Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SGIP ER Well battery program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If one qualified for batteries under the SGIP ER Well criteria, can one install them on ones home rather than a well and still get ones money
to pay for these from SGIP?
To receive the equity and resilience SGIP incentive for battery storage you have to meet the criteria. Live in a wildfire zone 2 or 3, have had at least 2 PSPS and be on a well for your water. This will give you up to $1000 per kWh, so if you do 2 Powerwalls you can get $26,400. It is a very complicated procedure and you need a company that has the experience of filing for this incentive.

To receive the equity and resilience SGIP incentive for battery storage you have to meet the criteria. Live in a wildfire zone 2 or 3, have had at least 2 PSPS and be on a well for your water. This will give you up to $1000 per kWh, so if you do 2 Powerwalls you can get $26,400. It is a very complicated procedure and you need a company that has the experience of filing for this incentive.
Yea, I know all that. The question is if one got the grant for the well criteria, do they come out and verify you actually installed them at the well? Or can you put them on the house, tell them you did the well, and they believe you? I thought I read a post where the person said someone came out and checked they were all installed on the well and took pictures to prove it, and I assume then show they cannot move them after?

Yea, I know all that. The question is if one got the grant for the well criteria, do they come out and verify you actually installed them at the well? Or can you put them on the house, tell them you did the well, and they believe you? I thought I read a post where the person said someone came out and checked they were all installed on the well and took pictures to prove it, and I assume then show they cannot move them after?
Not sure why you would just have the well backed up, to me the have a well is just one of the criteria for qualifying for the incentive.

Not sure why you would just have the well backed up, to me the have a well is just one of the criteria for qualifying for the incentive.
Thats the question. I assume 2 pw's are needed for a well because of start up current. So if you had them any where else, had not much energy in them, had a fire, the well does not work, then what good was the program.. Again do not know the answer which is why I am asking.

The batteries power the residence. The well qualifies the residence for the SGIP ER incentive. Whether you do a whole or partial home backup is dependent on the specifics of your installation but the well needs to be on the panel that is backed up.

They kind of discussed this in the most recent SGIP webinar.

Someone asked if SGIP funds could be used for resiliency if the well pump wasn't actually located on the backup loads panel (aka critical loads panel). Examples were given that some homes have two meters or two panels; where the home and well pump may not be together. So backing up the "home" was not also backing up the well pump.

The SGIP people said that claiming the incentive but not backing up the well pump would be against the spirit of the program. But they acknowledged there really wasn't a way for them to tell since they're not asking for line diagrams in the SGIP application. They asked installers/contractors who are helping affected homeowners to claim the $1.00 per kW credit to ensure that well water pumps were indeed the only source of water and for the pumps to be backed up.

I asked if the cost of relocating the breaker for the well pump onto the critical loads panel would be paid by SGIP funds, and they said yes. Apparently on resiliency SGIP applications, it's possible to add costs in addition to the kW ESS storage. This way if a homeowner is low income and an electrician has to relocate the pump to the critical loads panel, that could would be covered under the SGIP.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
They kind of discussed this in the most recent SGIP webinar.

Someone asked if SGIP funds could be used for resiliency if the well pump wasn't actually located on the backup loads panel (aka critical loads panel). Examples were given that some homes have two meters or two panels; where the home and well pump may not be together. So backing up the "home" was not also backing up the well pump.

The SGIP people said that claiming the incentive but not backing up the well pump would be against the spirit of the program. But they acknowledged there really wasn't a way for them to tell since they're not asking for line diagrams in the SGIP application. They asked installers/contractors who are helping affected homeowners to claim the $1.00 per kW credit to ensure that well water pumps were indeed the only source of water and for the pumps to be backed up.

I asked if the cost of relocating the breaker for the well pump onto the critical loads panel would be paid by SGIP funds, and they said yes. Apparently on resiliency SGIP applications, it's possible to add costs in addition to the kW ESS storage. This way if a homeowner is low income and an electrician has to relocate the pump to the critical loads panel, that could would be covered under the SGIP.
Yep, the spirit of the program

Yeah the spirit of the large scale program was meant to help homeowners put in batteries so they could lessen the burden on the grid during peak times.

But then they said in my case I was just SOL since Greenbutton data yadda yadda. They couldn't help me at all even though the spirit of the program obviously was going to cause me significant monetary harm since I was relying on the funds for the 3rd Powerwall (at $0.25 and $0.125 per kW instead of $1.00 per kW)

Hypocrites.

Yeah the spirit of the large scale program was meant to help homeowners put in batteries so they could lessen the burden on the grid during peak times.

But then they said in my case I was just SOL since Greenbutton data yadda yadda. They couldn't help me at all even though the spirit of the program obviously was going to cause me significant monetary harm since I was relying on the funds for the 3rd Powerwall (at $0.25 and $0.125 per kW instead of $1.00 per kW)

Hypocrites.
bureaucracy