Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF to LA trip: "No route found to this location" when trip planner turned on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone has seen this before. I am located in SF area. If I try to navigate to a location in LA with the trip planner turned on, it churns for a while ("finding superchargers for your trip") then says "no route found to this location".
Yet if I turn off the trip planner, it will churn for a while ("calculating route") and properly route my trip. I tried a couple of different addresses in LA and all have the same issue.

Is the trip planner function somehow broken and not not able to route properly? Can someone in SF area try the same destination on their nav with trip planner enabled and see what happens?

Pics below:

Attachments

• 20180702_100807.jpg
    20180702_100807.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 20180702_100747.jpg
    20180702_100747.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 97
  • 20180702_100756.jpg
    20180702_100756.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20180702_100817.jpg
    20180702_100817.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20180702_100938.jpg
    20180702_100938.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 91
TL;DR: It worked for me.

Personally, the early experience that a number of people reported with the trip planner around multi-charging-stop trips led me to turn off the trip planner and only rely on the navigation system to get to the next Supercharger. I do the higher-level planning using something like EV Trip Optimizer or A Better Route Planner, and then just navigate to the "next" charging stop, so I can put up the energy graph to see my project energy usage. Actually between SF and LA, you almost don't need to do any planning at all, with two independent routes (I-5 and US-101), and enough density that you can skip chargers on either route if you want.

Anyway to directly answer your question, I just tried it now with your destination in Arcadia, and it routed me to Harris Ranch (6% reserve) and then Bakersfield. S85D with 2018.21.9, new nav, non-vector CID maps, 89% charge (probably equivalent to 235-240 RM). Personally, I like shorter driving legs, so I'd probably override that and do Santa Nella ("Gustine" in Tesla's naming), Kettleman City, then one of (Bakersfield, Buttonwillow, Tejon Ranch).

Bruce.

EDIT: My car and I were in my garage in Lafayette.

Reactions: xanatos
TL;DR: It worked for me.

Personally, the early experience that a number of people reported with the trip planner around multi-charging-stop trips led me to turn off the trip planner and only rely on the navigation system to get to the next Supercharger. I do the higher-level planning using something like EV Trip Optimizer or A Better Route Planner, and then just navigate to the "next" charging stop, so I can put up the energy graph to see my project energy usage. Actually between SF and LA, you almost don't need to do any planning at all, with two independent routes (I-5 and US-101), and enough density that you can skip chargers on either route if you want.

Anyway to directly answer your question, I just tried it now with your destination in Arcadia, and it routed me to Harris Ranch (6% reserve) and then Bakersfield. S85D with 2018.21.9, new nav, non-vector CID maps, 89% charge (probably equivalent to 235-240 RM). Personally, I like shorter driving legs, so I'd probably override that and do Santa Nella ("Gustine" in Tesla's naming), Kettleman City, then one of (Bakersfield, Buttonwillow, Tejon Ranch).

Bruce.

EDIT: My car and I were in my garage in Lafayette.
thanks, that was very helpful, at least now I know what the nav suggests!

I never had a problem until this year same thing sf area to so cal
Very annoying I am baffled fortunately I know all the super chargers along the way but I really liked knowing how long to be at one to optimize my trip
It also seems to have gotten worse from the. Last time I went in Jan