Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF to Tahoe - EvGo Didn't at Dutch Flat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday 1/25/23 Driver 2 stopped into EvGo charger in Dutch flat. After a long stressful attempt, the toll-free operator confirmed the charger didn't work at all, there are no others on site, so sorry you're SOL. Very very stressful.

This forum has generally nice comments about EvGo and is now flooded with posts about their free miles for Teslas, new system, etc. etc. etc. but my experience of 1 try was 100% fail. Another point is that it is completely unclear if you need the app or need to sign up or WTF never did figure that out.

Driver went back to auburn 20 minutes, stuck the Tesla charger into car with no regard for how, what order, etc. and it worked instantly. I have a list of 200 Tesla complaints but even so, obviously I bought the right brand! Those poor schmucks that bought non-Teslas... I feel for them.

-TPC

Reactions: Jpandes
You can really help by posting this to Plugshare.com or the app, this helps the EV community understand what is going on at potential places to charge. Instead of getting burned, check with Plugshare before you arrive. Even includes info like which chargers are open, just like Tesla shows for theirs.

What posts are you referring to about "free miles for Teslas"?

You can really help by posting this to Plugshare.com or the app, this helps the EV community understand what is going on at potential places to charge. Instead of getting burned, check with Plugshare before you arrive. Even includes info like which chargers are open, just like Tesla shows for theirs.

What posts are you referring to about "free miles for Teslas"?
I didn't know about plugshare...everyone told me to look at abetterreouteplanner.com. Or so it seemed.

If you search on EvGo either on this site or on the web, you will find offers for free miles for Tesla owners. (On the web, probably their ad software sees cookies all over our computer or can look in browser history or "referreal page" for something about tesla, then serves it up to us. )

Actually, it's on their home page, and it does say free miles for Tesla drivers: EVgo | Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations - EV Fast Chargers

Enjoy, and good luck with them!

-TPC

Dear israndy: sorry, I've never known about them before this conversation.

So, do I understand correctly...
STEP 1: If there are lots of superchargers where you want them, just use the Tesla screen, stop here.
STEP 2: If you want to use non-Tesla chargers, then plan your route with abetterrouteplanner.com, then...
STEP 3: Check on plugshare.com to see if they are actually working
STEP 4: re-route based on plugshare.

Is that about right?

I just checked on plugshare.com, and a for certain charger I am interested in they gave details on connector, but no other information, including rated or actual power delivered. The last "checkin" was in Nov, and they said it was working, that's about it.

The same charger simply didn't show up on abetterrouteplanner.com at all. So, can I draw the conclusions that

ABRP - for planning and hiway charging
Plugshare- for exhaustive lists of chargers with a little info, but no regular/live updates

Is that also about right?

Thanks,

-TPC

Yeah, but i might reverse Plugshare and ABRP, no easy way to find free chargers in ABRP. i'll add the free DC Fast chargers and my other destinations and let ABRP do the routing. i also use a mapquest app sometimes that does sorting of up to 31 destinations into the shortest route, something i wish ABRP could do

I didn't know about plugshare...everyone told me to look at abetterreouteplanner.com. Or so it seemed.

If you search on EvGo either on this site or on the web, you will find offers for free miles for Tesla owners. (On the web, probably their ad software sees cookies all over our computer or can look in browser history or "referreal page" for something about tesla, then serves it up to us. )

Actually, it's on their home page, and it does say free miles for Tesla drivers: EVgo | Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations - EV Fast Chargers

Enjoy, and good luck with them!

-TPC

Are you sure it's free miles for Tesla owners?

I'm seeing no session fees or monthly fees but you still have to pay for electricity.

Access high-power charging with EVgo and receive free charger reservations, no session fees, and a $6.99 monthly fee waived until the trial ends.*

*Trial offer only waives subscription fee of $6.99 per month for the EVgo Plus plan. Individual charging costs will continue during trial period.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy