Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF Bay Area to Bend, OR -- SC suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Later this month, I'm taking my first trip this year. I've been responsibly sheltering in place, even though a lot has been opening. I'm annoyed everyone is going out while I'm being dumb and just playing it safe. Well, I'm going to go play it safe where I can go on long hikes with my dog.

I'm leaving from Berkeley, CA to Sunriver, OR. I used to visit Bend and Eugene (family) quite often, but always had an ICE. I loved stopping in Redding for food, and then Shasta to go on a hike before continuing on. But now I was hoping to find some Superchargers that would be good for the dog. Near a place where I could play fetch, go on a hike, or walk around. I know most of these SC are in plazas, shopping areas... but just in case, I'd love to see if any are closer to parks or hikes.

If you have any favorites on the route, please let me know!

Here's what ABRP has for me:
A Better Routeplanner

Finding good hikes near superchargers sounds challenging. Both Shasta SCs are very close to the freeway, for example. Might be worth putting an app like AllTrails on your phone, if you don't have one already.

Looking at your route plan, I'd try to make the extra 18-mi to Red Bluff for your first stop, instead of Corning. Not for hiking, but because Red Bluff is newer (V3) and has 8 stalls, vs 6 older stalls in Corning.

Reactions: noshadow
Finding good hikes near superchargers sounds challenging. Both Shasta SCs are very close to the freeway, for example. Might be worth putting an app like AllTrails on your phone, if you don't have one already.

Looking at your route plan, I'd try to make the extra 18-mi to Red Bluff for your first stop, instead of Corning. Not for hiking, but because Red Bluff is newer (V3) and has 8 stalls, vs 6 older stalls in Corning.

I guess I won't have too many hike options. Maybe I can find a big open field near one that I can walk to at least.

Thank you for the tip on Red Bluff! I'll make that one a preferred stop.

Reactions: noshadow
Just checked the Mt Shasta one. There's a small grassy area right next to the superchargers. And there seems to be some other grassy areas nearby, might be good for playing frisbee/fetch with a dog!

It'll be a fun scouting trip I guess ;)

Last time I drove my CA car to Oregon it was vandalized owing to the CA plates. Makes sure you take them off if you’re going to park it in public.

My car has been vandalized in CA with CA plates too, but never in Oregon with CA plates.

Are you saying it's always the case that there are lot of vandals in Oregon that hate CA plates? Or just that one incident you had?

Just an update, we went on this trip and it was very successful. Here's the observations:

1. There are zero hiking trails anywhere close to these SC
2. It's not really a problem, walking the dog around sniffing everything was good enough
3. Charging times are so short, that it's impossible to go on a hike and not have idling fees and angry people waiting
4. Mt Shasta and Red Bluff were great places to stop

Reactions: bmah
Just an update, we went on this trip and it was very successful. Here's the observations:

1. There are zero hiking trails anywhere close to these SC
2. It's not really a problem, walking the dog around sniffing everything was good enough
3. Charging times are so short, that it's impossible to go on a hike and not have idling fees and angry people waiting
4. Mt Shasta and Red Bluff were great places to stop
How was your actual consumption compared with what you expected? Coming from SF, I would like to make it to Red Bluff instead of Corning, but not if I'm going to be close to 10% juice left.

How was your actual consumption compared with what you expected? Coming from SF, I would like to make it to Red Bluff instead of Corning, but not if I'm going to be close to 10% juice left.

It was right on the money with ABRP. Red Bluff was pretty easy. I went to the Richmond (Pacific East Mall) supercharger and topped off to 100% and I had at least 20% when I got to Red Bluff.