Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SGIP Rebate Question - This Legit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a fire zone and also require a medical device throughout the night, and I was solicited to take advantage of some SGIP program/rebates through the state of California. After numerous phone calls/emails with Infinity Energy, Inc., I got quoted for 24 panels and 4 Tesla Powerwalls. I was told that all 4 Powerwalls would get reimbursed by the State (about 13.5K each) because of the medical requirement and that at the end of the day I'd just be paying for the solar panels (which themselves get a 26% tax rebate). This was my out the door quote after taking advantage of rebates/incentives:

Solar and Batteries Balance: $87,112.00 (upfront cost)
26% Federal tax rebate on solar: - $ 8,921.12
Battery Incentive : - $52,800.00
Total: $ 25,390.88

Does anyone have any thoughts or knee jerk reactions to this? Interested to hear thoughts about anything, from price, to the company, to whether this is a scam, etc. Thanks so much in advance.

I live in a fire zone and also require a medical device throughout the night, and I was solicited to take advantage of some SGIP program/rebates through the state of California. After numerous phone calls/emails with Infinity Energy, Inc., I got quoted for 24 panels and 4 Tesla Powerwalls. I was told that all 4 Powerwalls would get reimbursed by the State (about 13.5K each) because of the medical requirement and that at the end of the day I'd just be paying for the solar panels (which themselves get a 26% tax rebate). This was my out the door quote after taking advantage of rebates/incentives:

Does anyone have any thoughts or knee jerk reactions to this? Interested to hear thoughts about anything, from price, to the company, to whether this is a scam, etc. Thanks so much in advance.

You can price it around, but the name of the program you are looking at is called (I believe) the SGIP equity and resiliency program

Its a real program with some hoops to jump through, but based on what you are saying, you qualify for it. I have a personal dislike for anyone "soliciting me" for stuff like this, so that almost puts that company out of the running for me.

Its an SGIP program, but you still need to do your due diligence like any other construction project. Powerwalls are not "13.5k each" either... not even close to that, even from a third party. It looks like price gouging from the third party trying to max out what SGIP will pay per powerwall.

Definitely get another quote but tell the company that you qualify for the above program and see if they know about it.

I wonder if the company @Vines works for is participating? I would not have any hesitancy in referring you there. Tagging him here in the hopes he might let you know via PM or something if where he works participates.

Thanks so much for the info. Even with installation, 13.5K does sound like a lot per powerwall. I'll definitely reach out to another company or two, and hopefully the guy your recommend can offer insight or even do the job.

SGIP will not be in effect in Palo Alto. Palo Alto has their own utility (CPAU) that does not participate in the SGIP equity resiliency, or SGIP.

I am surprised that any company installing in CPA doesn't know the scoop lol. Could be the location of the install is not in the CPAU territory.

Regardless, the last time I looked into it, the SGIP equity resiliency program was out of money.

You can PM me if you like and I can give you a recommendation. The company I work for is currently booked out to November-ish.

Thanks for the reply. Will send you a PM. I’m actually in Calaveras County, not Palo Alto. :)

SGIP will not be in effect in Palo Alto. Palo Alto has their own utility (CPAU) that does not participate in the SGIP equity resiliency, or SGIP.

I am surprised that any company installing in CPA doesn't know the scoop lol. Could be the location of the install is not in the CPAU territory.

Regardless, the last time I looked into it, the SGIP equity resiliency program was out of money.

You can PM me if you like and I can give you a recommendation. The company I work for is currently booked out to November-ish.

The SGIP Residential Equity Resiliency incentive program is real. You get up to $13,200 per Powerwall but once you get over 2 Powerwalls it takes more effort to qualify. There is still some funding left but you'd need to hurry to get into this round. Got to this website and selcet Equity Resiliency in the Budget Category drop-down menu to see current funding:
SGIP |
There may be more rounds of funding coming, I haven't been keeping up.
As mentioned, shop around. If Tesla installs in your area you may want to contact them. But be careful, they aren't always that knowledgeable about the different programs.

I tried getting SGIP info from SCE and got absolutely no where! My understanding is that you need to be in a fire zone to qualify for the Equity Resiliency, unlike the "standard" SGIP. ANyone have a link for finding out whether my address qualifies? Thanks.

How can you tell if you qualify for the Residential Storage Equity category $0.85 per kWh vs Equity Resiliency category $1.00 per kWh?

FWIW Sunrun said the chances of me getting SGIP with an installation in 2020 were very slim to none, so they wouldn't even factor SGIP in their calculations on system costs.

The funding has been replenished. $13,500 is the standard allotment per Powerwall, so thats why they are charging that much.

If you are eligible, I'd jump on it.
In SGIP's eyes there are only 13.2 usable kWh per Powerwall so you only get $13,200 max incentive per Powerwall. I think this comes from the actual sticker on the Powerwall and not the engineering data sheet.

Last edited:
I tried getting SGIP info from SCE and got absolutely no where! My understanding is that you need to be in a fire zone to qualify for the Equity Resiliency, unlike the "standard" SGIP. ANyone have a link for finding out whether my address qualifies? Thanks.
Here is a link to the PG&E Residential SGIP page:
Discover the Self-Generation Incentive Program for Residential Customers
I qualified because I'm in a Tier 2 wildfire threat area (plus numerous safety shutdowns) and use an electric well for water.

Reactions: SoCalSteve
How can you tell if you qualify for the Residential Storage Equity category $0.85 per kWh vs Equity Resiliency category $1.00 per kWh?

FWIW Sunrun said the chances of me getting SGIP with an installation in 2020 were very slim to none, so they wouldn't even factor SGIP in their calculations on system costs.
The Residential Equity Resiliency incentive is different from the other incentives. For one, there is no developer cap. Criteria can be found here:
Discover the Self-Generation Incentive Program for Residential Customers

Reactions: SoCalSteve

I found the below by googling... but most who qualify generally know they would. Medical equipment need like OP in this thread, or high risk fire area impacted by multiple PSPS last year. If either of those fits you then maybe?

Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) Info

SGIP Eligibility Maps
SGIP Eligibility Mapping Tool: Residential Eligibility Map and Non-Residential Eligibility Map

Please note that the mapping tool works best in Chrome or Firefox browser.

The CPUC has also developed mapping tools - a Residential Eligibility Map and a Non-Residential Eligibility Map - to assist customers in determining whether they may be eligible for the Equity Resiliency budget. Please review the User Guide for instructions on how to use the maps. Please be aware that these maps do not confer eligibility and are for informational purposes only. Eligibility will be continue to be determined by the SGIP Program Administrators.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/...3c&extent=-128.3082,32.5296,-108.1812,42.0178

It looks like there are three levels, General Market, Equity, and Equity resiliency. Its the "Equity Resiliency" which is $1 per watt hour which gets to $13,200 for a Powerwall.

Oddly, we are in a fire area with LADWP and SoCalGas, and it appears that even without the second qualifying factor there is still a substantial incentive under General Market. Something else to research.

Reactions: holeydonut
Thanks for all the replies, RKCRLR and jjrandorin. It's interesting that the PGE site has more info and is more digestible than the SCE or the SGIP site!

It looks like there are three levels, General Market, Equity, and Equity resiliency. Its the "Equity Resiliency" which is $1 per watt hour which gets to $13,200 for a Powerwall.

Oddly, we are in a fire area with LADWP and SoCalGas, and it appears that even without the second qualifying factor there is still a substantial incentive under General Market. Something else to research.

It doesn't look like the General Market is available according to the link that RKCRLR posted above. Both General and Equity are described as: "This budget category is currently fully subscribed, but you may still apply to join the waitlist. Please keep in mind that there is a significant waitlist and this budget category will not receive more funding."

Only the Equity Resiliency is available.

Thanks @jjrandorin and @Southpasfan .

It looks like I get $0 SGIP since I would have to use the "General Market Non-Residential" option.

A single Powerwall 2 is greater than 10kWh, and my address isn't in the purple zone on the ArcGIS site (even though PG&E threatens to shut us down all the time).

And that tier hasn't had new funds replenished in a loooooong time.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin