TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

SF Bay Area shelter in place

Discussion in 'Model Y: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by leodoggie, Mar 16, 2020.

1. leodoggie

leodoggie Member

Six Bay Area counties including Alameda is going to shelter in place starting 12:00 am Tuesday, this may mean the Tesla factory in Fremont may have to shut down for a few weeks.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. mgraff

mgraff Member

• Informative x 1
  3. sharks19

sharks19 Member

4. Wilber

Wilber Member

I just read two articles at Electrek about this. Guess it is possible Tesla got some exemption, but i am sure we will know tomorrow, because if no exemption, the sheriff will shut the place down. What is concerning is that Elon apparently has not been paying attention to the California health experts on this, and Elon thinks the threat is about same as seasonal flu. I think he is way off! A smart guy who does amazing things, but he has been known to make a mistake now and then, and this is one of them.

• Like x 1
  5. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

its hard to consider 'building cars' as essential.

please, elon, shut the damned thing down. PEOPLE work there.

there's time for profit LATER.

people always come first.

• Like x 3
  6. sharks19

sharks19 Member

7. leodoggie

leodoggie Member

In purely scientific terms keeping the factory open is totally illogical. There is empirical data from around the world that tells us that if we don’t act now to stop the spread of the virus we could have up to a million cases in a month. Our health care system will be overwhelmed and the number deaths will be devastating.
    I have been waiting for a model y, I can wait some more.

• Like x 6
  8. Lozzy

Lozzy Member

I absolutely agree, I can wait on a car. Its ready a year before I thought it would be anyway

• Like x 4
  9. Tj323

Tj323 Member

Also remember they support & supply solar power/energy. This is the real reason they are tagged as a ‘essential business’
    Thanks !

• Like x 1
  10. linux-works

that doesn't really help; there is still going to be an unsaid but noticed check-mark next to their names, depending on whether they go to work or stay home.

that's the point of a WHOLE shutdown. you don't make people have to decide between the appearance (and keeping their job) vs their safety. putting people in that spot is unfair, cruel and outside the ethical realm of TESLA (dammit).

be a human friggin being, elon. send everyone home. business CAN WAIT. we dont want to lose our humanity over a few weeks (maybe longer). things are just things. we can make more 'things' when we want.

everyone is going thru this. don't try to 'optimize' this. just be a human friggin being, elon.

that's all.

• Like x 1
  11. jwuwu

jwuwu Member

The Alameda County Sheriff just announced that Tesla is not an "essential" business. Pretty sure they'll have to shut down production now.

Alameda County Sheriff Twitter

• Like x 1
  12. linux-works

ok. that's better.

any other problems you guys want me to handle?

lol

• Funny x 2
  13. Tholland

Tholland Member

Yup so that’s going to hold production up for at least 3 weeks if not longer if this virus continues on it path.

14. Tholland

Tholland Member

However they may be able to move existing inventory around and continue but no new cars will be produced or it will be very very very small amounts.

15. smcginnis

smcginnis Travel in the time of Covid

I guess selling shares for all that extra cash will turn out to have been a good move. The Order allows Tesla to continue administrative and HR functions as long as they maintain “social distancing.” Watch for a flood of activity when the lockdown ends on April 7th (unless the Order is extended).

16. linux-works

social distancing. its a frequently talked about subject, these days. practice social distancing, they say.

I'm a geek, working in tech. I don't have to practice social distancing. I'm an expert at it.

;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. Shark2222

Shark2222 Member

I thought social distancing and being anti social were one in the same :)

18. Rx8282

Rx8282 Member

I totally get the shutdown of the factory, but what would happen to the appraisal on my trade in? It’s only good for 30 days....

19. greenboy

greenboy Member

I am Tesla fan boy and a casual Elon admirer. I have shrugged off Elon’s prior odd behavior as just a genius being eccentric. Tesla’s and Elon’s response to coronavirus is a tipping point for me in how I think of Elon. It also makes me feel less enthusiastic about the company and the brand. I am still a fan boy due to the mission and the product. But Tesla has to think of itself as a Fortune 500 company with responsibility towards its stakeholders and not as company struggling to survive.

• Like x 1
  20. Escape1

Escape1 Member

This is why no one built car factories in the Bay Area. The cost of prolonged shut down in Fremont is significantly higher than Michigan.