Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF to Tahoe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No direct experience, but I just tried using ABRP (A Better Route Planner) web interface and used San Francisco as starting point and Tahoe as destination, and it suggests if you start with 90% charge and make a 5 min supercharging stop in Rocklin, you will arrive in Tahoe with 10% battery. Personally I'd probably spend a bit longer in Rocklin, but this may give you a general idea anyway.

Here's the route: A Better Routeplanner

I've done this trip a number of times and the simple answer is: depends on the weather. Summer time you can go non-stop (though you might freak out going up the grade because the range will degrade quickly, but you'll get some of it back on the way down). During the winter, definitely stop at the Roseville or Rocklin Supercharger. You don't want to get stuck going over the hill in snow with low range.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
It's just not worth the anxiety, in my opinion. You can probably hypermile by keeping your speed below 65 mph, making sure your tires are in the mid-40s, reducing cargo, and timing for light traffic conditions, and make it to the Truckee Supercharger without stopping. Or you could pull off in Roseville or Rocklin, plug in for 20 minutes, use the head, stretch your legs, and not have to worry about any of those things.

It's just not worth the anxiety, in my opinion. You can probably hypermile by keeping your speed below 65 mph, making sure your tires are in the mid-40s, reducing cargo, and timing for light traffic conditions, and make it to the Truckee Supercharger without stopping. Or you could pull off in Roseville or Rocklin, plug in for 20 minutes, use the head, stretch your legs, and not have to worry about any of those things.

This. I don’t see how my bladder would make the trip non-stop. Might as well stop at a supercharger, use the loo, and maybe grab a breakfast sandwich at the Starbucks while charging.

Thanks for the insights! I drove up yesterday with the family in our Toyota Sienna from Oakland and inadvertently made a pit stop in Rocklin across the highway from the Tesla superchargers. I guess having to stop to charge at the same point of the journey wouldn’t be so bad.

Thanks for the insights! I drove up yesterday with the family in our Toyota Sienna from Oakland and inadvertently made a pit stop in Rocklin across the highway from the Tesla superchargers. I guess having to stop to charge at the same point of the journey wouldn’t be so bad.

It's not. In the 3, it's less than. 10mns stop in the summer. Should be a quick pit stop in the Y.

After doing a long road trip to Bend, OR from Oakland area, I realized supercharger spots are not really annoying or a big deal at all.

I'm going to be taking the Y from Berkeley to Tahoe City quite often in the winter. I'm planning on stopping along the way for a good long charge so I can get to Tahoe with plenty of charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Can somebody do the math on how much the range going up the grade would improve if you filled the cabin with helium? Asking for a friend.
Actually.. let's give this a stab.

Lifting a model Y to 2151m altitude of Donner Pass creates 42.2MJ or 11.7kWh of potential energy. Obviously the conversion won't be 100% efficient. Curious if someone can share some specifics here on how much more range a trip to Tahoe consumes vs an equivalent length drive on flat ground? Luckily, we don't need to know that for our purposes.

Filling the model Y with helium would produce roughly 2kg of lift (at sea level.. and pax breathe through a straw I guess?). *Not* lifting the 2kg would to Donner would save approx 0.0117 kWh or approximately 0.1% of the energy required to *up* the grade.

Too bad, I thought it would be a nice life hack. I'm assuming adding external helium balloons for additional lift would be counter-productive due to the additional drag losses. Will leave that as an exercise to the reader, though ;)

Reactions: Zorg