TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Shannonville Motorsports Park - June 3

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Doug_G, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I am planning to take my Model S to the Shannonville Motorsports Park on June 3, for the "St. LAC at the Track" lapping day. The organizer asked me to tell other Tesla owners that they are also invited. Last year we had five Roadsters out - see Track Day

We have two Sun Country chargers at the site. One is a CS-90, good for 70A, and the other is a CS-40, good for 32A. We can cope reasonably well with 5 or 6 cars, as long as everyone starts the day with a full charge and the stations are continuously occupied. It will be easier to get to/from the track this year, as there are more Sun Country CS-90 stations spread along the 401.

The cost is $185 and includes a catered lunch. If you register by May 10 you get a T-Shirt. If you register by April 15th you get a membership in the St. Lawrence Auto Club.

If you are interested in joining us for the day, please send me a PM.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

3. inottawa

inottawa Member

I'd love to go, but I'll be in North Carolina with my MS for a surf trip. well... unless I mess up the drive down.

4. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Let us know how your S does. I'm going to do some open lapping at Toronto Motorsports Park on June 19th... I'm hoping the power limit doesn't kick in too quickly...

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Me too. FYI there is a guy on these forums who reported that the power limit was based on projected range, so he ended up doing some slow driving to "recover range" and get rid of the power limit. Sounds silly but believable!

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Good tip for track day!

"Does your car need too cooldown?"
    "No, but I need to lower my rolling consumption average so I'll roll around the side track for a bit if that's ok."

7. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I guess for track day it would be nice to have a "race mode" or something like that where regen can be disabled and there is no silly 30 projected mile remaining power limit.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Well you can turn regen down, which I intend to do while at the track.

I think the power limit should be fixed to be based on battery state, aka Rated Range, not projected range. Like the Roadster.

9. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

I took my S to the Circuit Tremblant track this week. I'm going to start a new thread about it, but just wanted to mention the power limit thing. The Tremblant track is about 4 or 4.2km long. We really pushed the car, and by lap two and a quarter or two and a half, the power limit kicked in at about 120-160kW and it REALLY hobbled the acceleration. I was only able to do three laps in the car and exited the track. We did bring it out on the track twice though... each time for three laps. Each lap took about 2 to 2.5 kW of power.

I'll start a thread with pics and videos later today.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

What causes the power limitation? Heat?

11. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Yeah the battery pack heats up and so to prevent damage to it, they've limited the total power output they can provide to the motor.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Software. It calculates that your projected range is under a certain limit and reduces power. Your projected range is lower than normal because, well, you're on a track!

ironically the Roadster behaves the same, but it actually does get hot (the motor does).

13. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

Really? So if my battery had been "fuller" it would have kicked in later? It's weird that it kicked in at the same time (after 2.5 laps), and not sooner on the second run... oh well, software... :)

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

That's what has been posted on these forums. I guess I'll have the chance to see for myself next week...

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Rob [Making the Model S the Best Car Ever (laws of physics need not apply)! - Page 2 gets credit for making me ponder towards this question...

I'm assuming that this is based on projected range (or something like it) which is in Wh/mi. or Wh/km. If you somehow manage to maximize your power output while going at a very low speed (perhaps uphill on a road course) the projected range would skyrocket and even with a nearly full battery the acceleration limiter might kick in. Right? Seems like they should put some caps on the projected range's impact on the limiter.

As I mentioned in another thread, I experienced the acceleration limiter in 60 F weather (with rain!) while having > 50% SOC. That's patently absurd IMO.

16. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

I agree. I think they should tone down their projected range algorithm especially when it comes to limiting acceleration. It should most definitely take into account the SOC of the battery and only start to freak out/limit power delivery once it reaches say, 15-20%.

I had 250-300km of range left on my battery when it started to limit power output (and hence fun). That's quite a pessimistic algorithm. :)

17. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

So if it's using projected range does anyone know which projected range it is using 10/25/50km? Does it help to set the graph to 50km??

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Wow. How much below 50% ? I've never seen the acceleration limiter even when driving home on the freeway in the rain, with a/c on (for de-fogging) and below 50% SOC. (I do see the re-gen limiter for a bit whenever the ambient temps are below about 40 F).

19. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Strange, the only times I've seen power limited on my Roadster have been when the motor overheated (track day) or SOC dropped below 15%. At that level the projected range and ideal range were roughly the same, so hard to tell if it's using projected range for the limit.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Pretty sure the Roadster only goes by temperatures and very low State Of Charge (SOC). That's what the Model S ought to do.

If the Model S really is backing off due to the Projected Range calculation, then it's ironic that Tesla created the same track-day problem in Model S that they have in Roadster, but managed to implement it entirely in software...

I'll see for myself how it behaves on Monday.