Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Share your holiday supercharging experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last week was the first major holiday of the year and there's a lot more teslas on the road. Share your experiences here.

Here's mine:
On wed Nov 23rd (day before thanksgiving), I drove from NV to LA and then up to the bay area. Barstow was still closed, but not an issue for a 90D. Primm and Rancho Cucamonga both had amateur flyers posted on the chargers notifying of Barstow's closure. Next stop was Burbank LA, which as usual was crowded, I had to wait for a stall to open. Last stop was Harris ranch which was pretty empty. All superchargers gave me 110kW at <40% charge.

On the return trip (26 nov), first stop was Gilroy which was packed and I had to wait. Next was Fountain Valley LA, which was empty in the middle of the night. Followed by Barstow which had opened back up, but for some reason was only giving me 60-70 kW at 5% to 50% battery level which is slower than usual, and it seemed to have momentary dips a lot. There was one other Tesla there and they were spaced far apart from me. Last stop was downtown Vegas which again only gave me 60kW at 10% to 50% which is unusually low, and there was only one other Tesla there, not next to my stall. Outside temperatures were relatively constant around 50*F and shouldn't be a factor.

Concluding thoughts: In the near future Tesla needs to expand their crowded city superchargers now that the number of cars on the road is growing, especially in the upcoming year. I never had to wait for more than 1-2 cars, but it seems really close to getting bad. Normal supercharging on a road trip is bearable, but having to wait in line pushes it far into the impractical region. Also Tesla needs to address the superchargers randomly only working at ~half speed, this slowed me down a decent amount. Some sort of info as to why the charge rate isn't at max or what's limiting it. The crowded superchargers with every stall taken could still give me a full 110kW, so I don't understand why I got nearly half that other times when most stalls were empty.

Still, an overall positive experience as I drove 1500 miles for free and the car did most of the driving!

We traveled off-peak to avoid traffic (not out of concern for supercharging):

Tuesday evening (11/22), driving from Dallas to Austin we reached the Waco supercharger around 5:30 pm and saw one other Tesla there.

Saturday evening (11/26), returning to Dallas from Austin, we charged in Waco around 9:30 pm and didn't see anyone else charging, though one Tesla pulled into the lot as we were leaving.

I have a P85D. After experiencing some pretty nasty congestion/slow charging at the supercharging stops between the Bay Area and around Sacramento on the day before Thanksgiving, I was able to go from about 40 miles of range to 300 miles of range in 3 minutes on Saturday.

How???

I drove my VW. Filled the tank in 3 minutes. No lines at the gas station, no need to wait over an hour to get sufficient range and I grabbed a cup of coffee during the refuel. Nope, it wasn't "free" but my time has value. The problems with supercharging are quickly making the ICE car the more attractive option.

I'm still in awe of people outside of California that pull into these near-empty stations or while charging they get people walking up and wanting to talk to them about the car or take pictures.

Living in the Bay Area I'm pretty jaded, this morning when driving to work at 8:30am I was at a stop light in silicon valley (central expressway for your locals) and there were 4 other Teslas (besides me) at the light. They are freaking everywhere. It used to be that way with Prius 10 years ago, now it's Teslas.
Our Bay Area chargers are pretty much jammed and a line waiting only all hours of the day, Teslas everywhere in assorted colors like Skittles. Somewhere I have a picture I took at work of 12 chargepoint stations with 11 Teslas parked in them.

I forget that they are still a novelty in other parts of the country.

• Informative
Reactions: Sugacookie
I work in the Bay Area too. It seems I buy the cars that the rest of the herd buys. In 2008, I bought a Prius which was long after it became a thing. It was then the most common car on Bay Area roads. Then last year, I bought an S....long after it became a thing. There are some mornings on 680 and 880 where I can literally see a dozen Teslas in site. I've been in a train of 7 Teslas in the commute lane more than once. I think it was even 8 once. It's like everyone has them here.

Reactions: dhcp
I charged at the Monterey-Seaside SC on Saturday. One slot open when I arrived so I had to pair with an MX. I was at about 15% and got 56kW. The MX departed after about 15min and I was getting 84kW when I was at 95RM.

While I was there only two cars departed, three cars were there when I arrived and when I departed, poor etiquette by somebody.

Crowded superchargers are not a problem in my neck of the woods. Drove from Baltimore to NYC the day before Thanksgiving with two supercharger stops: Newark DE and East Brunswick NJ (which has only four stalls). Newark was busy but there were about 6 stalls open. There was no one at East Brunswick so that was an easy in and out.

On the way back Saturday I made it all the way to Newark, DE before needing to charge. There were at least 10 stalls open.

On both legs the only Teslas I saw were at the superchargers.

The only problem I've had with supercharger access was in California, when I drove there for TMC Connect in 2015

Did a round trip from Atlanta to Dallas on the bookend weekends of Thanksgiving. On the outbound, driving west along I-20 did not see a single Tesla until Lindale and the return eastbound I-20 leg saw two other Teslas, one at Monroe and another one in Birmingham.

Must seem like a foreign concept for those in California.

All across I80 in NV over Turkey week. Always had max charging (>300 mph at ~20% SOC). Only saw 2 cars at six charger stops until we got to Reno (Atlantis). There were 6 stalls and two cars plugged in that had no occupants and the cars did not seem to be charging. We charged for an hour at max rate. The owners never showed up during the hour before we left. Good thing nobody else came by. Pretty tacky IMHO.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
We were relatively lucky this past holiday weekend . . .
Wed, 23-Nov: ~1pm Atascadero 2 chargers available, no wait --> ~4pm Oxnard 3 chargers available, no wait
Sat, 26-Nov: ~Noon Oxnard 4 chargers available, no wait --> ~3pm Atascadero 0 chargers available, 1 minute wait (3 cars waiting as we left).

On both legs, traffic through Santa Barbara was a nightmare - made typical LA traffic seem light.

Roundtrip from Tahoe to Los Angeles, taking the 395: Gardnerville NV: (actually Topaz) Just me; Mammoth: Me and another S; Mojave: Just me. On the way back, I additionally stopped in Lone Pine: Just me. Honestly, it was like my own personal Supercharging route. Charging at all locations was fast. Traffic was really light too, down on a Tuesday, up on a Monday.

Reactions: HumanGenome
Holiday season day trip from Madison to Chicago for Christkindlmarket, stopped at Rockford Supercharger both ways, only one other Tesla there each time.

It's a nice location with a Starbucks inside the Barnes & Noble, but I no longer consider Supercharging "free" when they are next to a shopping mall and my family is along!

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus
Went from San Diego to Atlanta and back (S60). Stopped at 21 different SuCs, coming and going, plus the one in San Diego when we got back.
Never more than one other car in any of them, except for Atlanta, until we got back to San Diego and had to charge here. I was the 12th car in 12 stalls and left after just charging enough to get where I needed to go and get home to charge there - 56kW. Everywhere else was consistently ~95kW up to 50%, then sliding downward to low 30kW (if charging to 100%). As others have said, California is getting to a tipping point, everyone else is spoiled.

Reactions: HumanGenome