Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SGIP Rebate Extension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice, I'm guessing you or your installer got your greenbutton data and it showed you using 25 kWh over a 60 minute period. That's how PG&E sizes your SGIP.

1x Powerwall 2 can export 5 kW. So, you would need 5x of them if your peak annual demand over 60 minuets was 25 kW (25 kWh measured in the Greenbutton).
With a medical baseline you qualify for 2 powerwalls regardless of peak consumption. I failed to mention you have to have sustained multiple PSPS outages to qualify.

We are in Tier 2 HFTD & on Medical baseline. We had a panel upgrade to 400amp downgraded to 300amp main. Whole house backed up minus the electric double oven, outdoor spa & casita A/C. We replaced our (2) 5 ton A/C units with high efficiency ones (low LRA). We are on TOU-5p-8p and run on batteries during this peak time. Batteries can get down to 35% just in these 3 hours. We have 3 powerwalls with the sgip rebate already received. Problem is those don't last long in socal heat with AC running. Would we qualify for SGIP again to add 3 additional powerwalls?

We are in Tier 2 HFTD & on Medical baseline. We had a panel upgrade to 400amp downgraded to 300amp main. Whole house backed up minus the electric double oven, outdoor spa & casita A/C. We replaced our (2) 5 ton A/C units with high efficiency ones (low LRA). We are on TOU-5p-8p and run on batteries during this peak time. Batteries can get down to 35% just in these 3 hours. We have 3 powerwalls with the sgip rebate already received. Problem is those don't last long in socal heat with AC running. Would we qualify for SGIP again to add 3 additional powerwalls?
If your 1 hour demand shows a need of 25 kW you might get another 2 under the large scale program with rebates within a year or after SGIP is satisfied.

Once you go over 5 units the payback is slower, as it needs to be monitored and reported to your utility for 5 years. My understanding is that in those cases they pay out 50% of the incentive right away, and the other 50% over the next 5 years based on your actual discharge data. The company I work for would charge an additional fee for that 5 year monitoring, so the final cost to installed kWh ratio is slightly worse at 6 units than 5.

This understanding is based on PGE workings, so I cant promise your utility is the same.

If your 1 hour demand shows a need of 25 kW you might get another 2 under the large scale program with rebates within a year or after SGIP is satisfied.

Once you go over 5 units the payback is slower, as it needs to be monitored and reported to your utility for 5 years. My understanding is that in those cases they pay out 50% of the incentive right away, and the other 50% over the next 5 years based on your actual discharge data. The company I work for would charge an additional fee for that 5 year monitoring, so the final cost to installed kWh ratio is slightly worse at 6 units than 5.

This understanding is based on PGE workings, so I cant promise your utility is the same.
Yep, a max of 5 is the sweet spot. Gets funnier above that so glad I stopped at 5, and save a bunch of money too.

Have you had 2 or more PSPS events? If you have you might qualify for 2 powerwalls under the medical baseline. To qualify for the 3 powerwalls under SGIP you would have to meet income limits and I believe be on a well pump as your sole source of water.

Have you had 2 or more PSPS events? If you have you might qualify for 2 powerwalls under the medical baseline. To qualify for the 3 powerwalls under SGIP you would have to meet income limits and I believe be on a well pump as your sole source of water.

there is no such PSPS requirement in so cal (at least not in SCE territory). i got two powerwalls via SCE SGIP, medical baseline, and have not had a single PSPS shutoff yet. i am in a tier 2 fire zone, but no PSPS.

AFAIK, at least for SCE, the requirement is that you're in a tier 2 or tier 3 fire zone...there is no such requirement that you have experienced any PSPS shutoffs.

(PG&E cust) Finally receiving my SGIP! First system ordered 11/2017, installed 4/18. 5kw w/2 batteries, promised step 2 SGIP from Tesla. SGIP inquiry to Tesla multiple times........Crickets. 1 year passes, now I'm ineligible to apply. Ordered 3rd PW 6/20, apply for my own developer key and SGIP for large system step 2. 4 years of relentless paperwork back and forth from SGIP. Final outcome, 2nd step, large system - 3364.00 x 3! Good luck folks! Don't give up!
2022-07-24.jpg

there is no such PSPS requirement in so cal (at least not in SCE territory). i got two powerwalls via SCE SGIP, medical baseline, and have not had a single PSPS shutoff yet. i am in a tier 2 fire zone, but no PSPS.

AFAIK, at least for SCE, the requirement is that you're in a tier 2 or tier 3 fire zone...there is no such requirement that you have experienced any PSPS shutoffs.
You are correct. I thought you had to have had events but with medical baseline you do not.

We qualify for Equity Resiliency based on this matrix with several PSPS events and me on CPAP. However, we already have a solar roof and 2 Powerwalls. Can we get funding to add a 3rd Powerwall?
Good question, I'm not really sure. I do know Equity Resiliency funding is currently waitlisted right now for all of the participating utilities, but I think there's more funding coming.

Reactions: jboy210
We qualify for Equity Resiliency based on this matrix with several PSPS events and me on CPAP. However, we already have a solar roof and 2 Powerwalls. Can we get funding to add a 3rd Powerwall?
Yes, you will need to specify within your SGIP docs that you have a current system and are only adding one. The rest of the process mirrors normal sgip until PTO and you’ll likely have to reiterate some details to them.

Reactions: jboy210
We only qualify for the base SGIP rebate, but Tesla is telling me they are too busy to fill out the paperwork, so we can't get the rebate. Does anyone know if (or how) to self apply? Tesla claims the contractor (Tesla in my case) has to complete the paperwork and they don't have time (despite the fact I waited 1.5 years for my Tesla solar roof plus power wall).

We only qualify for the base SGIP rebate, but Tesla is telling me they are too busy to fill out the paperwork, so we can't get the rebate. Does anyone know if (or how) to self apply? Tesla claims the contractor (Tesla in my case) has to complete the paperwork and they don't have time (despite the fact I waited 1.5 years for my Tesla solar roof plus power wall).

I only remember one case where someone successfully applied (and that was a while ago). Tesla has not applied for SGIP base rebate for a few years now, so thats not new.

You would have to register as your own developer, get your own developer key, and I have not seen any reports of someone successfully doing it for a few years now. @holeydonut started down that road (and is very familiar with paperwork and stuff) but ran into some snags.

TL ; DR, Tesla doesnt file for it, and their pricing reflects that as they are in general the same price as most other installers if you figure the other installers price after the SGIP rebate. Its not designed for someone to file for themselves, either.

• Informative
Reactions: TexaCali
I've always read Tesla has long ran out of regular consumer SGIP rebate allocations (there's a limit from what I read/leanred). Maybe someone else will chime in, but I'm way too tired to figure someone else SGIP chance.

SGIP is painful to go through. My guess is don't assume you will get SGIP from Tesla. Also, don't assume you will get SGIP even if you didn't use Tesla. Compared to how easy the federal solar tax credit is, SGIP is like torture. One reason why I don't put much stock in any CA ESS credits/plans/discounts.

One major point to SGIP upfront: you must obtain SGIP approval before installation begins.

SGIP is rationed amongst installers and Tesla ran out of its allotment many years ago. As @jjrandorin pointed out, the only reported case of someone doing the paperwork themselves was a few years ago as well. As using Tesla to do your install and then trying to claim you are the developer would appear to be against the spirit of the SGIP quota system, I suspect that there is a reason why recent "self developers" have failed to get SGIP.

We went through the process with a third party, and while it had its amusing aspects, like the SGIP inspector sent out in dress shoes, and the PG&E requests (at two different times!) for a photo of our well pump ("uh, folks, it is a submersible pump a couple hundred feet down..."), it wasn't that bad.

Enjoy your nice new roof!

All the best,

BG

Yeah, the SGIP set installer limits on the residential programs. The major players hit those limits really fast on the small scale programs.

A handful of people snuck around this and claimed self-developer status to avoid the caps.

I tried to go the “self developer” route on the large scale program … but I had to prove no licensed installer was part of my install.

Tesla still does SGIP, but only for larger scale community programs not available to homeowners.

• Informative
Yeah, the SGIP set installer limits on the residential programs. The major players hit those limits really fast on the small scale programs.

A handful of people snuck around this and claimed self-developer status to avoid the caps.

I tried to go the “self developer” route on the large scale program … but I had to prove no licensed installer was part of my install.

Tesla still does SGIP, but only for larger scale community programs not available to homeowners.

I think ( but am not positive) that Tesla only does equity and resiliency SGIP filings. I dont think they did large scale (3+) SGIP filings that were not in that specific program previously. Thats what I was told when I looked into it when I was looking at powerwalls ("we dont do large scale filings, and we have hit the cap for small scale, which is 1-2 powerwalls. You can get waitlisted for that program, sir." )

Then I got 2 other bids on installation of 2 powerwalls, and found that the other bids were the same price as Teslas, roughly, but Teslas was "what you pay right now" and the others were "what your final cost is, after you get the SGIP rebate that we can not guarantee you get".

• Informative
I think ( but am not positive) that Tesla only does equity and resiliency SGIP filings. I dont think they did large scale (3+) SGIP filings that were not in that specific program previously. Thats what I was told when I looked into it when I was looking at powerwalls ("we dont do large scale filings, and we have hit the cap for small scale, which is 1-2 powerwalls. You can get waitlisted for that program, sir." )

Then I got 2 other bids on installation of 2 powerwalls, and found that the other bids were the same price as Teslas, roughly, but Teslas was "what you pay right now" and the others were "what your final cost is, after you get the SGIP rebate that we can not guarantee you get".

Yeah, Tesla says they will never help someone with 3 or more Powerwalls since their SGIP limit is only 10 kW. The entire SGIP program is so convoluted... I don't know what they were thinking when they put this together.

At a previous company we applied for some tax rebates to open a new office move some some key roles. Like millions of dollars worth of credits. The red tape for that was a fraction of what I dealt with on a large-scale SGIP worth maybe $7,000.