Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF Bay Area Independent Tesla Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Any one know of independent Tesla service shops in the SF bay area? I have two error codes displaying and no regen braking.

BMS_u008 and BMS_w172

Attachments

• 20220506_174311.jpg
    20220506_174311.jpg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 302
Try Argonaut Garage in Berkeley or Luscious Garage in San Francisco.
Not sure how technical those independent shops get into a Tesla but they do work on Teslas.

This is a problem with buying from a “no dealership” brand.

I don't think you'll be able to get that fixed anywhere except Tesla. Here is a thread with similar codes:

Battery coolant, front drive unit, maybe pyro fuses or contactors. Pretty much no independent shop will be able to handle stuff like that.

I don't think you'll be able to get that fixed anywhere except Tesla. Here is a thread with similar codes:

Battery coolant, front drive unit, maybe pyro fuses or contactors. Pretty much no independent shop will be able to handle stuff like that.
Thx!

you dont see independent repair shops because removing the battery, replacing an ac compressor or a drive unit is risky business especially if you make a mistake and you gotta eat a drive motor or battery ..where are you going get parts ? tires and suspension work can be done at a local tire shop.. just take a look at gruber motors.no independent guy can afford a shop like that in the bay area

I think a lot of parts are now available nationwide via eBay. Irks me to pay 3000k for a master charging unit when all that is needed are fuses inside the box. Tesla policy is to not open the unit to replace fuses. The fuses are there for a reason (to protect the unit) but the only thing broken is Tesla's policy. Would love to get an independent shop to take out the unit so I could replace the fuses.

It's gotta be the same as any repair shop. It's not like a mechanic is more likely to damage a drive unit when plugging it in any more than they are a transmission in an ICE vehicle. The only diff is that there are not the same level of manuals about troubleshooting Teslas that there are for engines and transmissions in traditional cars. I have watched my mechanic and he does paint by numbers repairs straight outta the manual. Only diff is that he's been doing it for 20 years, any EV mechanic has a year or two under their belt. Our I-Miev could only be repaired on the days that the ONE Mitsubishi mechanic that worked on them was in town, and he'd go to all the dealerships and then hit the road for another state.

The downside of getting into EVs in the early days. As they say, you can always tell a pioneer by the arrows in their back.