Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF Car Break Ins - Where To Park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not from SF, but will be visiting for a day soon. I'm concerned about the car break-ins I've been reading about. Does anyone have a recommendation for a safe place to park near the Embarcardero & Ferry Building area?

So basically you want the world to know where your out of town (stuff packed in) car will be parked?

If you are traveling and staying at a hotel in SF (or elsewhere in the area), I would check in first with all your luggage and take only carry things with you so you don't have to leave anything in the car. Anytime you park, leave your back seats down to show nothing is in the trunk area. Hopefully you don't have dark window tinting making it hard for the creeps to see in.

Better that you are already forewarned about the break in epidemic here so you at least aren't caught off guard like many unfortunate travelers to the area. Glass repairs aren't always easy to get done quickly and right now especially we are have some pretty heavy rain causing all kinds of issues.

Last edited:
Have you tried SpotHero.com? You can use filters to find lots that have on-site staff (not a guarantee of a secure facility but it's better than a lot with absolutely nobody around), as well places that have chargers.

You might be paying a few dollars more than if you drive up and pay normal rates but you're supposed to be guaranteed to have a spot.

I have been wondering what is better, large lots, garages, or street parking?
For me, it's: Garages > Large Lots > Street Parking

Most garages at the very least have a surveillance system which will deter thieves from attempting to break into your car. Large lots are well-lit and usually have a steady flow of traffic from people looking for parking or leaving the lot. Street parking is easy pickings for thieves to smash and grab, unless you find primo parking in a well-lit location with tons of foot traffic-- the Embarcadero/Ferry Building offer neither of those amenities.

The major issue isn't even the break-in. It's the months-long waiting to get your glass repaired due to insufficient supply. It's definitely played a factor in driving into the city and/or Oakland.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Curious if people thought a locking car cover might work? Pretty inconvenient, but if you're visiting SF you probably don't need your car too much.

Seems like creeps would first have to lift the cover to see what type of car it is, then cut the cover to expose the window, break the window, shine a light in ... all for a car which someone left probably left empty because their are storing it. Just seems like too much work when the creeps can walk 100 feet and find another Model 3.

Stupid idea?

I didn't know about the Golden Gateway Garage. Great tip.

Another option to consider... stay at the Marriott Courtyard in Larkspur. Walk 5 mins across the street to the ferry / shopping / restaurants. You'll be in SF in 30 mins and have a beautiful ride, and save money on your room rate.

I agree that the break-in epidemic is out of control, and it affects whether or not I want to go into the city. If I'm on the fence, we don't go. If it's a show, I park at the Civic Center Garage, which is where city leaders park so it's of course very safe. :):)