Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Share the SC network with Daimler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats kind of the whole point. Daimler has a big strategic partnership and a whopping 10% stake in Telsa. This makes complete sense. I would be very surprised if Tesla and Mercedes don't share the superchargers. Like Lloyd said this could be very good for everyone.

One problem is that superchargers are placed assuming a 60kWh battery. Tesla didn't even want to support their own 40kWh cars, and now they're going to support a 28kWh car? It would most likely run out of charge before it even reached the supercharger.

One problem is that superchargers are placed assuming a 60kWh battery. Tesla didn't even want to support their own 40kWh cars, and now they're going to support a 28kWh car? It would most likely run out of charge before it even reached the supercharger.

You have a good point there. Tesla may have worked out a deal, though, where Daimler will help expand the Supercharger network in exchange for the B-Class ED being Supercharger compatible.

I thought that Daimler (same as Mercedes right?) had signed on to the J1772 combo plug.
Yes, but the two plugs are pin-compatible. It'd be easy to have both, or provide an adapter. The bigger issue is the 28kWh size, and attendant faster relative rate of charging. There's no doubt, though, that having Daimler's cash and clout would speed the SC network buildout. And since I doubt that Mercedes Bs will sell nearly as well as Model Ss, Model S owners will benefit.

And since I doubt that Mercedes Bs will sell nearly as well as Model Ss, Model S owners will benefit.

heh, read that as Mercedes B.S.

I agree with all the above though. In fact, if they roll enough out, Daimler might be tempted to offer bigger packs (though, if they roll a BUNCH out, I guess significantly larger packs might not be 100% necessary).

In fact, if they roll enough out, Daimler might be tempted to offer bigger packs (though, if they roll a BUNCH out, I guess significantly larger packs might not be 100% necessary).

you mean like this one, the 2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG EV,that has a 60kWh battery, 748 ft-lbs torque, and 0-62 in 3.9 seconds? too bad it'll cost you $600,000 though, lol. it also broke down during the reviewer's test drive, haha. http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/2014-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-electric-drive-real-184056062.html

Also, maybe some Benz dealerships would install superchargers. Perhaps they would hire techs that could work on Teslas as well. More choice can be a good thing. Even if the MBZ dealers charged a fee for charger use, I can see traveling Tesla drivers using the network. Win-win for all parties

Maybe Daimler/Mercedes plans to introduce more cars in the future using Tesla battery tech under a license agreement which would include supercharging, just as for Tesla cars. I could see this as a big win-win for both companies, and it could result in an even more rapid expansion of the electric car revolution. Seems that Daimler and Toyota are already using Tesla's battery and drive train tech. I feel pretty sure that these bigs are just waiting for the electric car market to blow wide open, and they will be right there ready to enter the fray and scoop up market share. They are letting Tesla be the point of the spear, to change the market. They are positioning themselves to capitalize at the right moment, without having to incur much of the cost themselves of R&D, and infrastructure development. They can afford to let Tesla make the first steps, and offer support in particular ways. They can "partner" with Tesla in building out the supercharger networks and establishing the standards and protocols. When the moment is right they will be poised to enter the market quickly and competitively, and theoretically well ahead of the other "bigs," because they have been at Tesla's side in these early days. It suits their interest well to let Tesla be the leader in establishing the market for the new EV's. From their perspective, Tesla's risk is to their benefit. Just guessing!

They could just program it so that the 28kW battery tells the Supercharger to deliver only say 30kW or whatever that battery can take, just in the same way the SC tapers down as the battery fills up on the Model S.
Pros: Tesla's standard becomes embraced by one of the big automakers. Combined sales of Tesla EV + Mercedes EV will exceed those of Tesla alone, making for more money to fund the SC network
Cons: An electric B-class may occupy a SC for 30 minutes to charge less than 20kWh while a Model S could have charged 40-50kWh in that time (? with the 120kW SC).

I see potential sharing of the SC network as a positive - faster buildout, will build desire for Tesla product with expanded range, will associate and give exposure to the Mercedes market (because, of course, they'll market that their cars can use Tesla SC) and and and.

Theory of abundance. Not a competition. They win, we win.

Mercedes could handle SuperChargers near major cities and Mercedes dealerships leaving the intercity routes to Tesla. Or they could work together on everything. As long as they build them out fast enough so you are not always waiting for a spot, it would be a good thing.

If both companies contribute/fund X # of superghargers for Y # of vehicles sold it could make more available for everyone, and possibly lend to standardize the Tesla connector and supercharging. Could be good for everybody!

I also agree with Lloyd. Then it would be even better for Europe where, being Damler a European brand, the Supercharger network could spread more easily.

I see potential sharing of the SC network as a positive - faster buildout, will build desire for Tesla product with expanded range, will associate and give exposure to the Mercedes market (because, of course, they'll market that their cars can use Tesla SC) and and and.

Theory of abundance. Not a competition. They win, we win.
Not if we're waiting more often in the supercharger line because of it.

If the end result is that that's not the case, then sure.

Another factor I have not seen mentioned yet: Credibility afforded by MB brand. I think that in the eyes of Joe Schmoe, perception of Tesla would be lifted greatly by TM being treated "as an equal" by this MB. Applies even more in Europe than in the US.

TMC users will know that Tesla smoked MB a long time ago, but that understanding has yet to penetrate into the broad masses. :)