Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Share Your Autopilot Saves for Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When downloading the vehicle logs here: https://upload.teslamotors.com/ are owners able to see the logs or are they encrypted so that only Tesla Service can read them?

I'm asking because it would be cool to back up some stories with data and make them more credible to counter the media attention on the crash. Crashes always have pictures. People love pictures.

They are no pictures when there's no crash. Vehicle logs are the pictures.

This is for roadster only, unfortunately.

• Informative
Reactions: FredLambert
When downloading the vehicle logs here: https://upload.teslamotors.com/ are owners able to see the logs or are they encrypted so that only Tesla Service can read them?

I'm asking because it would be cool to back up some stories with data and make them more credible to counter the media attention on the crash. Crashes always have pictures. People love pictures.

Love your site btw, I have read almost every article :)

Reactions: Kalud
"Tesla fans are so crazy and dedicated that they willfully go out of their way to put themselves, and others, in danger in order to provide <Autopilot saves> for Tesla, complete with dashcam footage and sensor data stored in the cars"

Not quite the proper PR angle?

Can we move all these posts by KZKZ including mine to off topic? This is a thread about autopilot saves, not the semantics of auto braking vs auto steering.

If this is a thread about AutoPilot saves, then all the posts about AEB saves should be moved to different thread.

Continuing to confuse the two doesn't help to advance Tesla's education process about AP.

First day I got my 70D I was distracted by something on the side of the road and the AEB warning alarm got my eyes back on the road and foot on the brake in time to prevent a really dumb rear end collision.

That's a great FCW story, but I'm told that is off topic and needs to be in a different thread.

This thread is for AP saves only, not FCW or AEB.

That's a great FCW story, but I'm told that is off topic and needs to be in a different thread.

Good for you buddy. Moderator - can somebody ban this guy? Read back through his post history - several of think he joined to short the stock, or he's some intern somewhere working for a short.

He joined to talk up Mercedes, and now is attempting to clear a thread about autopilot saves with FUD about what autopilot is. Let's just get rid of this guy.

The problem with anything that has do with Autopilot is the obsession the media has with linking it to lane-steering, and autonomous driving.

When the fatality accident happened in Florida the media was quick to report how it was the first time a fatality accident happened in a "self-driving" car. Where they were completely ignorant of the fact that it's not really a self-driving, and that the most important element of the crash was the failure of the AEB system to activate.

The media did automotive consumers a huge disservice because they completely left out the effectiveness of AEB's systems as part of the discussion. That it was likely that a lot of AEB systems would have failed to activate in that situation. Even consumer reports couldn't be bothered to address the real issue that AEB systems simply aren't very good, and there isn't a whole lot of independent testing/ratings to really make one system stick out from another system.

Do any of you know how well the Tesla AEB stacks up against the Subaru AEB or the MB AEB system? The media reporting could have also been a huge disservice to Tesla owners, but luckily the company ignored the noise and instead concentrated on enhancing the capabilities of the AEB system. Where they knew they could prevent another similar tragedy if they could make it better for the CURRENT HARDWARE.

I'm not sure how it does me any good to hear about times where some component of the Autopiliot hardware prevented an accident or saved a pedestrian from serious injury. Sure they are great stories, and having FCW did play a role in why I bought a Tesla. So of course they're a good read, and I'm not knocking them. The problem is they don't really tell me anything statistically.

What I want is actual test data from Tesla on both prevention and false positives. Something that tells me the effectiveness of both the AEB, FCW, and collision avoidance. I also want to know the limitations in terms of speed differences for TACC, and the typical reaction time. I also want more information from Tesla on how the lane-steering component of Autopilot updates. I do understand that occasionally the car gets sent "tiles" that update the mapping information, but that's all I've heard. I don't even know if that's correct.

What?? Why do you keep bringing up things I don't know about.. Damn you. :)

Now I'm going to have to investigate that since I wasn't even aware I could download logs, and I've had the car for over a year. I swear I'm here in these forums almost every day as well. But, I've seen no mention of it.

To be honest I've hated that I couldn't get at the logs. The DJI drone I have allows me to review all the logs to see exactly what happened during a flight. In terms of what the drone saw, and what it measured. It's massively helpful in learning about it.

Good for you buddy. Moderator - can somebody ban this guy? Read back through his post history - several of think he joined to short the stock, or he's some intern somewhere working for a short.

He joined to talk up Mercedes, and now is attempting to clear a thread about autopilot saves with FUD about what autopilot is. Let's just get rid of this guy.

Very sorry to point out when there is incorrect information out there, but the facts are important.

It's a little odd that when I point out a factual statement, a statement that is backed up by Tesla's own web site, you accuse me of shorting the stock.

Can you please explain to me how stating the fact that AEB is a standard feature, and does not require the optional AutoPilot to work is some kind of market moving information ?

If I write that ABS is standard and doesn't require AutoPilot to work, is that somehow going to tank the stock? Should accidents avoided by ABS be trumpeted as a save by AutoPilot?

Last edited:
FCW works really well. I took my eyes off the road for 30 seconds today and the car in front of me stopped. Didn't notice until BEEP BEEP BEEP. whoa.

Very glad this is a standard feature on all models. I can see this preventing a ton of slow speed fender benders.

FCW works really well. I took my eyes off the road for 30 seconds today and the car in front of me stopped. Didn't notice until BEEP BEEP BEEP. whoa.

Very glad this is a standard feature on all models. I can see this preventing a ton of slow speed fender benders.

Yes, FCW and AEB are very valuable and becoming much more common. All 2017 Toyota's will come with it standard, even the cheapest Toyotas.

Here is my real life AP save story. I drove 20 miles on the freeway on AP, and nothing happened!

You have to consider that most AP saves will be unknown. We have all been driving on busy freeways and had someone next to us veer into our lane, or we have done it to someone ourselves. Sometimes fast, by not checking blind spots, sometimes slowly by being distracted and not realizing we were leaving our lane. I suspect that AP, simply by keeping us in our lane, even when we are distracted, has probably prevented many accidents.

What do we normally think of, system wise, when we think of fire safety in the home? Smoke detectors? Fire extinguishers? We don't think about how many homes are not burned down every year because we have modern heating and cooking systems instead of open hearth fires. I am sure those systems save many more from fires than all the extinguishers and smoke alarms that we think so much more about. The AP may do some active saves, but the real safety is in it's simply keeping us smoothly in our lane. Like the heating in our homes, we never see what might have been. And yes, heating systems occasionally fail and actually cause fires. But they prevent many more than they cause.

The AP will save many more lives than anyone will ever know.

Reactions: ModelX and spottyq