Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shall I wait for 2021 model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WIll the 2020's drop in price later this year you guys think? I don't know how they can sell these in August, by the time you get it it will be a a coupole months away from 2021.

Not a chance on Model Y. Demand is too high just like the X. Only drops were the S and X as we saw. Won’t be surprised they raise the price on Model Y. Unlike other ICE’s where demand has dropped and especially during ‘stay at home’...Tesla is not your typical vehicle.

But no one will buy a 2020 in September knowing it takes 4-12 weeks to get it. I don't think anyways?? For resale value alone it's like own a year old car already.

Not true, because there is no such thing as a 2020 or 2021 Model Y. Tesla makes changes during the year, not for a model change at year-end. The car you buy in September will be identical to the car you buy in January, unless some improvement happens in between, but improvements happen at random times not at a model year-end. So for trade-in value what counts is how many months old, how many miles, and what, if any, changes have been made to the model over those months.

See this list of Model 3 changes:-

Model 3 - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

5YJYGDEE1LF0110XX

Heh. I’m in the same 110XX range.

I think waiting makes sense if you don’t really need the car right now. Somehow, I’m not too convinced that quality from the factory will get significantly better in the short-term, since there will always be a push to meet the quarter’s production goals, regardless of whether you’re buying in Q3 ‘20, Q4 ‘20, Q1 ‘21, Q2 ‘21etc. And, if at that point, you’ll probably be asking if it makes sense to wait for 2022.

Not true, because there is no such thing as a 2020 or 2021 Model Y. Tesla makes changes during the year, not for a model change at year-end. The car you buy in September will be identical to the car you buy in January, unless some improvement happens in between, but improvements happen at random times not at a model year-end. So for trade-in value what counts is how many months old, how many miles, and what, if any, changes have been made to the model over those months.

See this list of Model 3 changes:-

Model 3 - Tesla Motors Club Wiki
This is the case with many different companies. The issue is with resale value and consumers thinking since it's newer that it's "better" since it's a 2021 not a 2020. This is very common with many car manufacturers to change nothing or some very minor things only. The price drops on the year older model because, well it's a year older... It doesn't always have to do with the updates the car gets. Would you rather have a 2021 car or a 2020??

Reactions: yobotsho
This is a routine picking up a Tesla, you never know how the finishes will be like, its frustrating to pay a luxury price with a crappy low end quality and finishes.
I love non-owner newbies making assertions like this. The issues presented by others here are real, but you totally are clueless that the people with problems are far more likely to complain here.

• Funny
Reactions: Landen420
I love non-owner newbies making assertions like this. The issues presented by others here are real, but you totally are clueless that the people with problems are far more likely to complain here.

I love that you dissected his/her account so deep. Always a hater. Would you wager also a coal roller?

To the OP, I’d wait if I had the luxury, but I need new wheels by the end of the month. Looking more and more like rental-ville for me.

New battery May definitely raise the MSRP though. Maybe significantly. GF China is ready to go with million mile battery provided by CATL at a cost increase of 10%. I’d wager that passed onto the consumer is double. So 20% increase in price. If I channel Elon, I’d name it the “plaid battery” I’d set this at the top their of stellar range mode, or you can buy the mid grade long Range mode, or the poor man’s standard range mode.

Just like the initial rollout of the mode S. Subsidize the new battery tech by selling it high-end.

Tesla supplier ready to make million-mile battery

Elon Musk reveals Tesla Model Y production ramp up problem in leaked email - Electrek

In a new email sent to production employees, CEO Elon Musk confirmed that Tesla is having some production “challenges” with Model Y:
“It is extremely important for us to ramp up Model Y production and minimize rectification needs. I want you to know that it really makes a difference to Tesla right now.”

Rectifications would refer to things Tesla needs to fix on cars that already went through the regular production process.

....Maybe you should wait, unless you're ok with taking a price break and getting problems fixed after delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Reborn and yobotsho
Elon Musk reveals Tesla Model Y production ramp up problem in leaked email - Electrek

In a new email sent to production employees, CEO Elon Musk confirmed that Tesla is having some production “challenges” with Model Y:
“It is extremely important for us to ramp up Model Y production and minimize rectification needs. I want you to know that it really makes a difference to Tesla right now.”

Rectifications would refer to things Tesla needs to fix on cars that already went through the regular production process.

....Maybe you should wait, unless you're ok with taking a price break and getting problems fixed after delivery.

Yes! I agree. I called Tesla today and hold until they get 2021 model in December. I just feel more comfortable with the decision. Thanks!

Yeah, I agree and understand. I don't mind wait for another 6months for 2021 model.

besides, I don't wanna spend my 70k for a car right now when I'm stuck at home most of the time these days. thanks corona!

I’m in the same boat. My 3 was totaled in December and I was waiting on the Y and was gonna pay cash....then we’re working from home till at least October. With all these issues and rates reducing, I might as well wait till I absolutely have to go to the office more than twice a week before delivery. Otherwise I’ll just have a shiny car, sitting in the parking lot losing charge. I already know what it’s like having a Tesla. I love it and have patience. Hopefully by year end or beginning of next year, the issues are resolved. My money can continue accruing interest in the bank for now.

Reactions: house9 and yobotsho
Model 3 decreased in price as well.

True...but Model 3 started rolling off the line in July 2017. So approx 3 years now already before their $2k price cut. In Nov and Dec 2019 they announced price INCREASES on Model 3 ($1500 on 3LR). Also on July 1 2020 FSD goes up another $1k. So ask yourself...was there any real price decreases on M3? Point being, don't expect a MY price decrease to come. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a price increase within a year or 2.

True...but Model 3 started rolling off the line in July 2017. So approx 3 years now already before their $2k price cut. In Nov and Dec 2019 they announced price INCREASES on Model 3 ($1500 on 3LR). Also on July 1 2020 FSD goes up another $1k. So ask yourself...was there any real price decreases on M3? Point being, don't expect a MY price decrease to come. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a price increase within a year or 2.

there was also a price cut of ~$3k+ in early 2019

In 2021: "Shall I wait for the 2022 model?". This is a hi-tech product. If you can buy it, it's already obsolete. You will always be able to get better, faster, more goodies, cheaper if you wait. You will also miss out on the fun you could have had.

Wait for kinks to be worked out. IMHO issue # 6 for me... Vin 817 ‍♂️

Attachments

• A44AC7F5-DD44-40DC-BD28-E05FEC24D954.jpeg
    A44AC7F5-DD44-40DC-BD28-E05FEC24D954.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: yobotsho
Once again, another case to the lack of customer service and quality control.

I am in hopes they get their act together sooner then later!
Once again, an echo magnifying issues.
Wait for kinks to be worked out. IMHO issue # 6 for me... Vin 817 ‍♂️
A little context would be helpful. AC charging or Supercharging? The error seems to point to the AC EVSE.