Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF bay area to Tahoe without stopping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Has anyone made it up from the Bay Area to Tahoe without having to charge? Driving >55mph?
Specifically, I am traveling 176 miles from the east bay to Truckee.
I'm considering a performance AWD, however, this would be the prerequisite for the next Tesla, we have spent wayyyy too much time in Rocklin.
Thanks.

If it were a reverse trip (Tahoe to East Bay) then I would say it's probable. You know, going mostly downhill. If ABRP says you need a quick stop along the way to guarantee a 10% surplus, I'd wouldn't attempt the drive without a stop somewhere.

A good rule of thumb is that it takes an extra 1.5 kwh to climb 1000 ft. That's about 6 extra miles. Climbing 6000 ft to Tahoe will take 36 more miles. You'll get a lot of it back if you go down but you don't want to climb big mountains just before your destination with a low battery. 176 miles is usually an easy trip. adding 40 or so for the net climb would require 216 which should still be okay with a 100% charge and ample reserve. EVtripplanner accounts for all the hills on the route but I'm not sure the Tesla car nav does.

Yeah, but you win back some of the potential energy going from Donner to Tahoe @ around 6,000 ft, smarty pants. :p
True, but only if you can make it through the pass. So, the real issue range wise is being able to climb 7000'. Did that trip a year ago for the first time and saw my range drop really quickly on the way up, to the point where I turned down the heat and slowed down below 70.

Trip was much easier in the summer. (S85)

I’ve done it twice from the East Bay to Northstar. Once in the summer, started @ 100% and arrived with 75 miles left (approx 24%). Two weeks ago started at 95% and arrived with 51 miles left (approx 17%). Typical speeds were in the 65 to 75 range. Light traffic both times. Colder weather could affect the range.

I’ve done it twice from the East Bay to Northstar. Once in the summer, started @ 100% and arrived with 75 miles left (approx 24%). Two weeks ago started at 95% and arrived with 51 miles left (approx 17%). Typical speeds were in the 65 to 75 range. Light traffic both times. Colder weather could affect the range.

That is super encouraging. Northstar is actually a bit further than where I am. What iteration is your 3?

The RWD with Aeros will always beat the pants off other configurations. You'd have to still conserve and start with 100% charge. Even with some water on the road you would make it, as long as you didnt exceed 60 mph in the wet

If you run your P3D with some low rolling resistance all seasons you can get a lot better mileage, since I will assume you will swap out the P4S for something snow appropriate. If your tires can get down to 260 wh/mi at 65 you should make it in the dry. If it gets wet, you'd need to slow to 55 mph. I did my check at 260 wh/mi at 20 degrees.
I would say its totally possible during summer, but only possible at extreme conservation like 55-60 mph in the winter wet conditions.

I bought some really cheap all seasons, so will be able to tell more after a long road trip in them. I am getting close to 265 wh/mi on them so far at 65.

Yes, done it a few times to Truckee supercharger from Livermore. Starting at 301 or so and end at 50 miles left (summer and fall). Then decided to do a quick refill at Sacramento with a 15 minute coffee break and go all the way to Incline (to charge at the cabin). Aero wheels, rear drive only.