Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SFO parking EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

Anyone fly out of SFO and park there? They have a couple different parking options with varied number of EV stalls and I was wondering if you find there to be space or it’s always filled up. And do you do the long term garage vs the domestic garage. I am flying domestic for 3 full days(Fri at 5a to Sun at 10p). If you think this thread belongs somewhere else let me know, I didnt see a general charging thread for all teslas.

The last two times I parked at SFO (two weeks ago and late last year) there were a couple of open ChargePoint stations that I passed in the domestic garage. These were for pickups and not because I was the one traveling. It's first-come-first-served and could fill up fast seeing the amount of Teslas that I saw in the lot. I did plug in for about 20 minutes last year and got 5-6 miles and did it mostly for checking out the experience and not because I needed the mileage. I used my ChargePoint RFID tag as usual. If you do plan on charging there, make sure you bring your J1772 adapter.

If your trip is several weeks out I would visit the ChargePoint site you referenced on the day and time you are planning to be there (Fri @ 5am) and see what the map indicates as open stations.

The last two times I parked at SFO (two weeks ago and late last year) there were a couple of open ChargePoint stations that I passed in the domestic garage. These were for pickups and not because I was the one traveling. It's first-come-first-served and could fill up fast seeing the amount of Teslas that I saw in the lot. I did plug in for about 20 minutes last year and got 5-6 miles and did it mostly for checking out the experience and not because I needed the mileage. I used my ChargePoint RFID tag as usual. If you do plan on charging there, make sure you bring your J1772 adapter.

If your trip is several weeks out I would visit the ChargePoint site you referenced on the day and time you are planning to be there (Fri @ 5am) and see what the map indicates as open stations.
Do you know anything about the level one charger locations? I don’t need it to be a level 2 since my drive is pretty short to and from the airport, and I’ll have sentry mode on so I just need something to keep it juiced up.

No. I did not notice any L1 charging. My assumption would be that they are located near the ChargePoint stations since the one I used was mounted near a wall about two aisles from the elevators. Note that any L1 charging would leave your UMC exposed to tampering. Probably not outright theft as the charging handle should be locked in place on your car. I'm talking about somebody coming by to unplug yours because they need the outlet for themselves. The ChargePoint handle can be locked to your J1772 adapter if you get one of those locking rings that abound on eBay. I've got two such locks as there are two different J1722 adapter designs.

Do you know anything about the level one charger locations? I don’t need it to be a level 2 since my drive is pretty short to and from the airport, and I’ll have sentry mode on so I just need something to keep it juiced up.
The L1 chargers are in the long term garage (the old structure not the new one), right by the elevators on each level. They are 5-20 outlets so if you have the NEMA 5-20 adapter that works with your UMC, you can use that and get an extra 5A. I kept the car in Sentry Mode while I was away and then charged to 90% right before I returned. Worked pretty well. The new long term parking structure has many chargepoints (bring your J1772 adapter). I've yet to use those though.