Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shameful Aerowheel noise at low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's been a very fun first day for this Team Pearl White member who finally "became a man" today. And while all of the salacious tales that have sustained me through the cold lonely months, nay, years of my proverbial pubescence have proven to be true.....there is one disconcerting thing that none of the older kids told me might happen :(
This afternoon, there I was, creeping up behind some oblivious pedestrians in a shopping center, making zero engine noise....well at least I thought I was creeping. Turns out they were able to hear my TM3 due to the embarrassing plasticy squeaking noise coming from all 4 aerowheels (presumably the covers themselves). It's very audible with the windows down from 15 mph and under. Has anyone heard of this, or is it one of those shameful taboo secrets we should never speak of?

• Informative
Reactions: swaltner
This is a feature. It obviates the need for the low-speed pedestrian warning noise maker that will soon be required for EVs. ;)

How hard could it really be to add a suite of sounds to the software for this? I'd love to download my own sounds too. C'mon, it must be a piece of cake. What sound would everybody use? A growling dog? A polite English voice saying, "step aside, please"? Or, for downtown Nashville jaywalking bridal parties, "Get the f**k out of my way!!"?

So it's been a very fun first day for this Team Pearl White member who finally "became a man" today. And while all of the salacious tales that have sustained me through the cold lonely months, nay, years of my proverbial pubescence have proven to be true.....there is one disconcerting thing that none of the older kids told me might happen :(
This afternoon, there I was, creeping up behind some oblivious pedestrians in a shopping center, making zero engine noise....well at least I thought I was creeping. Turns out they were able to hear my TM3 due to the embarrassing plasticy squeaking noise coming from all 4 aerowheels (presumably the covers themselves). It's very audible with the windows down from 15 mph and under. Has anyone heard of this, or is it one of those shameful taboo secrets we should never speak of?

I've had my car for a few days and the covers make a very subtly creaking noise at low speed. It's like the plastic is flexing or wearing in. I removed all of them and re-secured them and it seems to have helped a little, but it's still there.

I removed all of them and re-secured them and it seems to have helped a little, but it's still there.

I removed them all and resecured them too. All it did was get my hands dirty :( But yes, that is a very good description, it sounds like the covers are flexing and rubbing against the wheels as they rotate. I will examine the covers carefully this weekend and make a trip to Home Depot. Perhaps there is some sort of rubber gromet or $50K-car-duct tape that I can buy.

In what 'shopping center' did this take place?

If it was Tysons Galleria, than --- rather than your wheels --- it was probably the pedestrians' credit cards rubbing together in their leather pants.

If it was the Springfield Town Center, than --- rather than your wheels --- it was probably the pedestrians' guns rubbing in their holsters.

... creeping up behind some oblivious pedestrians in a shopping center ...

In what 'shopping center' did this take place?

If it was Tysons Galleria, than --- rather than your wheels --- it was probably the pedestrians' credit cards rubbing together in their leather pants.

If it was the Springfield Town Center, than --- rather than your wheels --- it was probably the pedestrians' guns rubbing in their holsters.
You've managed to make me simultaneously weep and laugh.

How prevalent is this among owners?

If the noise is coming from the plastic cover rubbing against the metal wheel, I wonder if spraying a few coats of plasti-dip onto the inside face of the cover where it contacts the perimeter of the rim would help.

If it's coming from the metal clips rubbing on the metal wheel, @novox77 's idea of adding lube might help. I suppose plasti-dip could help here too, but idk.

If it's coming from interface between the plastic and the metal clips, a dry spray-on lube again might help.

• Helpful
Reactions: Devanish