route, but the surface in general looks like it went through earth's reentry with hundreds of tiny pits.

Could this be because of the 2 layers vs "standard"?

I'd think it's more to do with aerodynamics.

Or maybe this car seems faster than my other cars...

I looked at Exoshield, these coating industries seem like they have huge margins. It's a piece of plastic nano whatever. Is it really that expensive to make a sticker? But the idea seems solid.

Is there something I can apply, or maybe even a rub-on coating?

More info! Tesla service just told me that the Model 3 does not require camera calibration procedure. Only this model is self-calibrating. Problem is, it's 2-weeks to order it - zero inventory (which is good in keeping things lean).

At this point, I'm seeking the inventory locally, got a few leads...

For a data point, quote from Tesla in Az for the whole job was $996, out of pocket, "they don't deal with any insurance."

People have said good things in the FB Group "SF Bay Area Tesla Model 3 Owners" about Primer Auto Glass.

FB Primer Auto Glass.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele