Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shade Mesh Screen Top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have not finalized pricing on the new conversion Tops. (TMTCs) While we were ecstatic how Petefish's top came out (FB page has pics) out it was a nerveracking moment to cut up a perfectly good soft top. Only the experience gained from all the previous builds made it work.

got my TMTC today and it is great. i bought a used top that was damaged in such a way that chris' usual method (which uses a residual fabric border for mesh attachment) was not possible and chris made a great top using a new 100% mesh technique. in addition to loving the top, i really appreciated chris' attitude and service which made the whole interaction pleasant.

for anyone considering one of these, i highly recommend it. roadster driving with the mesh top is a totally different experience in a way that is hard to describe but fun to experience.

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

got my TMTC today and it is great. i bought a used top that was damaged in such a way that chris' usual method (which uses a residual fabric border for mesh attachment) was not possible and chris made a great top using a new 100% mesh technique. in addition to loving the top, i really appreciated chris' attitude and service which made the whole interaction pleasant.

for anyone considering one of these, i highly recommend it. roadster driving with the mesh top is a totally different experience in a way that is hard to describe but fun to experience.

Looks great. So this is a newer version that fits over the sides of the windows similar to the Tesla soft top?

Looks great. So this is a newer version that fits over the sides of the windows similar to the Tesla soft top?

yes, chris taylor takes a tesla cloth soft top and converts it to a mesh top for $500+shipping.

(i was excited at this tesla top conversion as i could not see myself accepting the gap that comes with the original lotus-derived mesh top)

i located a damaged soft top (here on TMC) since i wanted to keep my original soft top, though i was going to eventually break down and buy another new soft top if nothing came up.

i do wonder what tesla does with damaged soft tops, since mine was replaced under warranty when some plastic came off one of the pins (which seemed reparable with access to a machine shop.)

in any case, i reiterate my recommendation for a mesh top. if you went to the trouble to get a roadster, you should get a mesh top.

Last edited:
Jory's damaged top allowed for some full on meshperimentation. TMT now offer a 100 percent replacement of the Tesla/Lotus stock softop material and liner with TMT's special mesh material. Now if you supply a standard softop new, used or fabric damaged, we can return you a full replacement soft top that seals at the windows.

Many like the standard Mesh Top as it packs small and takes up little room in the trunk but now we offer both styles!

More pics on the FB page

Was just thinking last week how much I enjoy having the original mesh top for that its so compact. It actually fits together well with the softtop in the softtop bag when I want to run topless at times. The softtop conversion looks really clean but it will take up some extra space since you have the wide frames that're over the doors. Still verypleased with my original mesh top!

I picked up my mesh top conversion from Chris a couple days ago. I am happy with it, for the reasons others have listed.

On the negative side, there are a couple places on the front where the mesh has some buckling, but Chris tells me that that settles in in time. I also find it to be a loud on the freeway at speed, but I'm not sure it's louder than topless. As an aside, I've been experimenting with wind noise (without the top on), and having the top off and the windows all the way up channels a lot of wind into the carbon "roll bar" piece above the rear window, which makes for a lot of wind noise, whereas if I lower the window a bit that is alleviated some.

While I think the traditional version of the TMT is nice, I definitely prefer the conversion. Anyway, here are some pics. Also, FYI, Chris will be at Teslive.
IMAG0113.jpg
IMAG0114.jpg
IMAG0115.jpg
IMAG0117.jpg
IMAG0121.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really great IP!

Regarding Teslive, would anyone in the Bay Area like to have their Roadster there so the Tesla Mesh Top could be showed in on a car?

PM me if you would like to have your car on glorious display.

VFX, we want you to drive up so we can see your car color in the sun!

If the Supercharger announcement does not include operational units between Seattle and the Bay area by mid-July, I will likely be driving the Roadster down and would be happy to display the mesh top. But if Superchargers are in, I am gonna have to drive the Model S...do you have a mesh in the works for the pano roof? :smile:

By the way, thanks a lot, IP. Until I saw your pictures I had been perfectly happy with the all-black cockpit in my yellow car.

Not sure if it will work out logistically but we were at the Supercharger Event and the X reveal and LA Get Amped tour as well. I saw you!

Thanks for the offer (and thanks the the two PMs as well). Maybe we can rotate so people can not be inconvenienced. I may post in the TESlive thread as well because any Roadster will work. There will be Tops for sale at the Mesh Top table!

- - - Updated - - -

While I think the traditional version of the TMT is nice, I definitely prefer the conversion. Anyway, here are some pics. Also, FYI, Chris will be at Teslive.
There may be only conversions in the future. Teslive may be the last time the original TMT will be offered.

I picked up a Mesh Top from Chris at TESLIVE and finally got to try it out this weekend. As expected it does a great job of cutting down direct sunlight while still feeling open air. As an added bonus it makes driving at freeway speeds a lot more comfortable by deflecting the wind. I used to roll up the windows on the freeway to block the wind, but now I find I can keep the windows down with even less buffeting than before.

Another unexpected bonus is that I'm spending less time taking the top on/off. I usually drive top-down and park top-up which means I'm constantly inserting/removing struts, rolling/unrolling the top and locking/unlocking the pins. I've got it down to 30 seconds, but it still can be a pain when you're in a rush. With the mesh top I'm happy just leaving it on all the time.

Great souvenir from TESLIVE.

Thanks for the review. I'm anxiously awaiting my CPO Roadster and this looks great. Are they still available? I'll send the appropriate PM.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I just tried sending a PM and got a mailbox full message. Please PM me when you get a chance. Thanks.

Thanks for the review. I'm anxiously awaiting my CPO Roadster and this looks great. Are they still available? I'll send the appropriate PM.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I just tried sending a PM and got a mailbox full message. Please PM me when you get a chance. Thanks.

Yes, they are available. Chris Taylor has some standard ones in stock (or at least he did a couple weeks ago), and he can make a conversion in a couple weeks (from when he gets your soft top). PM Eric and he can put you in touch with Chris.

I had my conversion done a couple months ago and I love it. It is not really quiet as the wind noise is still there, but it is nice to have *some* wind and sun, but not *extreme* wind and sun. And it is, as djp wrote, great to be able to leave it with the mesh top on all the time.

For me, the conversion was definitely the way to go (as I really like the look compared to the original Taylor Mesh Top), but you have to offer up a soft top for the conversion, which for many people means getting rid of the soft top. I bought someone's extra soft top on this board, so I didn't have to give up my soft top, but in retrospect I'd be fine with doing without the soft top as I have the glass top and mesh top. And my wife has a soft top too, so we have plenty of Roadster tops!

Also, when Chris first made my top it was a good fit, but not great. A little loose on the front edge. He said it would likely settle in in time, but it didn't. So I took it back to him (he lives in SoCal) and he fixed it in a few days. He absolutely stands by his product. And it is now perfect.

I just wanted to post a quick note on this top. I had a new one made. I wasn't willing to give up my original top. With only one Roadster in the house, it would have required me to put the hard top on for a car wash and that's just too much trouble.

It took some time but I was in no rush. I got mine about a month ago. I absolutely love it! The Phoenix desert in Sept-October can have highs in the 90's and lows in the 60's. I was able to drive around all day comfortably without A/C or rolling up the windows in those temps. It keeps the open air feeling while providing some much needed protection from the desert sun.

I'll probably end up using this more than the stock softtop in the Phoenician fall and spring. We're can be a bit ass-backwards here. Because it's so hot in the summer, that's when I'll put on the hardtop while most others in habitable climates end up driving top down.

Anyway, this mesh top is great and I strongly recommend. You get the open air driving fun but with sun and wind protection.