Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shall I wait for 2021 model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So maybe the smartest thing is to wait a few months before order it sounds like..

Sure, if you don't need a car right now, wait until you do. If you need a car right now, buy one now. Like most technology, something better will always come along within 12 months. Tesla will hopefully improve their QC, but keep in mind Tesla has had these issues for a decade already.

Once again, an echo magnifying issues.

A little context would be helpful. AC charging or Supercharging? The error seems to point to the AC EVSE.
Echo echo echo: Supercharging, set to 80%, the battery was preconditioned, was receiving 142 from the Stall, worked ok from 20-69% then contactor opened and an error popped, mid 80's weather with overcast, SC station was empty, first time ever had an issue supercharging, between my old 3 and this Y, when I went to unplug to plug back in, weird plastic smell around the port area, and heat pump was running all the way. So yeah, an issue. There are reports of charger port issues on these early ones as well as heat pumps on some, I asked at the SC and heat pumps have been changed on these as well.

Last edited:
Do anyone think there will there be any significant changes to the Y in the next year? For example, Screen in front of the steering wheel, more options for interior colors, difference wheel options, etc etc.
No, only manufacturing and part redesigned if need be, really under the hood stuff tweaks here and there. From what we've seen with the 3, etc...

Last edited:
But no one will buy a 2020 in September knowing it takes 4-12 weeks to get it. I don't think anyways?? For resale value alone it's like own a year old car already.

4th quarter deliveries have been highest for 2017, 2018 and 2019. 2020 will likely be the same trend.

tot_0-1.png

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
Echo echo echo: Supercharging, set to 80%, the battery was preconditioned, was receiving 142 from the Stall, worked ok from 20-69% then contactor opened and an error popped, mid 80's weather with overcast, SC station was empty, first time ever had an issue supercharging, between my old 3 and this Y, when I went to unplug to plug back in, weird plastic smell around the port area, and heat pump was running all the way. So yeah, an issue. There are reports of charger port issues on these early ones as well as heat pumps on some, I asked at the SC and heat pumps have been changed on these as well.
Yeah, that's a hardware problem.

• Disagree
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Actually, there were Model 3 owners who took delivery before December 31, 2019 who received 2020 model year VIN designations.

Car Confections (on YouTube) mentioned they had the best-case scenario — a 2020 model year designation and delivery before December 31, 2019 so they were eligible for the EV credit.
Correct. Our model 3 was built in December 2019 and delivered that month and is designated a 2020 model.

I thought Tesla rolled the VIN year forward around October of last year. Of course there was no difference between a late September 2019 and a October 2020 other than the VIN date, which could impact depreciation if you aren't planning to keep the car for a number of years.

Perhaps Tesla has changed their year designation methods, but my December 2017 build date is designated as a 2017 model.

Is there any risk of getting banned if you reject the car? I hear other people who rejected get banned from buying the same car again later.

True...but Model 3 started rolling off the line in July 2017. So approx 3 years now already before their $2k price cut. In Nov and Dec 2019 they announced price INCREASES on Model 3 ($1500 on 3LR). Also on July 1 2020 FSD goes up another $1k. So ask yourself...was there any real price decreases on M3? Point being, don't expect a MY price decrease to come. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a price increase within a year or 2.
There were M3 prices cuts of sorts as early as 2018. Tesla made the $5k Performance Upgrade package standard during that year and gave previous buyers a $5k refund or free supercharging.