Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF sues oil companies because of climate change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
San Francisco and Oakland, Calif., are suing five major oil companies, blaming them for the effects of climate change.
The cities announced Wednesday they each filed a lawsuit in their respective county courts against Chevron Corp., ConocoPhillips Co., ExxonMobil Corp., Royal Dutch Shell and BP. The lawsuits by two of California’s largest cities add to an emerging legal strategy to try to hold individual fossil fuel companies responsible for rising sea levels, extreme weather and other effects of human-induced climate change.

San Francisco, Oakland sue oil companies over climate change

let's play a bit, let's say the oil companies are bankrupted by these types of lawsuits, they all go out of business just how do you think our oil based world would function? how would enough food be brought into the urban population centers or even up to your recluse on top of the mountain?

The tobacco companies settled for >$200B... did cigarettes go away? No... they passed the cost on to their customers and smoking rates fell. Which is exactly what needs to happen with fools fuel.

The tobacco companies settled for >$200B... did cigarettes go away? No... they passed the cost on to their customers and smoking rates fell. Which is exactly what needs to happen with fools fuel.
+1
penalize them heavily... some will go out of business. Some will increase the gas prices just to stay afloat. The more expensive oil fields will be closed. We will see a rapid shift to renewables.

In the end everyone will be come out alive and more prosperous. Short term pain for our civilization, long term gain.

Did anyone shed tears for those lost tobacco jobs?

This is stupid. What will happen is that lawyers will make a bunch of money and those of us in California will pay for both sides of the issue through taxes and higher gas prices.

If you're not buying fools fuel then you don't have much to worry about. But this is exactly why we need a carbon tax... less money to the lawyers.

Oil companies make a product that is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

Perhaps they should all cease doing business in all of those cities/states and close their stations!

Their products are designed to cause rising sea levels and stronger storms? WOW. This is gonna be an open and shut case.

Wouldn't the people to hold accountable be the individuals that burned the fossil fuels?

No one forced smokers to smoke. Yet the tobacco majors paid hundreds of billions. They manipulated the system and lied to consumers about the dangers of their product. Exactly like the oil companies.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the people to hold accountable be the individuals that burned the fossil fuels?

That's sort of the line of thinking I had also when I read this. I don't doubt that the refineries contribute to air pollution, but are they entirely responsible for global warming? IF this were even an argument, I'd think ICE manufacturers would be more responsible for pollution than the oil companies as its the spent gases of an engine, not the oil or gasoline/diesel itself, that is the contributor.

Still new to the forum so not sure what topics are taboo or not, but here it goes. Thinking a little farther - are people suing companies that mine lead that is eventually used in bullets for gun deaths? Or wait, polymer pistols are made from plastic, plastic is mostly derived from petroleum, therefore the oil companies are also responsible for gun deaths. Now I feel even better about buying a Tesla ;)

All crazy scenarios aside, I think as a society we're trying hard to get away from fossil fuels but its going to take time. I recently sold my "mildly-tuned" 490hp 2015 M3 that got 30+ mpg on the highway, which compared to a much earlier fun car, a 1970 Chevelle SS getting 10 mpg, is a huge improvement. Penalizing the oil companies with huge fines will only raise the price of everything else (by pushing down the cost of the fines to the consumer) and further lower the quality of life for those who can least afford it.

Reactions: RobertF