Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SGIP Rebate Extension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience obtaining an extension to finalize an SGIP reservation?

Long story is that we ordered a Powerwall system from Tesla in Feb. 2020, the project was supposed to be finished in Sept. 2020, but the system was defectively designed and installed, and failed inspection from the county. Tesla was supposed to go back and correct the construction defects, but determined that more Powerwalls were needed to correct brown-outs we were experiencing, and demanded that we agree to pay another $13,000 to do so. We don't have the budget to pay Tesla to correct their defects, so the project has remained in limbo for 6+ months now and our SGIP rebate is set to expire in 3 weeks - we qualified for (and have a reservation under) the equity resiliency program, so the entire cost of the system would have been covered by state and federal incentives.

Not really sure what to do here since we can't obtain PTO without the permits passing inspection, and we need additional electrical work and corrected permits, which Tesla allowed to expire.

Reactions: racerex
It’s easy peasy - just email the program coordinator at the utility you’re working with ([email protected] if it’s PG&E) and request an extension along with some basic details as to why. The first 6 month extension is practically automatic and they’re handing out LOTS of them right now due to Covid and powerwall supply chain issues.

PG&E responded to my request and approved the same day.

75D72B74-E29B-40F2-A4CE-C841213EAEDC.jpeg

I just had my $50K solar system installed and when I asked Tesla (after jumping through several hoops to get a phone number), they guy on the other end told me that Tesla is no longer participating in the project because they have from 800 - 1,000 outstanding applications that they haven't gotten to yet. Yes - that's right - a $1 trillion company is complaining that they have to fill out 1,000 forms for their customers. This process with Tesla sucks! They said that I could try to use a "third party" to help me apply for the rebate, but when I asked who that might be, they had no answer. Does anyone know what Tesla's Developer Key is so I can attempt to fill out the form myself?

I just had my $50K solar system installed and when I asked Tesla (after jumping through several hoops to get a phone number), they guy on the other end told me that Tesla is no longer participating in the project because they have from 800 - 1,000 outstanding applications that they haven't gotten to yet. Yes - that's right - a $1 trillion company is complaining that they have to fill out 1,000 forms for their customers. This process with Tesla sucks! They said that I could try to use a "third party" to help me apply for the rebate, but when I asked who that might be, they had no answer. Does anyone know what Tesla's Developer Key is so I can attempt to fill out the form myself?

Maybe I'm not understanding this right... are you're saying that...
1) Tesla is your contracted installer whereby Tesla processing the SGIP was clearly discussed/disclosed at the time of purchase
2) I am assuming you were participating in part through the SGIP Equity Resiliency program without being low-income (Also, that you are not expecting small-scale residential or large-scale residential.)
3) Tesla or their authorized agent installed your $50,000 system (cost before any federal and state incentives)
4) That you've paid tesla $50,000
5) After they received your money, they told you in writing or via a phone call that they won't be able to help you to process the SGIP rebate defined in Item #1?

I am a Sunrun customer; not Tesla Energy. I obtained my own SGIP developer key with the intention to obtaining the large-scale residential incentive on my own. My rationale is that Sunrun was the installer but I had to involve myself very closely with my project. I was the PM who was involved in the installation end-to-end. For example, I had to obtain permits, design the system (thanks to @Vines and @wwhitney), obtaining PoCo approval, schedule crews/inspections, and also did some QA work that they missed. I claimed that I was actually the developer of this system, and Sunrun only acted in part to install things and work under my direction.

Even with my way-too-involved participation in this, SGIP required that the original authorized/licensed installer to be the one to also submit the SGIP application. They refused to allow me to give it a go as the Developer under my own key no matter how responsible I was simply because Sunrun was involved. So, extrapolating my experience with Sunrun to your situation with Tesla, you should not expect the SGIP administrators to allow you to utilize your own or utilize a 3rd party to obtain an Equity Resiliency SGIP. To make matters worse, I believe most equity resiliency, small-scale, and large-scale residential programs are now exhausted of funds; making applications now a lost cause unless California lawmakers replenish the SGIP program with more funding.

One major thing you should consider is that the SGIP process requires a "reservation" to actually get in line. An installation can get in line months before it is actually constructed/finished. But, the SGIP funds are basically exhausted now, and getting reserved today likely means you wouldn't get funds. It's a hairy situation for you, especially since it seems you were led to believe you not only had a place in line, but that Tesla would help you execute the paperwork to actually get the funds now that the system in installed.

