Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF Bay Area Residents - Are You Really Saving Money vs Gas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have a pool that requires the pump be run during the day on higher RPMs to run the water through the solar panels.
I'm currently signed up with PG&E's E-1 Tiered Rate schedule, which is ridiculously expensive compared to pretty much everywhere in the country ($0.24 - $0.52 kWh). Due to the AC and pool, I get fairly close to getting bumped into Tier 3 during the summer.

If I now start charging the Model 3 at home, I'll definitely get pushed into Tier 3 pricing, which will substantially increase our electricity costs. I looked at the Home Charging EV2-A schedule, and while it would provide cheaper rates while charging the car ($0.17 kWh),
it will dramatically increase the costs of electricity during the times I'll be running the AC and pool pump ($0.48 kWh).
Given this, it seems like it will potentially cost more in electricity to have my Model 3 than I would spend on gas.
I wonder if you could install some batteries to run your pump during peak hours instead of using the grid,
and recharge your battery and run the pump as well as charging your car during off peak hours using the grid?

I have ToU and I calculated that running appliances, such as a refrigerator and freezer, using batteries during peak hours
and then charging the batteries and running the appliances using the grid during off peak, with an estimated 80% deficiency
for the AC-DC batteries charging and DC-AC conversion, I would save 40% of electricity cost compared to not having batteries.

Hi, I am interested in this, but is it even doable and legal? How to ask PGE do this for you?
I live in a single family house.

i think first you need to engage an electrician that can install the 2nd meter for you. i don't think there's any issue of legality, unless you started running other appliances besides the EVSE off the 2nd meter. whether or not it is doable depends on the situation at your house, which is why an electrician is needed.

We didn't have an EV when we were in the Bay Area, but we did move like you and recently installed Tesla Energy solar without Powerwall ideally selling back at a portion of summer peak rates (37.4¢/kWh) to then buy back at night at electric vehicle rates (4.6¢/kWh) getting roughly 7kWh for each 1kWh sent. And the "winter" rates are cheaper than the standard 9¢/kWh too. Overall, yeah being able to charge at 9¢/kWh is great and charging at half that is even better!

NV Energy

But with PG&E, it looks like peak hours extend pretty late, so getting Powerwalls is practically required.
That's great info. I hope you are factoring in the long term cost of buying or leasing the solar panels because you know that it is costing much more than 4.6 cents to charge the Tesla at night. Still, always nice to use the sun :)

Both Gasoline and Electricity is expensive in San Francisco.

Most efficient would be to add Solar panels to your roof, and perhaps get some battery storage.

You could charge your batteries with the solar, then use that power to run your pump/filter during the day and charge your car at night.

Believe running your pool is more of an issue with your high energy bills than the Tesla.

Electricity companies have recently regiggered their rates to take benefits away from Solar owners. Batteries seem to be the counter measure.