Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shade Mesh Screen Top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bill-the-cat-ack.jpg

There has been a lot of interest in tops lately. These are made to order so if you have been thinking of one, send me a note so you can be included on the next big batch and save on the waiting.

There has been a lot of interest in tops lately. These are made to order so if you have been thinking of one, send me a note so you can be included on the next big batch and save on the waiting.

True enough - one friend in Colorado has now ordered & another Tesla owner saw the mesh top today at HP's Earth Day event and promptly sent an email to order. Very cool accessory.

Is there still the gap between the top of the door windows and the rail of the mesh top? Is there an improvement coming? I think having the windows and mesh meet will helpo reduce noise enough so the bluetooth cell phone mike can be used...I don't think they put in a noise cancelling mike - nodoby seems to be able to hear me (especially through my Tesla-grin).

How much are these? What is the lead time. I like your idea of using the shower-cap with the mesh - it would save alot of hassle on rainy days. I am waiting for my Elise shower-cap to arrive so I can figure out how to modify it.

Hi H,

Yes the space (about 2 inches) between the top rail and the side glass is part of the design. No change is planned simply because it would be cost prohibitive and not necessary. The Mesh Top is quieter than having no top but not as quiet as a soft or hard top. It's really right in between just like the sun and wind issues on the driver and passenger. Less sun and wind than topless but it's not tottaly eliminated like windows up soft or hardtop. Have not done a sound test with the space filled in but the wind rushing over the mesh would offset any gain by that mod. You can listen in the video @ 1:56 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUPS5FY5uVg for the sound level. You can hear the presenter but also the wind across the microphone (and music!). The Mesh Top is the perfect compromise to having that top down feeling without oppressive sun or a dark solid over your head.

For more details feel free to PM me!

Is there still the gap between the top of the door windows and the rail of the mesh top? Is there an improvement coming? I think having the windows and mesh meet will helpo reduce noise enough so the bluetooth cell phone mike can be used...I don't think they put in a noise cancelling mike - nodoby seems to be able to hear me (especially through my Tesla-grin).

How much are these? What is the lead time. I like your idea of using the shower-cap with the mesh - it would save alot of hassle on rainy days. I am waiting for my Elise shower-cap to arrive so I can figure out how to modify it.

Finally, charging the full price up front is a bad idea. It's not just bad for the customers, it's bad for the vendor, too. It would introduce a lot of discipline if he charged a 30% deposit - enough to make sure the customer is serious, and enough to cover material inputs. Then he would be very motivated to ship product so he could get paid, which would be good for HIM as well as his customers. ...

Well put.
We don't ask for anything up front on the Mesh Tops. We have a hard time keeping up with orders as those of you are enjoying them know but having a running list of people want them keeps them coming out, even if day jobs slow the process.

Hope everyone brings their Tops to the factory tour and share them with others to see.

I have the Taylor mesh top. I think that's the one you folks are talking about. I love it. I got it late last fall and only had a brief time to use it before winter set in, and this spring it's been cool and wet (unusual for Spokane) so I've only had it on twice. But it's fabulous. The gap at the windows is not a problem for me.

On the freeway, with the top off, there's too much wind for my comfort, but with the mesh top I'm fine. I do need to wear a cap when I'm using the mesh top because enough sun comes through to be uncomfortable on my very sensitive head. I use the Tesla peaked cap they gave me when I bought the Roadster, which keeps the sun off my head and also out of my eyes. With the top off there's so much wind at freeway speed that I'm afraid it would blow off, but with the mesh top there's no danger to the cap.

This spring I had trouble getting it on the first time. I had to dig out the instructions and be reminded about the red pin that indicates the proper direction. (Oops. :redface:)

I am a bit paranoid about leaving the car parked for any great length of time with it, on account of the window gap and the fact that any liquid would penetrate. So I'll put the soft top on, and then I'll put the mesh top back on. It only takes a couple of minutes to switch tops, since they both use the same support rods.

The mesh top gives me lots of air and sunlight, but not too much of either, and I never need to use the A/C. Count me as a big fan.

The soft top conversion is a little different, it uses the soft top structure and mounting if I'm correct. Where as the original Taylor top only uses the support beams from the soft top. The advantage of the soft top conversion is no gaps which is nice. The disadvantage is that now you don't have a soft top and if you bought one new they run quite pricy. The Taylor top is the way to go from an economic standpoint. If you want the soft top conversion contact Chris Taylor and as he mentioned above he'll perform the conversion for you. I don't know if the picture above is the soft top conversion... I don't see any gaps above the windows.