If Tesla disclosed they would do the SGIP in my Item #1 above, then they have a contractual requirement to perform. If it was only a verbal "maybe" with no signed/express disclosures on Tesla doing SGIP, then you may be facing a difficult battle unless you can find emails/texts/transcript to clearly identify you expected Tesla to do the SGIP for you or else you wouldn't have signed the contract. Either way, getting Tesla to do something is a luck-of-the-draw experience. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Do you already have a confirmed SGIP reservation? If not, that train has left the station. Tesla isn't gonna be able to help you with that.

Reactions: h2ofun
Does anyone have experience obtaining an extension to finalize an SGIP reservation?

Long story is that we ordered a Powerwall system from Tesla in Feb. 2020, the project was supposed to be finished in Sept. 2020, but the system was defectively designed and installed, and failed inspection from the county. Tesla was supposed to go back and correct the construction defects, but determined that more Powerwalls were needed to correct brown-outs we were experiencing, and demanded that we agree to pay another $13,000 to do so. We don't have the budget to pay Tesla to correct their defects, so the project has remained in limbo for 6+ months now and our SGIP rebate is set to expire in 3 weeks - we qualified for (and have a reservation under) the equity resiliency program, so the entire cost of the system would have been covered by state and federal incentives.

Not really sure what to do here since we can't obtain PTO without the permits passing inspection, and we need additional electrical work and corrected permits, which Tesla allowed to expire.

Wow, I am sorry to hear such an experience.

As pointed out above, Tesla Energy needs to do this work if they agreed to 100%. If you have a reservation, apply for an extension.

The company I work for has 2-3 people who work on just this part of the project: dealing with PG&E and SGIP. It really is a significant job and I suspect some amount of flaming hoops are to keep the riff-raff out. If the process if very difficult, only those really dedicated to it will be granted the funds.

It took me literally 6 months to get my reservation, and I know that our PGE department will ensure to do whatever it takes to follow up and get the reserved funds.

Last edited:
@KPU73 SGIP needs to be applied for, and a reservation obtained, prior to construction. If you have had one installed, the train has left the station. Tesla has not been doing SGIP at least prior to March 2020, when I enquired and was informed by them, and others, that Tesla had exhausted its quota of SGIP developer funds.

It is also the case that SGIP funds are generally already fully committed, unless you have some special qualifying attributes. (Well water, medical, low income...)

All the best,

BG

Have you contacted your SGIP Group at your utility company for an extension? Do this first. Link to info: SGIP |
Also you should probably file a complaint, if you have not yet, with the State Contractors Licensing Board immediately. Best wishes.

Glad you got your extension. May I suggest you also file a complaint with the CA State Contractors License Board. The forms are on their website.

I have filed a complaint with the California State Contractors License Board, and I spoke with their intake department over the holiday. I was told that the state of California is receiving so many complaints about Tesla installations that they are sending Tesla straight to citation as opposed to trying to mitigate these issues.

As an update, Tesla is now demanding that we pay $25k to fix their design defects. Our experience with Tesla has been absolutely horrific. Caveat emptor.

FYI - we have been advised by an attorney to file for arbitration.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
I have filed a complaint with the California State Contractors License Board, and I spoke with their intake department over the holiday. I was told that the state of California is receiving so many complaints about Tesla installations that they are sending Tesla straight to citation as opposed to trying to mitigate these issues.

As an update, Tesla is now demanding that we pay $25k to fix their design defects. Our experience with Tesla has been absolutely horrific. Caveat emptor.

FYI - we have been advised by an attorney to file for arbitration.
Which attorney did you use?

I too am dealing with Tesla's refusal to apply for SGIP on my behalf for a system that was installed April 2021. After numerous sales people & then project managers assured me that there were notes in my file they would be applying. October 2021 I was told they were overwhelmed with applications. Held off til Feb 2022 to again inquire. One customer service rep emailed I did qualify & she would check with Victor (his name was often invoked) on next steps. I'm sure she was reprimanded for that. Then the response came I didn't qualify. PG&E came through repeatedly with info that I did qualify for Small Residential Storage Step 7 which was refunded to the tune of $5 mil last November. This has now stretched out first asking for confirmation from PG&E (done several times), did I have it in writing they'd apply (lots of verbal, but email from rep) and now insisting I don't qualify & it's now past one year deadline since PTO, 5/25/21. Have reached out CA PUC, who quickly responded via phone indicating they have many similar complaints. Will file formal complaint. BTW, PG&E said I would have been eligible for upwards of $1400.

Sounds like I'm not alone. Beside formal complaint & possible arbitration, not sure what else to do. It has consumed many, many hours of my life. CA PUC said I should consider that for restitution!

And, BTW, my PowerWall went out & Tesla has determined it must be replaced! Good news, coming in a week with replacement. Seems surprising after such a short period of time. Anyone else had this happen?

I too am dealing with Tesla's refusal to apply for SGIP on my behalf for a system that was installed April 2021. After numerous sales people & then project managers assured me that there were notes in my file they would be applying. October 2021 I was told they were overwhelmed with applications. Held off til Feb 2022 to again inquire. One customer service rep emailed I did qualify & she would check with Victor (his name was often invoked) on next steps. I'm sure she was reprimanded for that. Then the response came I didn't qualify. PG&E came through repeatedly with info that I did qualify for Small Residential Storage Step 7 which was refunded to the tune of $5 mil last November. This has now stretched out first asking for confirmation from PG&E (done several times), did I have it in writing they'd apply (lots of verbal, but email from rep) and now insisting I don't qualify & it's now past one year deadline since PTO, 5/25/21. Have reached out CA PUC, who quickly responded via phone indicating they have many similar complaints. Will file formal complaint. BTW, PG&E said I would have been eligible for upwards of $1400.

Sounds like I'm not alone. Beside formal complaint & possible arbitration, not sure what else to do. It has consumed many, many hours of my life. CA PUC said I should consider that for restitution!

And, BTW, my PowerWall went out & Tesla has determined it must be replaced! Good news, coming in a week with replacement. Seems surprising after such a short period of time. Anyone else had this happen?

SGIP is a mess and extremely slow. If NEM3.0 ever shows up and they have some battery credit, I really don't want the state to manage it since it's a mess on whether you will qualify or if you'll ever get it and it's excrutiatingly slow. It should just be on our regular taxes maybe, but that'd probably require changes to federal tax code.

I think when I was doing research last year for solar/storage, Tesla already used up all their SGIP allocations even earlier so anyone telling you from Tesla you can get SGIP outside of maybe equity programs were probably uninformed.

I'm still waiting and it's almost like you expect nothing at this point.

Reactions: Vines

Given the timing of your installation, Tesla was out of SGIP funds allocations well before you started the process by all accounts. I enquired in April of 2020 and was told that Tesla was no longer permitted to apply then. i.e. they were out then.

However, I think that the real the show stopper is that to receive SGIP funds, the project must have to have project specific approval from your local utility (PG&E) before beginning construction. My recollection is that no post facto approvals are allowed. Do you have an approval letter from PG&E, or just that you could have applied?

BG

Reactions: h2ofun and Vines

I am in the industry and work for the company that installed my Powerwalls. I have been waiting months as well, so this is a theme.

As far as Tesla goes, if you have a written promise that you qualify and that they will apply then you have a case for small claims court.

However, the $1400 or so might not be worth your time to go to court and extract it from Tesla.

I have no direct knowledge, but I heard that Tesla had been out of funds for small-scale SGIP funds for a while before your installation.

The equity resiliency bucket still has money in it today, and someone might get funds approved if they have their paperwork in order. PGE is denying many applications, so waiting in the queue might actually be fruitful. There is also a call in meeting with PGE every Thursday to discuss SGIP issues.

I am in the industry and work for the company that installed my Powerwalls. I have been waiting months as well, so this is a theme.

As far as Tesla goes, if you have a written promise that you qualify and that they will apply then you have a case for small claims court.

However, the $1400 or so might not be worth your time to go to court and extract it from Tesla.

I have no direct knowledge, but I heard that Tesla had been out of funds for small-scale SGIP funds for a while before your installation.

The equity resiliency bucket still has money in it today, and someone might get funds approved if they have their paperwork in order. PGE is denying many applications, so waiting in the queue might actually be fruitful. There is also a call in meeting with PGE every Thursday to discuss SGIP issues.
Since the rules are pretty clear on how to qualify for sgip funds, why are so many being denied?