Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SFO Long Term Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I arrived at long term parking at SFO this morning hoping to park at 1 of the 4 110v outlets in the garage. What I discovered was 3 Volts and one Prius in the spots. Only 2 of the cars were hooked up to the outlets.

I had airport parking officials give me unofficial permission to park nearby and run a cord, but this doesn't guarantee I won't get a ticket. I'm gone for 6 days and need to make the drive home after the week of vampire loss so I really needed to be connected.

The airport is going to investigate why the spots are being used by non-charging vehicles. They shouldn't just be convenience spots for an EV even if not plugged in.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other parking locations for long term use at SFO?

(If this should be in the general charging forum please move it)

Thanks
Aaron

In case anyone doesn't know, they have a bunch of Chargepoint 30A (6.6kW) L2 EVSEs in the bottom level of the short term parking garage.
If you are willing to spend the extra $ to use that garage then you have better options. When I used them they were free to use, and there were so many that I always found at least one available. The short term parking is much closer to the terminal, so the only major consideration is the price difference.

There is no long term EV parking at all at San Jose airport. I called the airport administration and they have charging at Short Term parking at very high hourly rates, but I need to be gone 10 days. I can't take my Model S to the airport due to the cold nights we have been having. I hope Tesla helps to petition the airport to build some 110V recepticles in the long term lots.

Just parked at SkyPark off of the San Bruno exit next to SFO. They have a bank of Level 2 chargers included for the price of indoor parking. $19 a day with AAA. Not bad. I think SFO long term is $14 a day.

I think SFO long term is $14 a day.
Per Long-term Parking | www.flysfo.com, it is $18/day.

Back to the OP's question, Plug-in Electric Car Parking | www.flysfo.com mentiosn charging locations at SFO's official lots.

Have an upcoming trip involving SFO soon. I have no Model S but will likely take my Prius instead of my Leaf.

If I'm unable to charge anywhere while parked (I really only need L1 and on the last day), Leafing from work to SFO to home at night is ~85 miles almost all highways. Very bad idea. Leafing from work to SFO to work is ~75 miles (kinda on the way home anyway, to pick up some free L2 juice before going home) is doable if I go slow enough, but it will likely not be pleasant (will have to keep heater usage low or off).

I'll be parked for 4 days and kinda don't like hogging a spot for that long... and there's always the chance that all the charging spots are full or ICEd or something goes wrong w/the charging (e.g. breaker trips). I'm wary of leaving my stock L1 EVSE out either as it's not cheap to replace (~$600 to ~900).

This thread should probably be moved to the California area.

Last edited:
Yes, you can make a reservation. But there were plenty of chargers available. Also, it is valet only so maybe they move chargers around as cars get charged. I saw several Leafs and Volts getting charged.

They move the cars around. They will charge your car as much or as often as you ask.

This is actually the only place outside my house I've ever charged. (Tesla does it for me at dealerships, of course).